U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 01:16 AM

681 posts, read 210,726 times

Advertisements

I see this all the time, not the beat down but the stealing. Everywhere I go especially fast food places homeless come in with any old cup and just fill and fill whatever they want and walk out. Some do get water but a lot take juice or soda and fill up literally a 48 oz jug sometimes or they have a cup from the place that you can tell is days old. Also I see neighborhood kids do the same thing, come in with cups and just walk right over and fill up and leave. I notice more places are doing away with the machines in the customer area and having you go to the counter instead to get your refills.

When itís super busy itís easy to take sodas or food. Iíve had my lunch stolen right off the counter too. They called my number and a homeless guy who was hanging around in the lobby area ran up and took my lunch and ran right out the door and hopped on his bike and sped off. Of course the restaurant made me another meal but geez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 01:29 AM

489 posts, read 108,820 times
That's a Whole Lotta Rosie!

Old 07-28-2018, 03:19 AM

4,237 posts, read 6,191,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
WT A F?!

Surely you're not serious. You're saying that a vicious vanilla and aluminum tray "assault" from a wily adolescent would justify a death sentence?
She was 25 lol adolescent? smh

Old 07-28-2018, 05:42 AM

3,174 posts, read 1,632,131 times
If this type of stealing is so prevalent as some claim, the fast food restaurants should put the soda machines behind the counters where they used to be. Let the employees fill and refill the blasted soda cups.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:21 AM

5,749 posts, read 1,290,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
I need a Manager just like her.
I have seen people stealing ketchup too.
And I have seen homeless people preparing tomato soup with ketchup from McDonalds and hot water from the bathrooms.

Wow where do you live?

Old 07-28-2018, 07:34 AM

5,749 posts, read 1,290,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ok, here is the reality of this situation. Anyone who has worked in retail, the restaurant business, or any business where you interact with the public, sees things every day that make you want to do something about it, because it is wrong. HOWEVER, you can't. The company will not support you and will, in fact, terminate you in most cases for stepping up and accosting the person.

McDonalds will end up paying that soda thief a settlement, and the employees will be fired. Is that right ? Hell no, but companies do not want bad press or sticky situations. They would prefer to just let the girl steal her soda and be on her way, with no interaction from the employees.

I know that employee was just trying to do the right thing, and most would have done exactly that, but it is not condoned in the business world. McDonalds would say that the soda cost them pennies, but a lawsuit could cost them millions. Nothing personal, strictly business.
I agree. I looked at the video from the perspective of a business owner which I am. The manager completely lost control and being twice as big as the other girl could have seriously injured her. Not saying the girl should be stealing sodas or throwing things at people.

Perhaps out on the street somewhere when she is off work she can deal with someone throwing a plastic tray and shake at her however she chooses. I understand the desire to defend ones self. But as someone employed at the restaurant she has to put their interests ahead of her own emotions. She should have just grabbed her and tossed her out of the restaurant.

On top of that there has to be more that went on before the video starts. Someone was recording it because there had to already be something going on.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:38 AM

6,724 posts, read 2,619,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
If this type of stealing is so prevalent as some claim, the fast food restaurants should put the soda machines behind the counters where they used to be. Let the employees fill and refill the blasted soda cups.
The cost for carbonated beverages is almost nothing. The cost of staff time outweighs the loss of a little soda.

I don't know why they don't have a separate water station - why you have to go search for the little water button that's usually attached to a lemonade spigot.

Separate the stations, and it would be very easy for staff to glance up and see clearly if you're in the wrong place. If you've got a clear cup you shouldn't be at the soda dispenser.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:44 AM

1,438 posts, read 511,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Yes, they can put the machines behind the counter and stop the refills. That was how things were originally. Putting the machines out there invited this. General human nature is predictable. The company evidently feels that the loss incurred by the stealing is worth the customers brought in or retained by the idea of free refills. When it isn’t, the machines will go back out of public access.

Added: that doesn’t excuse the individuals who steal.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:46 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,479,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
/shrug.

I'm not really someone who picks fights but I'm not a punching back either. French fry is whatever. Milkshake would start testing my patience. By the time people start hitting me with trays though, yeah, I'm done taking it too.
And that's the point normal, honest people are getting to nowadays. At some point enough is enough.
Every intelligent person nowadays knows 3 things as facts.
1.The police can not save you as they almost always show up only in time to clean up.
2. The police have no duty to protect you.
3.There are more and more entitled people who think they can do/take whatever they damn well please because they've been repeatedly told they deserve it for one reason or another. Either it's crooked/evil Corporations, your ancestors were abducted by aliens and used for medical experiments or <add perceived insult here>.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:47 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,479,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
It's awesome seeing people get their just deserts. Now if only we can watch all the evil politicians get drug out of their homes and given a beatin of their lives then have their money they've made from oppressing and exploiting others taken and given to things that actually matter.
Hell, I'd settle with 'em just getting voted out of office...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or