Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:48 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
People with cars can do this same thing with a little effort, they do not actually need 'Uber'.

A sister of a friend of mine used to drive for Uber months ago, until she figured out she could do the same thing on her own, since we live near a major airport hub, she built up a good group of regular customers and then went out on her own, (quit Uber) and now she gets the full fare! She created her own app, mostly focusing on this airport. Plus, word of mouth from her regulars is constantly getting her new clients. She is making much more money now than when she drove for Uber.
I would imagine that would be illegal in most places unless she is legally registered. I have a friend who does this legally and independently and pays $500 a month for the insurance and had to post a bond with the state. He has a shuttle van. He makes money but drives 6 days a week 12 hours a day. The cost of doing this legally is expensive. Uber does all that which is why you would make less with Uber. And airports are usually more regulated because you make the most steady money there.

If she were to get into a car accident and it was learned she was working as a unlicensed taxi she would have huge financial and legal problems.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-13-2018 at 08:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
i went to college in the heart of the Amish/Mennonite communities in PA. they NEVER interacted at all with us "others", i was so heart broken when i ran into my first Amish woman at the grocery store in Annville, what did i know being brought up in metro NYC that i was dangerous and probably evil , of course she turned her back on me, but i'd often follow behind patiently a long long line of cars stuck behind a buggy on a busy street, all of us doing 10 mph!!!! my senior year i taught at Eastern Lebanon Valley high school, and driving there every morning, i'd watch this long line of Amish Children, hand in hand, walking down the road, arraigned by height, the tallest at the front, down to the littlest, all dressed the same, the boys in blue shirts, dark pants and a hat, the girls in brown or dark blue dresses, way past their knees, all of them wore the same basic boot shoe, the tiniest girls wore a pinafore and would never even wave at me, though i always waved at them. I never saw Amish children at our school, leading me to believe they schooled their own, but i did have lots of Mennonite kids.

I hope this man doesn't get in trouble with his elders even though most assuredly his entrepreneurship is only for his fellow Amish community. and folks, don't worry about that horse, most Amish own more than one. .... and the flashiest thing on his buggy will be the neon caution triangle on the left rear bumper.
I live very close to Amish Country and was organizing a team building event, for work. I called several restaurants and other tours...someone advised me to stay away from a certain buggy ride, said, he wasn't really Amish, and didn't have a good reputation. So, perhaps this fella isn't Amish.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:06 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Quote:
People with cars can do this same thing with a little effort, they do not actually need 'Uber'.

A sister of a friend of mine used to drive for Uber months ago, until she figured out she could do the same thing on her own, since we live near a major airport hub, she built up a good group of regular customers and then went out on her own, (quit Uber) and now she gets the full fare! She created her own app, mostly focusing on this airport. Plus, word of mouth from her regulars is constantly getting her new clients. She is making much more money now than when she drove for Uber.
Your friend created her own app?

Can you tell us more about the app and how she created it?

Old 08-13-2018, 08:55 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Hello she’s doing it with a horse and buggy she does not have gas and auto expenses.
Two different things are being discussed here. This side discussion involves a car rather than a horse and buggy.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
He's not charging enough if that's a flat $5 fare regardless of mileage.

And yeah - poor horse! That's a lot of work for just one horse. Somebody needs to go read Black Beauty.
It's Colon, Michigan. Dinky little place. I doubt the guy takes any of his fares any farther than the edge of town, so I'm guessing he's making plenty and that the horse isn't overworked.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would imagine that would be illegal in most places unless she is legally registered. I have a friend who does this legally and independently and pays $500 a month for the insurance and had to post a bond with the state. He has a shuttle van. He makes money but drives 6 days a week 12 hours a day. The cost of doing this legally is expensive. Uber does all that which is why you would make less with Uber. And airports are usually more regulated because you make the most steady money there.

If she were to get into a car accident and it was learned she was working as a unlicensed taxi she would have huge financial and legal problems.
No different than a pizza delivery driver using his car for commercial purpose, same thing would happen if one of them got into an accident and they did not have the required insurance coverage.

Airports are heavily regulated,but they dont pay attention to cars coming and going, picking up and dropping people off, especially private non-taxi cars (people making money from giving rides do not have signs on their car).

Its not illegal to start a small business, if I wanted to, I could start a 'ride service' and do it for profit, as long as I had a business license I am legit.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:56 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,500 times
Do they have to have horse and buggy insurance? Uninsured buggyist insurance? How does it work?

Old 08-13-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Do they have to have horse and buggy insurance? Uninsured buggyist insurance? How does it work?
It varies by state. It's not required in my state.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
No different than a pizza delivery driver using his car for commercial purpose, same thing would happen if one of them got into an accident and they did not have the required insurance coverage.
No, with pizza you are delivering pizza. With livery service or taxi service you are delivering people. A whole different level of liability. Its possible the pizza place has the extra insurance for its drivers. The pizza is not going to sue you or end up in the hospital with a big bill.

Quote:
Airports are heavily regulated,but they don't pay attention to cars coming and going, picking up and dropping people off, especially private non-taxi cars (people making money from giving rides do not have signs on their car).
Believe me the taxi drivers look for those people. I have a good friend who has driven a taxi for years. All the ride share competition has really hurt his income. They take it personal because its money coming out of their pocket. And depending what airport there are investigators working for the airport looking for this kind of thing. I saw somewhere at one NYC airport this year they arrested almost 100 illegal ride operators. You don't think there are not lots of people trying to do the same thing?

Quote:
Its not illegal to start a small business, if I wanted to, I could start a 'ride service' and do it for profit, as long as I had a business license I am legit.
No

There are lots of businesses where it takes more than just getting a business license. Like opening a bar. Or starting a vehicle for hire service. Or any number of things. The business license is the minimum required not the only thing. I have opened all sorts of businesses and I have an attorney check the details first before I start even if I think I have it all covered. Probably something your friend should do.

I don't know what state you are in but in Arizona you go through a background check, pay for a permit, much higher insurance liability, drug testing, and a vehicle safety inspection among other things. The fine is $1,500 minimum if they catch you operating without the above. And one $1,500 fine probably negates whatever extra you make freelancing. Plus Uber probably won't take them back with the mark on their driving record.

https://www.azdot.gov/motor-vehicles...e-requirements

What state is your relative in?

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-13-2018 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events