U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Status: ""Don't count the days; make the days count "" (set 8 days ago)

312 posts, read 89,358 times

Advertisements

In my opinion yet another example of how the United States is becoming more and more uncivilized....and far from being united..

And sadly it will only get worse....

Those who work in low paying retail and fast food establishments should be treated with kindness and respect because dealing with the public day in day out is no walk in the park.

Here is another incident that took place at a McDonald's in Brooklyn, NY a few years ago...and instead of others stepping in right away to stop what could have become a killing they actually encouraged the girls.....

As for the males in this video ...there is only one word for them...Cowards !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_eVcL1Gzxo

Last edited by NY 915; 07-27-2018 at 10:58 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM

1,103 posts, read 391,560 times
They're both wrong and they're both idiots. They always tell you the customer is always right. When the customer threw the milkshake, all the employee had to do was make her leave. Call the police. Anything would have been better than this. You don't get into a brawl with a customer. Now, she is going to be out of a job and when she goes to apply for another job, they will google her and this video will be the first thing that comes up on the search. SMDH If you can't handle crazy, irate customers, then you don't need to work in customer service or retail.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:03 AM

9,012 posts, read 3,127,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, people kill people for less than that now a days....it's the point of stealing it....
and maybe this wasn't a first timer?
I'm with you on not stealing - heck it's one of the Ten Commandments -- but this employee risked a lot to save McDonalds a few pennies.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:04 AM

15,608 posts, read 9,664,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
Why should they fire the employee?

This video gave McDonalds way more positive publicity than negative publicity.

There always will be a few who disagree and feel sympathy towards the female thug thief.
No one is feeling sympathy for the thug, so don't try to spin it that way. All we are saying is, NO business wants their employees to get involved with something like this, they will not support you, and they will most likely fire you. It happens every day.

I worked for a chain store where a customer returned 5 of the same exact item over time, claiming each one was defective. The store manager tried to do the right thing and told the man he was doing something wrong to damage each one, and that he could not take any more back.

The customer called headquarters, complained, and they immediately called the store manager and said " You will personally call this customer, apologize, take back the item, and give him a $25 gift card for his inconvenience." From that point on, the manager knew the rules, and would take back 200 items and never question it again.

Businesses do not operate like we humans do in our daily lives, they do not want controversy and problems. Cheaper to just suck it up and move on. Nothing personal, strictly business.

Believe me, that 3 cents worth of soda is going to cost McDonalds a Hell of a lot more when they settle.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:10 AM

14,970 posts, read 16,548,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Um, I don't think they went to finishing school...
In the US it is sometimes called "Charm School". I'd wager these are dropouts.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:22 AM

9,193 posts, read 10,143,406 times
I wish that all thieves received a thrashing for their crimes. The crime rate would plummet.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:26 AM

13,442 posts, read 15,055,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
While the customer was wrong, the reaction from the employees went too far! They could have restrained her and had her kicked out, called the police, but not have two employees throwing her around and beating her like a rag doll.

That horrible customer could still sue McDonald's and win. Even though she was initially the aggressor, the employees only retaliation should have been to call the cops and have her arrested for petty assault. The employee was big enough to have restrained the customer and thrown her out. But because they hit her back repeatedly, not once, but over and over again they now become the aggressors being employees of a business. It went from self defense to a clear case of excessive force and brutality by the McD worker and co worker.
The thief was still resisting and throwing strikes up through the end of the altercation in between adjusting her wardrobe. You can see that in the video. The smaller employee restrains her in a hold and big bertha backs down. Then the thief breaks free and she closes in again to get her back under control and gets slapped. The big bertha grabs her again and uses light strikes to get her back under control and the video cuts. Rag doll she was not. She was actively fighting back.

These are McDonald's employees, not police officers. They aren't trained in how to subdue physically violent customers who attack staff and respond as a regular person with no training would. A police officer would be trained to take a violent perp down to the ground and more effectively pin them, training a McDonald's employee lacks unless they've picked it up on their own in a self-defense class. Police routinely train in defensive tactics so it's not reasonable to expect a McDonald's employee to have the same ability.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:36 AM

3,294 posts, read 2,183,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The thief was still resisting and throwing strikes up through the end of the altercation in between adjusting her wardrobe. You can see that in the video. The smaller employee restrains her in a hold and big bertha backs down. Then the thief breaks free and she closes in again to get her back under control and gets slapped. The big bertha grabs her again and uses light strikes to get her back under control and the video cuts. Rag doll she was not. She was actively fighting back.

These are McDonald's employees, not police officers. They aren't trained in how to subdue physically violent customers who attack staff and respond as a regular person with no training would. A police officer would be trained to take a violent perp down to the ground and more effectively pin them, training a McDonald's employee lacks unless they've picked it up on their own in a self-defense class. Police routinely train in defensive tactics so it's not reasonable to expect a McDonald's employee to have the same ability.
Doesn't change the facts.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 AM

13,442 posts, read 15,055,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Doesn't change the facts.
Correct. You had a customer who physically assaulted staff who defended themselves. It's up to that McDonald's franchisee and McDonad's corporate to set their own policies. Grocery stores, for example, often have security and it's company policy for cashiers or baggers to allow theft to occur rather than intervene as thieves do often become physically violent when confronted. When I worked for large retail chain pharmacy, that's what we were told to do. Security handled theft. We reported it but were instructed not to intervene. Two of the pharmacies I worked at had loaded firearms in the back in case someone tried to come over the counter. You'd probably get fired for that at CVS. Different companies, different policies. Fortunately never had to be in the situation to decide whether to use the firearm myself but twice while I was working a firearm was used. Never fired, fortunately. In both cases the would-be armed robber saw the gun come up and took off running.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:12 PM

6,514 posts, read 2,363,904 times
It's interesting how fast food workers complain their pay and jobs are worthless but they're willing to jeopardize their safety by getting into a fight with a customer. No job that pays $9.00 an hour would be worth me risking my physical safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or