Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
If I tip in two silver quarters.....which I might very well do for those are easy enough, with my connections, to come by, one ought to appreciate it because they are far greater than face value. Further, that is what I said in my post you referred to.
Not everyone appreciates the same hobbies as you do. Just leave a normal tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
When I waited tables, this wasn't a big deal.

The bosses always liked it because they didn't have to go to the bank to get change for customers...they could "buy" our smaller bills.

I never got a lot of change (and I got excited about the change I did get, since I had a "change jar" at home), but I bet they would have done the same thing in this situation.

It worked out well for both of us...they could skip an unnecessary trip to the bank, and we didn't have to go home with a huge wad of $1 and $5 bills.

The restaurant was WRONG in this situation. Especially since it was quarters...not pennies or something. (Not that I would've agreed with the restaurant shaming the customer then, but it would be a little more understandable).

I waited tables for a long time (and not THAT long ago...it's been about 8 years now, so I'm not talking about "the good old days" in the 70s or something). I noticed a LONG time ago that bartenders try to act like SNOBS. Now, it seems like restaurant servers are trying to do the same thing.

Now, I was in the industry for quite some time, and I would NEVER snub someone because they wait tables or pour drinks for a living. That said, it has become obvious to me -- even in small-time bars and restaurants -- that many bartenders and servers really act high and mighty and as if they're better than their customers. Weird.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:05 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Back in 1983-5 I dated someone in Rockland County and lived on the Westchester side. That entailed a trip over the Tappan Zee Bridge which had, at the time, about a $2.00 toll. When I accumulated enough pennies I gave the toll collector four penny rolls.

I didn't stick around to gauge the reaction, and in 1983 didn't check Facebook.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:34 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
Money is money. Any quarters you don't want? Send me 8 and I'll pay you a dollar.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:11 AM

17 posts, read 7,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Money is money & a $10 tip is good, whether it is in coins or bills. I think the restaurateur was wrong to make an issue out of this & I hope patrons do show up with stacks of coins to pay.
In my country it is actually illegal to pay with "small money" if you go over a certain amount of coins.

This is to prevent idiots paying 100 dollar with 1 cent coins for example.

You can use (small) coins to pay but with a limit.

(not stating that I agree with the shaming on Facebook, that is just idiotic)

Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
I see the courtsystem working through facebook and youtube in the near future. Everything is judged upon via social media.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:34 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree they should not have shamed him publicly. They should have just asked him privately to not come back.

I think a better idea is to post a sign stating the forms of payment that will be accepted and that loose change cannot be used to pay a bill.
Any restaurant employee or owner who asks me to not come back will not only have their 20+% tip revoked, but the full payment revoked as well. If they feel their business is in such high demand that they can afford to be picky about acceptable forms of payment, that's cool, then I'll spare them the devastating tragedy of having to count my money.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:14 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not misinformation. You may have been above board, but a lot of small restaurants aren't, they know their employees are too intimidated or too desperate for money to report them and lose the job. My son found himself working for a place like that in college, got out as soon as he could line up something else.
Most restaurants treat their employees like dirt. I worked in a high-end resort and of course, they didn't "require" us to pay for dine n dash people (or just clueless old people, more like---didn't put their room number on the slip for room charge) but if enough non-pays came through, we were at fault. So I often paid the missing bills out of my own tip money. It sucked, let me tell you. In one of those red states that pay only $2.13 an hour, too.

But all those coins, what a PITA.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:47 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I remember when my brother was in middle school he and his friend took their earnings from some summer chores and took the bus downtown and went out to eat at a well-known pizza place. They paid in coins because that is what they had. They were proud of themselves for earning the money and doing it on their own and for leaving a nice tip. For someone to shame a teenager for paying in coins is very rude and ungrateful and inconsiderate for what circumstances might be in play. Rather than assuming the person paying lacks social graces or is trying to be rude, why not just not make a big deal out of it, or even be happy? People find waaaay too much to get offended about sometimes.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Back in 1983-5 I dated someone in Rockland County and lived on the Westchester side. That entailed a trip over the Tappan Zee Bridge which had, at the time, about a $2.00 toll. When I accumulated enough pennies I gave the toll collector four penny rolls.

I didn't stick around to gauge the reaction, and in 1983 didn't check Facebook.
But at least you rolled your coins instead of just dumping a bunch of loose change on someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events