Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 PM

50,432 posts, read 36,095,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Number one, I hope someone will manage it properly.

Out of pocket can be high depending if they have insurance. If he needs a psych or not. My daughter's psych was $80, 10 years ago. My friend said her insurance covers a few visits then it's all out of pocket. He's at an age where he may suffer a lot emotionally, having nightmares. Can you imagine that for the rest of your life?

As for go fund me's in general I do agree. Did you see how high the duck boat survivors fund got? It was over $800k. It originally opened for all deceased funeral and the 2 survivors then changed to only the one lady who lost her hub and kids. Then there were 2 others opened that did not do well.
The fund is as big as the story is. The duck boat thing was international news for weeks. Go Fund me does get donations from around the world. There isn’t even follow ups to this one that I can find. A lot of people might not even know.

You’re right, about the psychologist I hadn’t thought of that.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,569,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don’t see how or why. Unless the caregiver told him to do it.

Because the caregiver was in charge of this mutant. He had an incident last month where he bit a lifeguard.

Now, maybe it's just me but this was my family member or I was being paid to be a caregiver he wouldn't be brought to places like amusement parks or anywhere where there are crowds. His activities would involve limited interaction with strangers and always have a watchful eye on him. If that requires two caregivers so be it.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 PM

1,078 posts, read 932,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
There seems to a a sentiment from some posters just below the surface of what is being written, the same sentiment is present in people throughout our communities, along the lines of "we need to keep "them" in there, so they don't hurt "us" out here.

As if the 1 in X chance of a person with a disability hurting someone is infinitely greater and more important than the person with the disability being abused, neglected, or exploited in a facility. Not to mention overlooking the simple fact that living is society is preferable to almost everyone to living in an institution.
Thank you.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,911,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Now, maybe it's just me but this was my family member or I was being paid to be a caregiver he wouldn't be brought to places like amusement parks or anywhere where there are crowds. His activities would involve limited interaction with strangers and always have a watchful eye on him. If that requires two caregivers so be it.
That will certainly be the case now.

Quote:
mutant
Can't believe that people think referring to others like this is anything other than an insult to themselves

Old 08-12-2018, 02:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,569,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
That will certainly be the case now.

Can't believe that people think referring to others like this is anything other than an insult to themselves

Well it's kind of too late for that now isn't it. It wasn't the case after he bit a lifeguard last month was it? Anyone with half a brain would have thought after that, best not to take him to a crowded amusement park and than leave him unattended....just brilliant.

Too bad if you don't like mutant, just looking at his picture you can see trouble in his eyes. Why should people be subjected to that. He has a history of violence and off he goes to an amusement part with a "caregiver" who was nowhere to be seen when this incident happened.

This poor kid has several broken bones in his feet, he is still growing, it's almost a guarantee that he will problems like constant pain and early onset arthritis.

How about some empathy for him instead of his attacker?

Old 08-12-2018, 02:40 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,620,933 times
Quote:
Well it's kind of too late for that now isn't it. It wasn't the case after he bit a lifeguard last month was it? Anyone with half a brain would have thought after that, best not to take him to a crowded amusement park and than leave him unattended....just brilliant.

Too bad if you don't like mutant, just looking at his picture you can see trouble in his eyes. Why should people be subjected to that. He has a history of violence and off he goes to an amusement part with a "caregiver" who was nowhere to be seen when this incident happened.

This poor kid has several broken bones in his feet, he is still growing, it's almost a guarantee that he will problems like constant pain and early onset arthritis.

Seriously? People shouldn’t be “subjected” to individuals who have developmental disabilities? What a horrible thing to say. He was probably scared because his caregiver was nowhere to be found and he was waiting in line for a long time. Obviously what happened to the young boy is horrible, but the person to blame is the caregiver who left the guy alone. It makes sense to have empathy for both the young man AND the boy.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,330,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Seriously? People shouldn’t be “subjected” to individuals who have developmental disabilities? What a horrible thing to say. He was probably scared because his caregiver was nowhere to be found and he was waiting in line for a long time. Obviously what happened to the young boy is horrible, but the person to blame is the caregiver who left the guy alone. It makes sense to have empathy for both the young man AND the boy.
I'd be just fine with the water park banning him from ever coming back.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 08-12-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,840,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The caregiver was a personal care attendant. He has a right to be independent, like it or not. That's probably why he bit The Lifeguard last month too cuz he was kinda of scared right?
It has been repeatedly said, she cannot stand next to her client the whole time.
She cannot slide down the slide behind him and make sure he doesn't hurt anyone he comes into contact with, because they 'aren't sliding fast enough through the tube', either.
She can not be in the pool next to him and make sure he doesn't drown anyone 'because they aren't swimming fast enough', or were in his way.
She cannot go into the bathroom with him. She was his personal care attendant, not Spiderman. They were not tethered.
He shouldn't have been in that situation.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:55 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,330,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
The caregiver was a personal care attendant. He has rights to be independent, like it or not. That's probably why he bit The Lifeguard last month too cuz he was kinda of scared right?
It has been repeatedly said, she cannot stand next to her client the whole time..
Well, I don't know what he was so scared of at the water park, since he was probably twice as tall as most of the young kids there. He was 18 and older than most of them, too. If he gets scared around young kids he needs to be kept away from them.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:55 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,911,939 times
Quote:
How much of a brain do you need to comment on what was our wasn't the case after last month when you have no idea

Please tell us what was and wasn't done and why it was done in that way.

Quote:
just looking at his picture you can see trouble in his eyes.
How much of a brain does it take to believe you can determine if someone it's trouble based on their eyes in a photograph?

Quote:
Why should people be subjected to that.
Why should people be subjected to your ignorant fear?

You've almost certainly been "subjected" to individuals just like this in your community.

Quote:

Why do you think I don't have empathy for the poor kid?
It's terrible what happened to him and I can't imagine how scary and painful it was and will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events