Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,680,551 times

Advertisements

My hubby was so upset with his last insurance bill -- We changed companies and the old one had a $41.00 carry over fee or something. So he went and paid it in pennies. Yeah, he was that mad.

Nothing wrong with making a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:03 PM

16,005 posts, read 21,016,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
My hubby was so upset with his last insurance bill -- We changed companies and the old one had a $41.00 carry over fee or something. So he went and paid it in pennies. Yeah, he was that mad.

Nothing wrong with making a statement.
It's not making a statement, he didn't do anything except make the day worse for some low level clerk that has nothing to do with making policy. It might have made a statement if he was able to go the office of the CEO or some other VIP and do that, but otherwise people paying bills with a load of loose change is just a petty form of aggression.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:10 PM

26,580 posts, read 36,498,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
I'm not seeing where I said you claimed businesses could not refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. And I don't see where you said earlier that they can't suddenly refuse to accept currency and then turn around and demand the type of currency that's convenient for them. But I don't see everything. Point these out to me.

What I am asking is what does the law say? I'm looking for a statute or statutes spelling out the rights of businesses in this matter, and how businesses are to practice those rights.
The remark about businesses not that accept cash not being able to suddenly demand cash payments of the type that's convenient for them was in response to a post - yours, I think? About how they should have refused the coins and called the parents demanding paper money. You even quoted it quite recently, so I'm not following where you're unable to find it, sorry. The remark about how I didn't claim that businesses couldn't accept cash was a direct response to a some copy-and-paste you made about how businesses can indeed refuse to accept cash.

They just don't get to make that rule up on the spot to apply to only one customer. It's also rather moot because the business accepted the payment.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,964,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Cash = bills AND coins, though. So while the (other poster's) statement that "they can't legally refuse one form of tender" isn't technically true, if they accept CASH that includes all forms of it. So in this case, I don't think they could say "no coins; only bills." That would get tricky, unless your business only sold in whole dollar amounts and didn't have sales tax.
I don't see why they couldn't say that. How would it be any different then businesses that don't except any bill larger than a $20?

Old 07-19-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
But you expect a kid to - how hypocritical!
I expect a kid to what?

Old 07-19-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
One more time... The restaurant has to deal with all that ($35 in) change. The server has to deal with $10. Not a big issue.
You've obviously never worked at a restaurant if you think a server has nothing to do with your bill. You think every time a table pays in cash, the server runs and gives the money to a manger? No, they keep it till the end of their shift. If their total cash sales were more then their credit card tips, then they would give the manager money at the end of the night. But if most people pay with a card, the restaurant would owe the server money.

Even if the server owed the restaurant money, most managers I had would have laughed at me if I tried to pay them with all those nickles and dimes. They're busy, they have other servers to check out, and other work to do around the restaurant. They don't have time to sit and count change.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 PM

10,312 posts, read 8,499,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

He actually did pay in nickles and dimes.

Why should the server be greatful that he was too lazy to go to a coinstar? His laziness just means the server now has to waste their own time going to coinstar. It still costs the server part of the tip, I don't know why you think it won't.
Doesn't coinstar keep part of the total and give you what's left?
I'm sure he could have gone to coinstar, got less money back, and tipped the server less. Then the server doesn't have to go to coinstar in exchange for the smaller tip.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
When I was a server (many moons ago), we didn't actually count all the cash until after closing - and tips were split equally between the servers, minus a certain percentage to the kitchen staff. All restaurants have their own procedures, but it wasn't like I had to sit down and count money after every table. Heck, I barely had time to even look at the bills! We just assumed it was all there, and IIRC the "dine and dashers" were extremely rare.
You're more trusting of people then I am. I made sure each of my tables paid their bill in full, and I tried to do it before they left. There was the occasional time when a table would accidently short me. If I didn't catch it in time, then I would have been the one responsible for paying the remainder of their bill. I wasnt their to pay for other people's meals, I had my own bills to pay.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Doesn't coinstar keep part of the total and give you what's left?
I'm sure he could have gone to coinstar, got less money back, and tipped the server less. Then the server doesn't have to go to coinstar in exchange for the smaller tip.
Why would he tip less because Coinstar charges a transaction fee? That has nothing to do with the server's job.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 PM

44,585 posts, read 61,397,779 times
This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...al-tender.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events