Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

Oh Lordy. I've worked on children that have died and those memories are forever burned in my memory. I can't imagine the heartache of it being your own child. I quit a job I was at for 13 years because they wanted me to work in pediatrics. The sickest kids went there from surrounding hospitals. Nope, little eyes on ventilators? Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
It's the picture of her baby suffering that is disturbing. Why would anyone share that? That's her baby at her worst final moments. Actually, why would anyone take a picture of that as well? Also, the parents shared a GoFundMe page a few days after their baby passed away, AND they are rich.

This is on the same lines of those that share pictures of the deceased in their coffins on social media. Why not share pictures of when they were happy instead, and write what you want to preach below it?

I would have to agree with some others saying the parents are attention seekers, even if it comes from their baby's worst moment.
She wanted to show parents the reality of what can happen, that pic was chosen very deliberately as an educational tool.

It was friends that started the Go Fund me page, which the Miller's already announced is going to be donated to fund water safety programs.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:33 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She wanted to show parents the reality of what can happen, that pic was chosen very deliberately as an educational tool.

It was friends that started the Go Fund me page, which the Miller's already announced is going to be donated to fund water safety programs.
Still too disturbing. There are other ways to "educate" the public.

Reminds me of the video a dad shared of telling his son that mom passed away due to heroine. I could not even finish that video. What a POS that video was. Why even record that.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoR View Post
What a jacka$$ comment! Are you a parent? If you are, then you must know how quickly and easily a child can get into something in the moment you are distracted. Perhaps the mothers were chatting and the little girl was playing with toys quietly on the floor behind them, or maybe she was napping, or sitting at a little table drawing pictures nearby. She was likely there one minute, and then mom looked over and she wasn't. For most of us, that might mean we find a toddler playing in the toilet water, slathering on mom's lipstick, or coloring the dog with markers. Instagram and Facebook are full of hilarious pictures of toddlers that have gotten into something and made a huge mess in the few minutes they had slipped off unnoticed. Unfortunately, this one had a much more tragic ending. It could happen to any parent. The mother wasn't high on meth allowing her toddler to run around unchecked. I hope you never have to reflect back on this cruel comment because of your own momentary lapse of attention to your child.

My own toddler disappeared once and there are no words to describe the sheer terror you feel. I called the police and was looking frantically for him, having called my husband to come home from work. I got the neighbors involved in helping search for him. I was hysterical, calling his name, searching the property, the pool, the car, the house... He had crawled into the bassinet attachment on the stroller, which was parked in a corner with the handle out and pram hood up and it had the cover snapped on it - he got under the cover and pulled a blanket over himself and fell asleep. He had been right under our noses the entire time, sound asleep. He no longer used the stroller and it was for his infant brother but I guess he thought that looked pretty cozy. He had been playing in the floor with toys one minute and had disappeared into thin air the next. I was not a negligent parent but like most parents, I still had to change the younger one, put clothes in the laundry, start dinner, put the dog out, use the toilet, etc.
When youngest DD was two, she got lost while we were visiting my in-laws. DH and his dad were talking and looking under the hood of the car, MIL was inside resting, and I told DH that oldest daughter (then 8) and I were leaving to go for a walk, and would he watch her? He said he would, we left, and he and FIL promptly forgot. Men and cars. I should have known better.

We got back and youngest was nowhere to be found. Their house was surrounded by deep woods, and I was frantic. We separated, combed the property, then decided to call the police. It was getting dark by then. Before we did, their closest neighbor drove up in her truck with youngest sitting in it. She said she saw a little girl running down the dirt road, yelling, "WAIT! WAIT!" She ditched her daddy and grandfather and wanted to catch up with me and her older sister.

24 years later, we laugh about it, but at the time it was the most horrible fright of our lives.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
That's one link I won't bother checking out.

Yes, most people - the vast majority of people - who lose a child do indeed go on, whether or not they have other children.
It's a photo designed to shock. And it's terribly sad.

Many people do go on; some do not. I know of one schoolteacher that just . . wasted away after her young son was killed in a fall.

My cousin ate herself to death and ended up dying of complications form lymphedema maybe 4 years after her son was killed.

Others divorce and start over.

Others stay together; have another child but are still forever changed

Old 08-21-2018, 11:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Why, why, why did I open that link? I knew I shouldn't.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You just don't know until it happens. My son once got away from me in a department store. He hid in a clothing rack* until the coast was clear, then made a run for the mall exit. Store security literally picked him up on the way out. The event only lasted for minutes, but it was probably the worst five minutes of my life. I was sure that he'd be abducted, raped, tortured, and killed. How could I explain to my husband that I'd lost our child?

One day I found him sitting on the kitchen counter playing with my knives. He'd dragged a chair over to the counter and defeated the upper cabinet child lock where I kept them. I'd dozed off while watching him watch 101 Dalmatians. He didn't get to watch much TV and was usually mesmerized. He was three.

*It took me a while to figure out that that he was hiding in the middle of the circular clothing rack behind me. Three year olds don't explain things well.

That same year, he also managed to get his finger stuck in the supermarket conveyor belt, burn himself, and fall on the sidewalk and crack his front teeth. I'm not sure how either of us made it through the year.

Even the most vigilant parent can't be alert 24/7.
"Even the most vigilant parent can't be alert 24/7". And HOW. Youngest DD put us through the ringer. She was involved in a severe accident at 22 months, where she broke her hip, while under DH's care (I was at work). It was not due to negligence on his part...we'd had a horrible winter with several feet of snow, the drifts at the curb made it impossible to get her out of her car seat on the passenger side, so he got her out by way of the driver's side. At that moment, a woman was speeding (going 25 miles over the limit in our residential street), hit black ice, slid through the stop sign, and crashed into DH and our daughter while he was getting her out of the car in front of our house. Neighbors found him in shock, with a leg lacerated from ankle to hip, staggering around the street, clutching her. She had gotten the brunt of it, although 3 months in a body cast healed her hip. He still feels guilt ridden about it (though he shouldn't) and the incident where she almost got lost in the woods (for that, he SHOULD).

When she was three, she decided she wanted a carrot. I heard the refrigerator door open, and the vegetable bin slide. I didn't think anything of it, I just thought it was oldest DD getting a snack. Then I heard the dishwasher door open behind me, and I turned around to find youngest DD holding the carrot and a bread and butter knife to peel it with (which she'd gotten out of the dishwasher, because we kept the peeler and sharp knives out of her reach). She knew she was in trouble, and tried to run away...but tripped, and the blunt knife went through her jaw. We rushed her to the emergency room, at the closest city hospital, only to be turned away because the waiting room was packed and we had insurance instead of Medical Assistance. They gauzed her up, and sent us 15 miles away.

DH, at age two, did all of the following: Opened the lid of one of his father's bee hives. Seeing him covered with hundreds of bees, his quick thinking mother grabbed the garden hose, saving his life. He climbed over a "child proof" fence and ran off. His mother put him in a harness tied to a tree, and he got out of it and ran off. She buckled the harness on BACKWARDS, and he got out of it and ran off. He climbed out of the car window and ran across a busy highway, almost getting hit by a truck (his life was saved when he tripped). He ran across the "line of fire" at a game of horseshoes and got hit on the head by a horseshoe and knocked unconscious. Miracle he made it to three, let alone 64.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:16 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Educate them about what? Fences and unlocked doors? Then this is to blame the neighbors for negligence.

If we are to assume parents or other responsible adults cannot watch a 1-1/2 year old every minute then sometimes accidents will happen.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Still too disturbing. There are other ways to "educate" the public.

Reminds me of the video a dad shared of telling his son that mom passed away due to heroine. I could not even finish that video. What a POS that video was. Why even record that.
It’s not much different than when before proms, schools have police bring a wrecked car that teens were killed in drinking and driving, or even stage an accident complete with bloody “victims”. It’s one thing to tell people what can happen, but a visual is often more powerful.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Educate them about what? Fences and unlocked doors? Then this is to blame the neighbors for negligence.

If we are to assume parents or other responsible adults cannot watch a 1-1/2 year old every minute then sometimes accidents will happen.
Just general water safety. Pool alarms, survival swim lessons for babies and young children that teach them to turn into their backs, letting parents know how fast this can happen, just plain water safety awareness. There’s no reason to think they’re blaming anyone. The only references to blame I’ve seen are on this thread.

That said, there are easy things the neighbor could have done, like a pool alarm that just sits on the water and would have gone off as soon as the child hit the water. Again, not blame, simply awareness. I'm surprised their homeowners insurance didn't require some safety measures.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-21-2018 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events