Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 12:54 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Both of your responses are beyond disturbing.
The comment referring to this not being a case of pedophilia may be disturbing to you, but it is 100% true. I'm finding that many don't have a firm understanding of what it means to be a pedophile. Many (and wrongly so) believe that a pedophile is anyone who has sexual contact with a legal minor. While such people are likely breaking the law and should be punished for it, you are not a pedophile if you engage in sexual contact with a post-pubescent minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 01:59 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Unfortunately, if the $2.5M is paid out, it comes directly from the taxpayers. Or, if taxes are not raised to make up that loss, the $2.5M comes out of the school budget therefore effecting all the other teachers and students.

I'd like to see those responsible be the ones to be punished, financially and otherise, not the innocent of the community.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:57 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Unfortunately, if the $2.5M is paid out, it comes directly from the taxpayers. Or, if taxes are not raised to make up that loss, the $2.5M comes out of the school budget therefore effecting all the other teachers and students.

I'd like to see those responsible be the ones to be punished, financially and otherise, not the innocent of the community.
I agree. As much as I detest this situation, I don't see why the whole community should suffer for it. That means less resources going towards the public schools.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:37 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,199 times
I agree with both above posts, why should these parents become millionaires under the guise of teaching this public school a lesson? And what is the point for the 13 year old - are they making some lame argument this experience may render him unable to work in the future? Don't forget all the easy money for this lawyer. Money grab.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:59 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I disagree about 8th graders not being ready for sex. It was during my 6th and 7th year that myself and many other classmates, had our first sexual experience...and this was back in the late 80s! Kids today are introduced to this stuff much earlier than we were, we didnt have the internet back then.

I know for a fact a handful of cases in my area, where it was a female student and male teacher, the underage student was actually the initiator/ aggressor, but none of these relationships were ever discovered, they just dissolved on their own, with the student eventually moving on to another guy. all the kids in school knew these things were going on too, it was not a huge secret, the girls bragged about it every chance they got.

No one ever went to police in those days though, most adults and other teachers at the school would just roll their eyes at the whole thing.
Same here. I knew of plenty of teachers and students fooling around. We had a couple of male coaches that were always banging one of the girls and we had a female history teacher that spread it around pretty well. lol

Everybody knew about it and made jokes. Other teachers just talked behind their backs and rolled eyes and such. If one of them got a little too out of hand, they would get transferred to a different school, typically the worst one in the district.

This is one of those things that shouldn't happen. However, it always has and it always will. No amount of jail sentence, no amount of judgement and no matter how they screen the teachers before hiring, this is still always going to happen.

Old 08-12-2018, 04:36 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,966,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Because there is some evidence that suggests the principal knew, or should have known the sexual relationship was ongoing.

The information indicating he knew is contained within the lawsuit, and so to me, the source is suspect.

Ok that makes sense if the evidence is true or at least credible then clearly a valid lawsuit.

Thanks for the post Clara!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Same here. I knew of plenty of teachers and students fooling around. We had a couple of male coaches that were always banging one of the girls and we had a female history teacher that spread it around pretty well. lol.
Oh God. Horrible. Almost sounds like they went into teaching to prey on the teenagers.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:34 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,741 times
Quote:

Highly unlikely that the school district doesn’t have insurance to cover this kind of thing.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:17 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
Highly unlikely that the school district doesn’t have insurance to cover this kind of thing.
I kinda wondered about that, but for people saying the school district should pay for allowing this to happen, what "punishment" is it if insurance pays? Regardless of if it's paid by insurance or out of the school budget, it's still not the responsible parties paying and personally suffering financially. And if the responsible parties are not the ones paying, then it serves no purpose other than being a money grab by the parents, imo.

(And I get that the teacher likely does not have millions laying around, can't get blood out of a turnip, and all that. I just see no purpose in the parents making millions off this situation).

Old 08-12-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I kinda wondered about that, but for people saying the school district should pay for allowing this to happen, what "punishment" is it if insurance pays? Regardless of if it's paid by insurance or out of the school budget, it's still not the responsible parties paying and personally suffering financially. And if the responsible parties are not the ones paying, then it serves no purpose other than being a money grab by the parents, imo..
If my child was molested by a teacher, I'd rather see the teacher go to jail and/or register as a sex offender to keep other kids safe. I might want the school to pay for my child's counseling but that wouldn't cost 2.5 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events