Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 PM

13,498 posts, read 18,129,792 times

Advertisements

The only guy I know about getting hit by a train was the man close by me who jumped in front of it. A short train, left his headless corpse in front of me. It was night but I was just beginning my day, and he was just ending all of his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 03:41 AM

15,697 posts, read 9,457,137 times
There's apparently video from a drone of the impact between the steam train and the woman that was being shared around the net. I have no desire to see it.

Not everyone who gets hit by a train are wearing earbuds or are trying to kill themselves. This woman was not. There was also an couple of young girls hit while taking selfies in Maryland last week.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,086,723 times
Well, get ready for more vigorous, anti trespassing enforcement from the railroad cops due to these ignoramuses.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:32 AM

77,980 posts, read 60,166,723 times
I used to take the commuter trains in Chicago and they'd nail somebody every once in a while.

At our stop if you crossed the tracks before the gates went back up it was a hefty fine and community service.

The problem was that line had 3 tracks and the middle would reverse.

I saw a you tube video of someone seeing a train pull out and thought it was clear and walk right in front of the middle track express train. (this happened at either my stop or the next one down)

They also pegged cars on track (old couple) and some of those are error but I also think some are suicide.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:31 AM

599 posts, read 494,200 times
There was a local guy who, as a young adult, managed to survive a DUI car wreck that was so bad that it was never actually settled as to it being him, or his deceased buddy, at the wheel. He spent well over a year in a hospital, recovering, and ended up with a severely damaged, misshaped skull. A few years later he is drinking, down by the tracks, and realizes that the beer store is closing in a minute or two. He takes off running to beat a freight train, and ended up finding that he wasn't as quick as he thought. That was the end of his drinking and making poor decisions.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM

213 posts, read 215,544 times
RR employees are frequently killed by trains. A common reason is for that day, the dispatcher reverses the normal direction on that track. The employee looks in the wrong direction as he crosses the track.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM

213 posts, read 215,544 times
FYI, you will not hear a high speed train such as Amtrak until it is too late.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,118,801 times
I grew up with trains running through my back yard and we often walked on the tracks to get someplace. Normally we would look to see if there was a train coming, and you could see it from about a half mile away. In fact I would get a knot in my stomach when I saw that bright light coming from far away. Well one day my sister and I and a friend were walking along and did not see or hear the train till it was quite close, luckily at that point we did hear it and jumped down an embankment we feet to spare, so yeah sometime in the right conditions you may not hear the train coming.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:20 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,933,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Pedestrian v. train, vehicle v. train, animal v. train.----- Train always wins.
Godzilla (even wearing headphones) would stomp any train

Old 07-24-2018, 06:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,578,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I used to take the commuter trains in Chicago and they'd nail somebody every once in a while.

At our stop if you crossed the tracks before the gates went back up it was a hefty fine and community service.

The problem was that line had 3 tracks and the middle would reverse.

I saw a you tube video of someone seeing a train pull out and thought it was clear and walk right in front of the middle track express train. (this happened at either my stop or the next one down)

They also pegged cars on track (old couple) and some of those are error but I also think some are suicide.
The Metra line in my area has a “ pedestrian incident” every 6 week’s or so. Happens anywhere along the line.

Most incidents are concluded to be suicide by express train. Witnesses sometimes observe the pedestrian emerging from a car along the road and head for the tracks, nowhere near a station, as an express train approaches.

Can’t imagine the PTSD that engineers experience. The whole line tends to shut down and thousands are delayed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events