Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

You cannot change the attitude of those who choose to believe the all the world is their enemy just by walking toward them with an outstretched hand. That is foolish. It would have been wise, knowing they were going to a completely different land where the people have completely different belief systems, values, attitudes towards outsiders etc. for them to study these differences rather than assume bringing in their own foreign ideas would work for them and keep them safe.

Maybe they could have learned how to avoid such a tragedy or maybe they would have learned it would be better off not to go there in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 04:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I'm still trying to get my mind around the fact that the guy walked away from a cushy HUD job, after only being there a few years. I guess a lot of 20-somethings do get to the work world after college, and react in stunned shock, asking, "Is this all there is? This is adult life??!" So maybe that's what they were going through. but still, I can't help wondering why they didn't simply plan and save for great international vacations. That's what I did, at their age. I did't feel the need to quit my job just a few years in, and take a year off to see the world.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:51 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Unfortunately, when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes

Read my mind!

Old 08-18-2018, 04:53 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
And it's really tough to bring a lawsuit against ISIS...

Old 08-18-2018, 04:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Their naivete lead them to a dangerous place, and the evil people they didn't believe in stabbed them both to death.

So much for gentle breezes and missed sunsets.

Sad, but... cripes, it's like sticking your hand into the flames of a campfire, claiming you'll be fine because you don't believe in searing heat.

I can't envision the horror of being stabbed to death by raging madmen, while they no doubt screamed "Allahu Akbar!!!" with every thrust of the knife.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Their naivete lead them to a dangerous place, and the evil people they didn't believe in stabbed them both to death.

So much for gentle breezes and missed sunsets.
I love beautiful sunsets! But I'm able to both work a regular schedule, AND enjoy sunsets after I get off work. It makes no sense, the way he phrased that. This is so awful! I wonder how the parents are doing....

edit: Here's more info. Turns out, the guy wasn't happy with his HUD job, or with the HUD bureaucracy and office culture. And apparently, he had no parents in his life to warn him about travel dangers; he was a product of the foster care system.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/08/01/j...y-house-killed

Quote:
Austin resisted HUD's stodgy, institutional culture. He wore chucks and jeans at the office, in defiance of the standard suit and tie worn by other federal employees. "I'm going to be myself or I'm not going to work here," he said he told his employer. They kept him on.

A few months after meeting him, Austin began traveling, taking leaves of absence for months at a time. Two years after that, he quit HUD, leaving behind the 145-square-foot tiny house he built and the community of tiny houses he co-founded to become a full-time traveler. He lived frugally, often backpacking alone through remote parts of the globe, and he blogged and Instagrammed his adventures enthusiastically.

Austin was keenly aware how his upbringing in foster care shaped his outlook on life. He learned self sufficiency at an early age; by the time he was in middle school, he felt like an adult. "As a ward of the state," he said, "I was an inherent non-conformist."
http://www.tinyhousetinyfootprint.co...box-tiny-house

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-18-2018 at 05:19 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 05:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Unfortunately, when you play stupid games you win stupid prizes
What stupid game, living? Traveling?

Peoole die in the US everyday. Its a risk you take, even when driving to the grocery store.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:28 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I can’t find it again now, but I read an account from one of Lauren Geoghagen’s friends. She said that Lauren was kind and compassionate, but this year-long trek wasn’t something she would have dreamed up on her own. Some of Lauren’s friends thought Jay was extreme in his plans and beliefs, but Lauren was completely smitten with him.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:32 PM

15,251 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And apparently, he had no parents in his life to warn him about travel dangers; he was a product of the foster care system.
I doubt he would have listened to parents anyway. He had the certainty and fanaticism of youth.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:52 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
What stupid game, living? Traveling?

Peoole die in the US everyday. Its a risk you take, even when driving to the grocery store.
To the average person, traveling through ISIS country somewhat elevates your risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events