Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsa View Post
I wish that they'd give it away on every street corner, get every possible weak-minded fool using it, and then put some slow acting poison in it, as in a month or more to show the effect. Same with tobacco and alcohol, of course. Then we'd be rid of nearly all the stupid and irrational people. wtH is with people, that their normal state of mind is not good enough?
Cigarettes don't get a person high. These days a lot of people do not smoke like when I was a teen in the 80's. What kid can afford to buy cigarettes in NJ where they're close to $9 a pack? Heck I can barely afford a pack every other day. I switched to 100's because they're a few cents more, last me twice as long. I started smoking the summer of going into 3rd or 4th grade which was the late 70's. A kid would have to be really stupid to start smoking these days with all the proof that it causes cancer and lung disease and who knows what else. Same with vaping. Who knows what is in it and what health issues they'll find in a few years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Anyone who thinks legalizing marijuana will solve this type of problem is dreaming. Pushers will still be selling all kinds of other drugs. Marijuana is just the gateway. Even in states with "legalized" marijuana, lots of people still buy from their pusher.
I see it differently. Look at the prices in legal states like Colorado; it's so expensive that the average Joe can't afford it. Dealers will always be needed unless they drop the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The "gateway" drug theory has its flaws, but it can't entirely be dismissed either. As this information points out, it's inconclusive in being able to be applied across the board:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...a-gateway-drug

And certainly many, if not most people who have experimented with marijuana recreationally don't go on to use "harder" drugs. And I'm not counting people who do have some legitimate, serious illness where medical marijuana has clinical benefits and fewer side effects than prescriptions that have much more dangerous effects, such as high powered opioids with a high rate of misuse and addiction.

However, can we be confident that the percentage of casual marijuana users that go on to harder drugs (i.e. cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, PCP, etc.) is consistently lower than people who are marijuana teetotalers, and teetotalers of other addictive substances like alcohol or tobacco?
People who abuse drugs will do so with whatever they can get. Most people I know started out drinking, usually from the parents liquor stash. Some did pot while others did pills like Quaaludes, valium, acid and speed. It depended on what was around at the time. No one I knew did heroine and IMO with all the instant news we have these days of people dying from it, people are crazy to even try it; but they do because they're the real druggies due to emotional, physical pain or due to bad genes where they get addicted to stuff.

I know a gal that was dating a cop. They're still together but he's not a cop any more. She suffered from chronic pain, was getting percocet for her back pain, well some how he started doing them too when he was laid off due to drama from his ex-wife. Next thing I hear is he tested positive for heroine; lost his job. So I assume the GF is doing it too. Why I don't know.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:32 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I do not understand why this country continues it's prohibition on marijuana, and keeps it in the realm of the black market with no control over its content. I don't use the stuff myself, but I did briefly in my youth. Enough to know that it doesn't belong in the class of dangerous street drugs like meth, cocaine, opioids, heroin, etc. . It's already legal in some areas of the country, and the nation hasn't collapsed because of it.
I truly hope the dirtbags responsible for selling the poison in this case are locked up for life. Maybe it's time to take marijuana away from people who just don't care who they hurt.
In CT where these deaths have occurred, it's not criminal to possess MJ for personal use. It's not officially legal there recreationally but they don't arrest you for small amounts.

People will get high on stupid things as long as there's stupid things for people to get high on. If in the US, MJ were legal in all 50 states, with no strings attached, don't you think some idiots would still huff paint? Shoot up heroine? Smoke meth?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:33 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Cancer is a real disease. Addiction is self inflicted by stupid choices.

And I never said to withhold anything. I said "I get PO'd that there is a "cure" for OD'ing. WTF? How about a cure for real health issues"?

Btw, I am also glad that the baby was rescued.
How ironic. My late father had cancer and was on painkillers. He got addicted. I guess he was weak and should have fought through the addiction.

Btw, we can work on cures for more than one thing at a time, whether you believe they are real health issues or not.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:33 AM

17,299 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Marijuana isn't a "gateway" drug despite all those who benefit from it being illegal saying otherwise.
Actually it is.........I have an extended family of addicts. Booze and weed was what they all started with and it quickly moved into heroine, coke, pills......2 brothers died of it. 2 brothers finally got clean.

One of the brothers who has been clean for 15 years got up in front of a city council and basically said once booze and weed were "conquered" the next thing to try was something harder......

How many addicts of hard drugs have never initially smoked weed? I don't know of any.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Cigarettes don't get a person high. These days a lot of people do not smoke like when I was a teen in the 80's. What kid can afford to buy cigarettes in NJ where they're close to $9 a pack? Heck I can barely afford a pack every other day. I switched to 100's because they're a few cents more, last me twice as long. I started smoking the summer of going into 3rd or 4th grade which was the late 70's. A kid would have to be really stupid to start smoking these days with all the proof that it causes cancer and lung disease and who knows what else. Same with vaping. Who knows what is in it and what health issues they'll find in a few years from now.

I see it differently. Look at the prices in legal states like Colorado; it's so expensive that the average Joe can't afford it. Dealers will always be needed unless they drop the price.

People who abuse drugs will do so with whatever they can get. Most people I know started out drinking, usually from the parents liquor stash. Some did pot while others did pills like Quaaludes, valium, acid and speed. It depended on what was around at the time. No one I knew did heroine and IMO with all the instant news we have these days of people dying from it, people are crazy to even try it; but they do because they're the real druggies due to emotional, physical pain or due to bad genes where they get addicted to stuff.

I know a gal that was dating a cop. They're still together but he's not a cop any more. She suffered from chronic pain, was getting percocet for her back pain, well some how he started doing them too when he was laid off due to drama from his ex-wife. Next thing I hear is he tested positive for heroine; lost his job. So I assume the GF is doing it too. Why I don't know.
It doesnt matter that cigarettes do not get someone high, the fact is they kill around 500K people per year!! That is a deadly and dangerous product, and access should have been highly restricted decades ago.

If they are going to target one deadly product but leave another one exempt (due to all the revenue the Govt receives), its really pointless to try to tell everyone they are concerned about our health and safety...that is not true at all.

Plus, if they allow cigarettes to be sold so easily due to revenue, why do they even bother going after other dangerous products, like opioids or synthetic marijuana, those industries were likely bringing in pretty much money too, so Im not sure what the difference is, especially with the opioid drugs, there was LOTS of money being made off those, and yet they still targeted access right away, it doesnt make sense.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:32 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
I apologize for mixing up threads. I had been reading about the latest hot car incident, and the topics are related. Ive also been up all night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events