Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 07:27 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The crazy thing about this, if this happened about 15-20 yrs ago, nothing would have been done about it, police would probably laugh at the person who called for them to respond to such a thing!

Theres something odd in that, this kind of thing is treated so serious now, but very recently, it was not a big deal at all.

It makes me wonder what some things that are going on today (that no one really sees as wrong), but within a decade or so, it will be criminal.
It was always a big deal to the women who had to put up with it because no one would do anything about it. That is why the metoo thing is so strong—women have years and years of built up anger.

Only if you consider women to be nobodies can you say no one really sees it as wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 07:31 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
The cops wouldn't even have shown up, or if they had, the guy would be long gone by then.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:26 PM

727 posts, read 151,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge
Well they wanted it to look authentic!
Makes me wonder if this loser still has a girlfriend. I wonder how he would feel if a man grabbed his daughters like that?
I dont understand what the point would be to do that......

Yes that happens alot but why would she pick some random guy and do this??

Maybe your right,who is to say??

But I cant see WHY they would do this... What would is accomplish?

Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A bit of an overreaction, she at that stage was no longer "defending" herself, and I am sure if the roles were reversed, people would be freaking out and the guy arrested for assault.

At that, good for her, I hate guys like that, he got what he deserved.
Not an overreaction. No one has a right to touch your body like that. She had a right to grab the perp and toss him down, for the police to be called. So he didn't get away...and take her dignity with him.

Sorry, but that's the rule. If someone lays his hands on you first, all bets are off.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
But will his employer FIRE him for his actions off the clock?
What if they did? If one is a public jerk, wouldn't you expect those around you to distance themselves from you?

Old 07-22-2018, 07:29 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

But fact is she was not defending herself, she was retaliating. The threat had already passed, the guy did not grab and hold on to her, requiring her to take action to defend herself from the continued attack, she retaliated by having to grab the guy from behind.

I reluctantly agree. There was another incident not long ago, which was also caught on video, of another guy whacking a waitress on the bottom as she passed him. She called the police without returning any physical contact, which I thought was the better policy.

(However, the part of me that endured years of guys I didn’t even know grabbing and pawing me enjoyed seeing her taking the sob down.)

Old 07-22-2018, 07:31 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Well they wanted it to look authentic!
Makes me wonder if this loser still has a girlfriend. I wonder how he would feel if a man grabbed his daughters like that?
According to the article in the OP, the guy was arrested in front of his wife and 2 kids after the restaurant called the cops. He's in jail until Monday, presumably to appear before a judge on a charge of sexual assault. I wouldn't be surprised if he has to face the woman again, and maybe her family, in court. The guy, not only pissed off the waitress, but his stupidity has also subjected his own wife and kids to undeserved embarrassment and humiliation. Hmm, he might find himself facing a divorce as well. There's nothing wrong with admiring someone's ass, but it's pretty stupid to feel compelled to actually reach out and grab at the ass of a total stranger. What an idiot. Looks like he picked the wrong person to grab and has ended up making an ass of himself.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:29 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I reluctantly agree. There was another incident not long ago, which was also caught on video, of another guy whacking a waitress on the bottom as she passed him. She called the police without returning any physical contact, which I thought was the better policy.

(However, the part of me that endured years of guys I didn’t even know grabbing and pawing me enjoyed seeing her taking the sob down.)
I don’t think she retaliated or defended, she reacted. Once when a man attacked me in a parking garage I froze,never imagined I do that. For a few seconds I was unable to process what was happening. I thought I’d be a fighter or a screamer instantly. It was only after he had dragged me to the car that I went limp and then screamed and someone heard me. It’s always easy to decide what others should or shouldn’t do but until it actually happens to you you don’t know exactly how you’d react.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 AM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If it were staged, I doubt he would have spent two days in jail.

Given the fact that many Youtube videos are staged, it's not beyond the realm of possibility. Could be they think they'll make a bunch of money out of this. They're not far away from the talk show circuit now.

Old 07-22-2018, 09:31 AM

17 posts, read 7,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I was reading comments on this story on FB (that was a mistake!) and I was appalled at how many people were saying things like "if she doesn't want to be touched, she shouldn't dress like that" ( ) or people expressing sympathy for this poor guy whose life is going to be ruined because she overreacted ( ) and called the police (perhaps he should have thought about that before assaulting her!!)

If some guy grabs my ass like that, he'll be lucky to walk away with a hand still attached to his arm.
I actually agree with this one.
Not because of how she acted (her reaction is not the problem, nor the fact that she called the cops) however it is because everything is in the media.

A punishment should be what you get by the court. A jail punishment for example.
However how is naming him publicly going to help to rehabilitate him?
I actually made a post on this as well because I am not getting the USA system where people are always publicly shamed (even if they didn't to anything bad).

He did something he shouldn't and he should be punished by it but putting his info out there for ever isn't going to help in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events