Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Who said his paid caretaker was allowed to give this person loose supervision? You are talking about a child in a man's body. It's not the same as a baby or an elder with dementia. The whole point of having a caretaker is so he could go to the park and be under some control. A normal 18 year old would not need a baby sitter.
I kind of object to "a child in a man's body". He's not a child. He's a man, in a man's body, with low intellectual functioning. He has the aggressiveness of a man, the sexuality of a man, without the intellectual capacity to reason most men have.

I'll certainly agree with you that he's not an intellectually average 18 year old. He is strong, and frustratable, and apparently quite quick in his assaults - there were many people around him and they weren't quick enough on the draw to stop him from tossing this child over.

We don't know what his functioning level was - but enough. We don't need to give him access to more smaller weaker people, ever. Ever.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:16 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I kind of object to "a child in a man's body". He's not a child. He's a man, in a man's body, with low intellectual functioning. He has the aggressiveness of a man, the sexuality of a man, without the intellectual capacity to reason most men have.

I'll certainly agree with you that he's not an intellectually average 18 year old. He is strong, and frustratable, and apparently quite quick in his assaults - there were many people around him and they weren't quick enough on the draw to stop him from tossing this child over.

We don't know what his functioning level was - but enough. We don't need to give him access to more smaller weaker people, ever. Ever.
He is mentally a child in an adult body - any differentiation from that is your projection of what he is based on his picture. Have you watched children play? They can be quite selfish and quick to 'their assaults' over anything. I hope you are not on his jury. You obviously want to lock him up and throw away the key over his childish mistake and a broken leg.

I would have no problem believing you would want him executed if the child he assaulted accidentally died.

He should have been okay. His care taker should have been waiting for his turn on the slide with him. There would be no point to the caretaker being there other than to assist him.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:21 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
He is mentally a child in an adult body - any differentiation from that is your projection of what he is based on his picture. Have you watched children play? They can be quite selfish and quick to 'their assaults' over anything. I hope you are not on his jury. You obviously want to lock him up and throw away the key over his childish mistake and a broken leg.

I would have no problem believing you would want him executed if the child he assaulted accidentally died.
Um. Wait. What? I'm pretty steadfast against the death penalty.

I want him forever supervised around smaller people. This isn't a "childish mistake". He's not going to grow out of this aggressive mentality. And no, he isn't mentally a child. He's mentally a man, with limited intellectual capacity. Small children do act impulsively, and need supervision, and then they grow out of it.

A broken leg? Are you kidding?

Well, anyway, how did I think this conversation would go. It's on an internet forum. Where you can have interesting conversations, but then there's always someone. :-/

Peace.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Would you please walk us all through the "thought" process that leads you to believe that it's likely he'll break someone's neck the next time he's out?
He could have broken that 8 year old's neck, when he pushed him off the water slide. He already has a broken leg.

I wouldn't want that hulking beast anywhere near parks and play areas that my kids go to.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Um. Wait. What? I'm pretty steadfast against the death penalty.

I want him forever supervised around smaller people.

A broken leg?

Well, anyway, how did I think this conversation would go. It's on an internet forum. Where you can have interesting conversations, but then there's always someone. :-/

Peace.
Yes, there is always someone with a different perspective that might not agree with your own. Some people find that interesting conversation, but there is always someone that just wants to....

Just like some people have real experience dealing with the mentally ill and developmentally disabled, and there are those that want to treat them like criminals.

He was supposed to be supervised that day on the slide. That is why he had a paid caretaker. I guess wanting him to forever be supervised was everyone's intention all along. It seems the caretaker dropped that ball.

Maybe the caretaker is disabled in some way as well?

Old 08-11-2018, 07:40 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
This 18 year old young man has a disability called Violence.
And it appears a negligent caregiver.

This was a preventable act.

The disabled fellow should have never been left in a position to make decisions unattended in public (at least this is what it sounds like).

Old 08-11-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is always someone with a different perspective that might not agree with your own. Some people find that interesting conversation, but there is always someone that just wants to....

Just like some people have real experience dealing with the mentally ill and developmentally disabled, and there are those that want to treat them like criminals.

He was supposed to be supervised that day on the slide. That is why he had a paid caretaker. I guess wanting him to forever be supervised was everyone's intention all along. It seems the caretaker dropped that ball.

Maybe the caretaker is disabled in some way as well?
Well, I have real experience with the mentally ill and developmentally disabled, as I think I've made very clear in previous posts.

This isn't as if he tried to lift a funnel cake off another patron's table, or he stole a pair of flip flops that caught his eye.

He threw a boy over a huge embankment. It's a God Blessing that child didn't die. He's extremely dangerous. This isn't a case of oh sorry about your funnel cake he took, oh sorry, here's your flip flops, sorry he took them.

Which, actually, is the kind of situations I dealt with as a chaperone. All the time. And people do understand that and are very gracious.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:13 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post

The disabled fellow should have never been left in a position to make decisions unattended in public (at least this is what it sounds like).
I would change the words in your parenthesis to (this was proven). CBeisbol has an agenda, and he/she is on the wrong story to push it. Best just to ignore him/her.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,391 times
Quote:
Well, let's see.

He got irritated that he was in line too long, and threw a child over the railing. It is beyond belief that he's so cognitively impaired that he didn't know that would do grave harm - otherwise, he wouldn't have been allowed to wander alone at the water park. He was able to stand in line that length of time for the ride, and know to anticipate the ride. My guess is, he functioned fairly normally and those around him wouldn't be aware that he is impaired.

Next time, he's in line at Luby's and the kid in front of him is throwing a tantrum and irritating the fire out of him. It seems fairly likely he'd assault that child. And yes, maybe even kill it.
And how does any of that make it "likely" that he'll break someone's neck on his next outing.

What a an absolutely ridiculous statement

Quote:
Many years ago, I worked with mentally ill adults, and adults with mental retardation (as they were called at the time). Very very few were violent. But if I were working with this guy, nope, he's not going on any more recreational outings I'm chaperoning. Period
I think it's best you changed fields

Quote:
You want him to have access to YOUR kids?
He doesn't have access "to kids".
He has access to his community. Yes. I support disabled people having access to their community even when what is also my community

Old 08-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Well, I have real experience with the mentally ill and developmentally disabled, as I think I've made very clear in previous posts.

This isn't as if he tried to lift a funnel cake off another patron's table, or he stole a pair of flip flops that caught his eye.

He threw a boy over a huge embankment. It's a God Blessing that child didn't die. He's extremely dangerous. This isn't a case of oh sorry about your funnel cake he took, oh sorry, here's your flip flops, sorry he took them.

Which, actually, is the kind of situations I dealt with as a chaperone. All the time. And people do understand that and are very gracious.

Hopefully, as someone's chaperone, you were actually with the person you were chaperoning. Maybe you could have helped him be calm and focused and patient if you had been his paid caregiver that day. Or, maybe you would have diagnosed him as dangerous like you do now without knowing him, and only knowing the outcome of leaving him in anticipation, and all alone while so. Unsupervised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post

Sounds about right to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events