Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 AM

11,524 posts, read 5,583,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My comment was made because I cannot fathom a 98 year old man walking that distance. But then, I am lazy and cannot fathom walking one mile!

Again, I did not read the story because I don't want to cry (thanks for the heads up to the poster who said they read it and cried). I am just amazed by him.
Lode - try the local news link here - Elderly man walks miles to be alongside hospitalized wife

It's really a very lovely and inspirational story with all that's going on these days and the hate we see here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
That story is a real spirit-lifter.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 AM

8,290 posts, read 3,858,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
At the last house we had, I had a neighbor that was in his 80's that was pretty active and would walk a mile or so if he had to; he also said it kept him young. I believe my neighbor was in the Korean war too like this man. Unfortunately my neighbor passed a few years ago from a freak hernia that strangled his intestines. He didn't have a spouse, had a lady friend that lived an hour away. There were days his car needed serviced.

I sure wouldn't let my neighbor walk anywhere once we started becoming friendly. I sure as heck wouldn't let this guy walk if I knew him and I was home. Heck, I'd run my errands around driving him to see his wife.

I also don't know why he's not staying over night.
There are lots of men in their 80's that are physically fit out where I live, that still tend farms and homesteads. It's not that rare. 90's is far more unusual, simply because most men don't survive until their 90's.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,303,625 times
One article I read said he didn't want to wait for his daughter to give him a ride anyway so he would just walk himself. Let him walk.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:15 PM

15,240 posts, read 12,804,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
One article I read said he didn't want to wait for his daughter to give him a ride anyway so he would just walk himself. Let him walk.

I think walking lifts his spirits. I'm certain that walking toward his wife does.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 AM

9,483 posts, read 16,369,891 times
I walk these type of miles on a regular basis but I'm not 98. I'm 68 and can only hope I WILL have this guy's ability at 98. That is if I live that long.

With that said. I'm not understanding the children part. They must be in my age group. Can they not drive their Dad to see their Mom? How could anyone not help this man, but a stranger. Could the hospital not set up a cot in the wife's room?. Im sure that Hospital knew about this outrageous amount of walking.

If I knew about this and lived there, I would have driven this man to and from the hospital. Knowing me I might have not minded my own business, and inquired why his adult kids were allowing this. I mean this man is almost 100 and walking 12 miles a day. God only knows what the route is like he was walking. Give me a Break.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:20 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,520,868 times
Well, I've been sitting on this reply for a few days now. I guess I will go ahead, and post it, for better, or worse to give a different perspective. I only write this from an encouragement stand point. I've been relatively inactive this summer, and can see the results of it, and it's not good. If we don't use our "machines", our bodies, especially at older ages they will deteriorate rapidly. So please take this in the spirit in which it was intended.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Looking at his face, he doesnt look a day over 70.

True that . His good genetics, and all the walking he does on a regular basis is a very big part of his secret. This is what his family said about him. Btw, his last name fits him.

"Younger’s kids said walking is a way of life for their father." “My dad’s always walked. He says he does it to stay alive,”

"He does it to stay alive".

That bears repeating. If walking is taken away from him it would be like signing his death warrant. "Anything that makes inevitable the destruction, or end of a person or thing"

Walking, as well as exercise in general, also helps tremendously with easing depression, and stress. And we know he has to be struggling with those with his beloved in the hospital. I don't know if he has walked that far before. Maybe he wondered if he could go the distance, and pushed himself to meet the challenge. Then after he did he just kept it up. Or maybe he is used to going that far all along. They didn't tell us that much. It would be very interesting to hear his story.

At first when I read the article I was touched by his love, and dedication to his wife. I cry over lots of things, and this was one of them. I still am touched. But when I read that walking is an integral part of his life I understood how important it was to him. The centurions from Okinawa, and the country of Georgia, as well as others, are always examined for their longevity with diet usually being a main focus. But these 100 yr olds are very active! Riding those little horses, ponies really. Walking hills, and mountains, herding animals, gardening, fishing, you name it. Plus other factors like their diet, and feeling needed. It's all part of the whole picture. I like reading about them as they are amazing people.

Mr Younger is a very good example of a very old guy still kicking it. And people want him to stop? I know, I worry about him too. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. And a woman too. . I'd love to learn what he eats, and his exercise routine throughout his life, especially his later part. His inspiration, and others, certainly has lit a fire under my rear. I need to get with it, and return to moving more myself. The heat this summer really slowed me down. I feel like a bloated dead cow on the side of the road, lol. I don't look that bad, but feel that bad. So, I'm increasing my walking back up to 5-6 days a week 45 min to an hour each time, and hope to increase it more later as well as weight training again. Last summer I finished 2 -10ks, and 1 -12k at 69. So I hope to reverse my direction, and improve.
Not doing very well with slacking off. Anybody else want to join me on this?

I meant this post to be encouraging for someone out there as well as myself. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:48 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,089,444 times
If I saw him walking I would stop and ask if he needed a ride, especially in this heat. I would feel bad if I saw an old person walking and didn't at least ask.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
If I saw him walking I would stop and ask if he needed a ride, especially in this heat. I would feel bad if I saw an old person walking and didn't at least ask.
Yeah, that is a good idea. That would give him the option depending on how he feels that day.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This story made me just sob.

Why isn't he staying with her? Why are they separated?
Gosh, I really don't know. Some possibilities? Maybe he needs to sleep in his own bed, or he wouldn't be able to sleep at all. Or he eats a diet that can't be found at the hospital. Or maybe he needs his routine to stay sane. Or they have pets, or a garden at home that need to be cared for. I'm sure his going back, and forth doesn't mean he loves her any less. He is doing the best he possibly can. He is an amazing gentleman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events