Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 09:40 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Who said anything about calling the cops? I was talking about going out in the water and, you know, actually saving the kid.
That was my reaction, too, upon reading the story. So many supposedly aghast witnesses, but they did nothing. No one had the urge to race into the water to try to rescue the infant? Hard to believe, unless there were other factors at play. Maybe those witnesses were all too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 12:58 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
I know, it was crossed out but it’s Autism.

For the record; 10 years ago I had a non-verbal, Autistic 4 year old who could literally go through a wall, barehanded during a meltdown, who would attempt to wander to water & who’s sleep cycle was severely mitigated & with whom I had to sleep with.

I am sitting in a dark room right now, on this bed where I will have to sleep with him, he who is now 6’2 tall & 220 lbs, can go through walls during a meltdown & who rips his clothing off his body like the Incredible Hulk when he’s not even mad & who wears a GPS tracker because he would still wander to water.

Autism is not for the faint of heart. But I swear to God I will take down anybody with MY bare hands who tries to harm one hair on his head.

So I do not understand this woman, I just understand Autism. Sort of. Why do so many of these cases involve a recent visit from CPS?

That seems to be the deal-breaker: “Hi, we came to see how you are doing so you must s**k as a mom but we will just find out what you need & leave without providing not one resource to help you out with those needs, or this child; M’kay?”

Old 08-06-2018, 09:34 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's the same story over and over that plays out every year across America. But especially in states like Florida.

Family? She has no family. She has fellow members of the same biological family unit. However, no actual social structure of a family exists. We only care about protecting little girls when they are missing or kidnapped. But we don't care when they are endangered by their own kin who are incompetent and completely incapable of raising a child. Oh and god forbid they have a mental disability. Consider the child as good as dead. The average child in a low income crime ridden area has a 20% chance of dying before age 21 from violence and mayhem. When they have a disability it's probably 50%.

Young ignorant uneducated (and possibly mentally disabled) Woman messes around with derelict dude #1 and gets pregnant. HCPs knowing that particular area is full of poor listless single mothers and the maternity ward is a revolving door with every year a new unprepared completely whacked Moms walking in the doors. All they see is "OK medicaid, patient #122, please have a seat." They don't bat an eye just process the paperwork and social services (who is overwhelmed and basically have given up on the community) is not alerted. If they are, by the time they are alerted they check up on the child when they are 5 years old at the last known address. The parent is not there, they said they did their due diligence and the Woman can't be found (despite still collecting SNAP/WIC in the state) so to lighten the workload they say "No problems" or "Can't be contacted" - CASE CLOSED. I have seen this with my own two eyes.

Medical professionals do not care. They are not there to help impoverished uneducated single mothers. They are there to get paid finish their shift and go home. I could get into the dysfunction of the Medical system in this country but I don't have time. But just like any other system in this country which is currently dysfunctional, it is not designed to help those in need, only those with money.
Sadly, I think you are bang on and there isn't a damned thing anyone can do about it. It's a vicious circle that just keeps repeating itself.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I know, it was crossed out but it’s Autism.

For the record; 10 years ago I had a non-verbal, Autistic 4 year old who could literally go through a wall, barehanded during a meltdown, who would attempt to wander to water & who’s sleep cycle was severely mitigated & with whom I had to sleep with.

I am sitting in a dark room right now, on this bed where I will have to sleep with him, he who is now 6’2 tall & 220 lbs, can go through walls during a meltdown & who rips his clothing off his body like the Incredible Hulk when he’s not even mad & who wears a GPS tracker because he would still wander to water.

Autism is not for the faint of heart. But I swear to God I will take down anybody with MY bare hands who tries to harm one hair on his head.

So I do not understand this woman, I just understand Autism. Sort of. Why do so many of these cases involve a recent visit from CPS?

That seems to be the deal-breaker: “Hi, we came to see how you are doing so you must s**k as a mom but we will just find out what you need & leave without providing not one resource to help you out with those needs, or this child; M’kay?”
My God! how are YOU still functional? I can't even imagine your stress level. Yours is a monumental task of motherhood (or fatherhood?) that not too many people could cope with. I hope you get a break now and then at least.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times
[quote=greatblueheron;52700794]She might be someone who had mental health issues of course...then there are the people that are undereducated, maybe had no idea of services available. She needed a social worker to help guide her.

Looks like her family could have found a way to help her out...don't you think?

they knew she was struggling...[/QUOTE

None of us know what our true snapping points are, so who are we to judge someone who probably snapped. And all it takes is a tiny hair to break the camel's back.

Yup! We can afford it, as our infrastructure crumbles before our eyes, $40-50k a year to imprison someone!

What continually amazes me is more people don't snap every day, every hour in this country!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:46 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Prove it.
You tossed it out there. You prove it is. My beer ain't gonna drink itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events