Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:48 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Tragic death, but I'm not buying the cookie story.
So what do you think happened to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 06:37 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I thought most kids know what Reese's are, especially if they have peanut allergies. I wonder if she is from another country and wasn't familiar with American candy products.
That is a possibility. Weston, Florida has many residents originating from outside the US.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
My oldest son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy at around age 2. We used a slow exposure method of introducing peanut products to him gradually over time. By age 7 we had rid him of his allergy. Not 2 days ago I saw him eating a spoonful of peanut butter, at age 10. lol

All is not lost when a kid is diagnosed with an allergy. I think my son only became allergic because we followed our doctor's advice to not give him any exposure to peanut products until age 2. I think it was a shock to his system when we suddenly started exposing him to it. We did not use this approach with our other 2 children and neither one ended up with an allergy.
You are lucky that your son does NOT have a true, life threatening, allergy to peanuts. I do. I am an adult that carries an EpiPen 24/7. In my purse, in my car, my bf and all of my friends carry one. All of my friends and neighbors also keep one at their house, "just in case". I have half a dozen laying around my house and at my BF's house, just in case.

I am/and have been smart enough to know, even as a kid, that I can not take a chance by eating something if I don't know exactly what is in it. I have also had to deal with the A holes calling me "picky" all my life. Not picky, just don't feel the need to announce my severe food allergies to the world...

I do feel sorry for the family of that teen but, seriously? They can not blame the cookie company for their child making a stupid choice. I have had a reaction to food that stated "processed on machine that also manufactures peanuts. etc.," I actually had a reaction to a "peanut free" product that resulted in my neighbor having to use an EpiPen on me and then taking me to the emergency room. My fault. Never thought Panera's plain bagel would have a nut in it.

My boyfriend has had to deal with my having a reaction after we had dinner at a restaurant. I should have known better, servers lie because so many customers lie about "allergies". He is, to this day, hesitant to take me out to eat, because of that reaction.

BTW, I have had these allergies my whole life. I have also gone into anaphylactic shock once, as an adult, but fortunately, I was already in the emergency room.

I am so sick of these "sue happy, blame the world, oh woe is me" people. If your kid is not allergic then they should be able to eat a PB&J at lunch or eat peanuts at little league baseball games. Makes me mad that people will find any excuse to blame others for their own choices/faults. Not just this issue but all the crap going on.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:57 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
This is so sad. I'm curious about the original article, though. The mother said she recognized the red package and thought they were safe. I've never seen Chips A Hoy in a red package. It's always blue.
What am I missing? Do they have several varieties of cookies in red packages?

There was a girl here at University of Texas who died during her graduation ceremony several years ago. Awful awful story. Before graduation she went to a reception for grads, and ate carrot cake after asking the server if it contained nuts. She was told no.

And so during the ceremony she felt the affects of an allergic reaction, but it was too late by the time she sought help. Embarrassed, I guess. SO VERY SAD.

The lesson here, IMHO, is if you have a lethal allergy to nuts, don't eat commercially prepared carrot cake no matter what the staff says. Most carrot cakes contain nuts. How about for dessert you have ice cream with caramel sauce? Or if nothing else is available for dessert, just settle for the carrot sticks and cheese cubes at the reception.

SO SAD.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Looking around on the net, it seems that parents of children with allergies want Chips A Hoy to put a skull and crossbones poison label on their reeses cookies.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
So what do you think happened to her?
I wonder too. What a very odd response.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
You are lucky that your son does NOT have a true, life threatening, allergy to peanuts. I do. I am an adult that carries an EpiPen 24/7. In my purse, in my car, my bf and all of my friends carry one. All of my friends and neighbors also keep one at their house, "just in case". I have half a dozen laying around my house and at my BF's house, just in case.

I am/and have been smart enough to know, even as a kid, that I can not take a chance by eating something if I don't know exactly what is in it. I have also had to deal with the A holes calling me "picky" all my life. Not picky, just don't feel the need to announce my severe food allergies to the world...

I do feel sorry for the family of that teen but, seriously? They can not blame the cookie company for their child making a stupid choice. I have had a reaction to food that stated "processed on machine that also manufactures peanuts. etc.," I actually had a reaction to a "peanut free" product that resulted in my neighbor having to use an EpiPen on me and then taking me to the emergency room. My fault. Never thought Panera's plain bagel would have a nut in it.

My boyfriend has had to deal with my having a reaction after we had dinner at a restaurant. I should have known better, servers lie because so many customers lie about "allergies". He is, to this day, hesitant to take me out to eat, because of that reaction.

BTW, I have had these allergies my whole life. I have also gone into anaphylactic shock once, as an adult, but fortunately, I was already in the emergency room.

I am so sick of these "sue happy, blame the world, oh woe is me" people. If your kid is not allergic then they should be able to eat a PB&J at lunch or eat peanuts at little league baseball games. Makes me mad that people will find any excuse to blame others for their own choices/faults. Not just this issue but all the crap going on.
So if you could die on a plane if your seatmate took out a jar of peanuts and started crunching them in your airspace, you'd be actually fine with that and willing to die so he doesn't have to be inconvenienced by your deadly allergy?

You're talking out both sides of your face. I was on a plane last week and the flight attendant announced that there was someone with a severe peanut allergy on the plane, and "if you brought a snack on the plane containing nuts, please don't open it and eat it. If you need an alternative snack during the flight please consult the flight attendants and we will comp you that."

All of your friends have epipens at their homes, you have several in your home and your boyfriend is constantly having to deal with your deadly allergic reactions, but you think people near you should be able to eat peanut butter sandwiches with abandon knowing your condition?

What?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So if you could die on a plane of your seatmate took out a jar of peanuts and started crunching them in your airspace, you'd be actually fine with that and willing to die so he doesn't have to be inconvenienced by your deadly allergy?

You're talking out both sides of your face. I was on a plane last week and the flight attendant announced that there was someone with a severe peanut allergy on the plane, and "if you brought a snack on the plane containing nuts, please don't open it and eat it. If you need an alternative snack during the flight please consult the flight attendants and we will comp you that."

No I'm not.

I'm not stupid enough to actually eat or touch my seatmates peanuts. I have made it into adulthood without a reaction caused by someone else eating peanuts in my presence. And I have been on plenty of flights where peanuts are served as an inflight snack.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Agree, at 15 she should have carried an epipen and could have called 911 from friends house. This is not rocket science. I know a very young autistic child who was capable of calling 911 when his mom needed attention. Maybe if it had been dosed faster she would have been ok.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:49 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I'm 58, and growing up in the 1960's and 70's I never knew anyone with a food allergy. Now it's peanuts, soy, gluten, etc.

Yes same here. Also all the ADHD and other diagnoses, that many kids have today. Nothing. And we had a lot of kids in our classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events