Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:46 PM

17,568 posts, read 13,344,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Then you stay in some roadside motel that has bedbugs, and suddenly your car is infested as well.

Bedbugs aren't something you avoid by not flying.
They are everywhere. Frome 5 star hotels to roach motels

They are in the wealthiest homes and the tent feces laden camps in California and other cities

Bed bugs don't recognize socioeconomic boundaries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Here, I included it here just for you! (because I knew my first post sounded kind of crazy, so I had to explain my comment)
Relax, you edited and completely changed your post after I had already responded to your original post.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
The worst thing about bed bugs are the parasites that live in the bed bugs...

PHILADELPHIA — The bed bug may be just as dangerous as its sinister cousin, the triatomine, or “kissing” bug. A new study from Penn Medicine researchers in the Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics demonstrated that bed bugs, like the triatomines, can transmit Trypanosoma cruzi, the parasite that causes Chagas disease, one of the most prevalent and deadly diseases in the Americas.

The role of the bloodsucking triatomine bugs as vectors of Chagas disease—which affects 6 to 8 million worldwide, mostly in Latin America, and kills about 50,000 a year—has long been recognized. The insects infect people not through their bite but feces, which they deposit on their sleeping host, often around the face, after feeding. Bed bugs, on the other hand, are usually considered disease-free nuisances whose victims are left with only itchy welts from bites and sleepless nights.

https://www.pennmedicine.org/news/ne...s-bed-bugs-can

Old 07-23-2018, 03:31 PM

814 posts, read 581,714 times
Airplane travel is the most miserable way to get anywhere. It seems like the worse it becomes, the more people are willing to pay for the 'privilege' of being treated badly. Until that situation reverses, the airlines have no incentive to make things more comfortable. Maybe the advent of bedbugs will convince them to do... something.

I only travel Business Class on the odd occasion it's necessary to fly. Yeah, I'll pay the money. That's what they want, right? So, they win. You get what you pay for, especially when it comes to the airlines. "Relax and enjoy your flight". Yeah. My *****.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
too may cushions on airplanes, should just have hard plastic seats
Bed bugs are transported around the world inside luggage. Anywhere the luggage goes it takes the bugs with it. It's a huge cost to hotels, resorts, apartment buildings, etc to treat the problem. These bugs can only be eliminated by exposing them to killing heat. I know because my apartment building has an infestation.
They pass from one to another through vents, heating systems, electrical outlets, and clothing. They do jump. Refrain from buying second hand clothing from thrift shops. Do not bring second hand sofas, furniture, mattresses, into your home. Do your laundry weekly. Dry your clothes on high for a few minutes.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:55 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Some airplanes landing from foreign countries used to be fogged with insecticide. Sometimes before all the passengers were even off (I know, lol). I remember this from flying in from Mexico, South America and the Islands. I guess it was deemed unsafe or something.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
too may cushions on airplanes, should just have hard plastic seats
Ahh, that would be brutal!

On the bright side, chances of encountering bedbugs on your flight are probably less than getting into an accident on the way to airport.

If it isn't one thing, it's another...

Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
Bed bugs on his sofa
Bed bugs in his bed
Now they're on the airplane,
flying first class with Fred.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Its the title of the article quoted and linked to.
OK then the title of the article is funny.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I know a lot of retail stores that have carpeting, many of them have bed bugs now, its getting to the point they are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events