Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they be banned?
Yes ban them 89 38.03%
No keep them 145 61.97%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:16 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
It is illegal in this country to throw any trash outside of a trash receptacle. It doesn't matter if it's a plastic drinking straw, a paper coffee cup, or a dirty diaper. ALL trash must go in trash cans so that it goes to a landfill/compost/recycle/energy from waste. NOT the rivers and oceans.

If you're on your way to bankruptcy court and don't want to be late, why would you waste your time going out of your way to pick up a penny off the sidewalk? The bankruptcy trustee isn't going to care because that is roundoff error. The key is to show up before it's too late and they take your house!

So it is with this asinine idea that if we ban ourselves from having plastic drinking straws, that will somehow reduce the volume of trash in the ocean. It will not.

We need to be spending our time and money on something that is actually useful, and that would be to stop other countries from dumping their trash in the rivers and oceans. It's not easy to do that, of course, but banning plastic straws is just a total waste of time and money that could be spent on boycotts of Asia, distributing flyers protesting Asian culture (i.e. littering), etc.

If you really think that banning plastic straws will make even a negligible difference in the amount of trash in the oceans, then you are actually part of the problem, because it means you are not interested in attacking the cause of all this trash -- Asia and their filthy ways!
Trash from Asia is not what is in the streets, streams, and rivers where I live. That is all from Americans. We are not perfect, even if someone else is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 11:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Five Asian Countries Dump More Plastic Into Oceans Than Anyone Else Combined: How You Can Help - Hannah Leung - Forbes Staff - Apr 21, 2018, 10:18pm

Quote:
Indonesia’s Citarum River*, blackened by debris beyond recognition, has been dubbed the most polluted river in the world. The situation has gotten so bad that the army was recently called in to remove the plastic waste -- and prevent further dumping in the waterway, according to media reports.

It’s just one sliver of the massive pollution problem in Asia. China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined , according to a 2017 report by Ocean Conservancy. This isn’t just an Asia problem. Plastic is one of the greatest environmental challenges facing the world. The U.S. wasted about 33.6 million tons of plastic, and only 9.5% was recycled.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:14 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I don't think it's any secret that Asia is the biggest problem. However, that doesnt mean Americans shouldn't strive to be better just because we're not the worst.
I agree that Americans should certainly strive to be better. We should always strive to be better but it seems like the media ignores the effects from Asia and is also very harsh on America. I don't like that.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I agree that Americans should certainly strive to be better. We should always strive to be better but it seems like the media ignores the effects from Asia and is also very harsh on America. I don't like that.

I've seen first hand how the navy used to get rid of trash at sea. Trust me, an aircraft carrier can generate a lot of trash!! We certainly have our ownership of part of the problem.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:29 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Personally I think it's just a high-visibility feel-good gesture that'll accomplish nothing of any substance... except to convince most Americans that environmentalists care about petty rules and gestures over results.

I don't really care if they ban plastic straws though. But they're gonna have a riot on their hands when Red Staters realize how hard it is to suck an entire Big Gulp though those fall-apart paper straws.

Remember how upset people got over Twinkies??

Old 08-14-2018, 03:07 PM

579 posts, read 367,483 times
so you're saying that this:

is more than negligible -- even assuming this straw ends up in the ocean, which is quite unlikely -- than this:

Old 08-14-2018, 03:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Get rid of plastic straws.

Our company found a company that makes them out of corn. We are stopping plastic straws completely.

My husband and I took our metal straws to Key West as they are going straw free.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
so you're saying that this:

is more than negligible -- even assuming this straw ends up in the ocean, which is quite unlikely -- than this:

I think this is a way to start small, getting people to think "do I really need that plastic straw" or "do I really need a plastic bag" when there are other options available.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:03 PM

579 posts, read 367,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I think this is a way to start small, getting people to think "do I really need that plastic straw" or "do I really need a plastic bag" when there are other options available.

The other options stink. A plastic straw ban or a plastic bag ban TAKES AWAY an option for me, and that is the best option. I re-use plastic shopping bags as garbage bags. If you take away that option, I have to buy kitchen trash bags. Where's the savings? See how stupid these bans are? They are solely for environmentalist whackjobs to pat themselves on the back for codifying their environmental feel-good-ism into law. It's pathetic.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Anything banned always has a flip side. If we ban plastic straws and make and use paper straws then we’re killing more trees. Those other sippy cups then have more disposable lids. To this end what else will be banned next? Tampons, they have disposable plastic plungers and the container. Thousands of them go into the trash every day. We are a world of consumers and users of products and everything has to be disposed of or what you replace it with will also be used up. If anything perhaps have people ask if they want a straw. A lot of people don’t, similar to automatically serving a glass of water to everyone. Let them ask if they want one or offer it. Many will say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events