Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 PM

15,299 posts, read 8,907,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
When we're in Vegas - I usually leave the maids all our change - usually $5-$10 a day - no one has ever refused it. Most people don't have a problem.
OMG, why would you do that to a maid? Do you seriously want to make a maid carry around $10 in change for the rest of the work day? They would probably be happier with a $5 bill, then $10 in change. Can you imagine what it would be like if everybody did that? They would be carrying around about 15 pounds of coins by the end of their shift. Way to make somebody's job harder than it already is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

He actually did pay in nickels and dimes.
At least they didn't bring in a big jar of 4,500 pennies. LOL.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:18 PM

26,580 posts, read 36,498,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Cash = bills AND coins, though. So while the (other poster's) statement that "they can't legally refuse one form of tender" isn't technically true, if they accept CASH that includes all forms of it. So in this case, I don't think they could say "no coins; only bills." That would get tricky, unless your business only sold in whole dollar amounts and didn't have sales tax.

That is what I was trying to say. If they accept cash, they accept cash -- they don't get to turn coins away and call the parents and demand they come down with paper money, as the poster I was responding to in a previous post suggested.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-19-2018 at 09:57 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:29 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,038,513 times
I'm thinking about the comments that would have been made if the kid was wearing a red 'MAGA' hat.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Curious why you had to pay the difference. Learn the labor laws. You are not responsible for a debt owed by a customer no matter how your boss spun it to you. That's like saying that a shoplifter in a retail store that you saw stealing. ..you would have to pay for that item. Gosh seems logical to understand that you willingly paid under the wrong in formation . I'm sorry that you did pay. It wasn't yours to do.
I was responsible for my own bank money. At the end of the shift I had to turn in a certain amount of cash. Telling my manager that I was short, was not an option. It was my responsibility, to count the money. I also did not have time to count large amounts of change in the middle of my shift. Doing so would have made other deliveries late, and would have cost me runs. Which would have cost me additional money. Fortunately people paying with change was not a common occurrence. It was just the occasional bad customer.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's not the case in all states, and from what I recall, Cloudy came from California.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

His situation sounds like one of those where his employer expected servers to carry their own bank and make change out of that. At the end of the shift, their bills are tallied up and they pay that amount, so yeah, I can see how he got cheated.
That is correct.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Some stores are thrilled to get change for the register. . . I don't see what is so shameful about change. . . . money is money.
Stores normally have rolls of coins in their safe. I don't know any store employees who are thrilled about counting large amounts of change.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
He was a teenager who took his tips from a server job with him to the restaurant, not someone who busted out his piggy bank to be able to afford to go. For all you know, he's got a real bank account. The point remains that he paid with legal tender. Sorry that's so hard for some of you to accept, but as long as the restaurant accepts U.S. currency, he's got every right to pay with coins.
If he had a real bank account he should have rolled up the coins and deposited them in his account. Then used his credit or debit card to pay for his food, like 99% of everybody else does.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 PM

16,006 posts, read 21,016,465 times
Quote:
That is what I was trying to say. If they accept cash, they accept cash -- they don't get to turn coins away and call the parents and demand they come down with paper money, as the poster I was responding to in a previous post suggested.
I don't know if that is entirely accurate. I work for a fortune 50 and I've been told we are allowed to turn away large amounts of loose change as a form of payment. That could be inaccurate or it could be because we haven't actually created a debt situation until the customer gets to the point of sale.

I'm just surprised that as a server this kid didn't realize what a PITA his method of payment was. Wondering if he's going to regret it when somebody gets the idea that what is good for the goose is good for the gander, and they play the same stunt on him, repeatedly.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:52 PM

1,289 posts, read 933,990 times
Quote:
I didn't claim that businesses could not refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. What I said was that they can't suddenly refuse to accept currency and then turn around and demand the type of currency that's convenient for them.

Quite a few businesses are actually going the "no cash" route, btw. For your research:

https://www.sfgate.com/business/arti...e-12456054.php

Again, businesses can refuse to accept cash. What they can't do is apply that to some customers and not to others. They don't get to make up a "no cash" rule on the spot because they don't want to be inconvenienced with coins. ETA they might have some legal rights in this instance if it had been clearly posted policy, but that clearly wasn't the case.

I'm not sure why some people even go into business. This is a prime example of why so many businesses simply don't make it.
I'm not seeing where I said you claimed businesses could not refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. And I don't see where you said earlier that they can't suddenly refuse to accept currency and then turn around and demand the type of currency that's convenient for them. But I don't see everything. Point these out to me.

What I am asking is what does the law say? I'm looking for a statute or statutes spelling out the rights of businesses in this matter, and how businesses are to practice those rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events