Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 07:16 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times

Advertisements

All this woman does is lie. First she said she did not have sex with him. Then she said he was lying. Then she said she did not know he was 17. Now she's saying he forced himself on her. Give me a break. This "metoo" star needs to be in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 01:27 PM

380 posts, read 652,930 times
Longwinded statement from Argento at this link: Asia Argento Releases Lengthy Statement Claiming Underage Accuser 'Sexually Attacked' Her: Gothamist

Old 09-06-2018, 05:43 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
She's not paying him the rest of the money, either. He received 250,000 apparently.

I suppose, if it was "hush money" then it wasn't a very cost effective purchase.
Bourdain was making payments. After he died, Argento refused to pay the "balance" and then I guess the kid let the "story" leak in retribution.

I think they both sound awful, really. She should be in prison for rape, he for extortion.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:14 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Bourdain was making payments. After he died, Argento refused to pay the "balance" and then I guess the kid let the "story" leak in retribution.

I think they both sound awful, really. She should be in prison for rape, he for extortion.
I don’t know enough about the legal definition of “rape”, but as an ignorant male, I always had the idea that it was when a male forcibly, and against the will of whomever his male/female partner is, sexually penetrates that partner.
If I, as a 17, 27, or 37 year old guy start to make out with a female of legal age, and matters get to the stage where we are both aroused, to the point that we both want to have sex, and she is trying her darndest to get me inside her, how in hell is she raping me?
Unless of course, you take the view that as the kid was only 17, he couldn’t legally agree to sex, as he was too young under California law, gimme a break.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I don’t know enough about the legal definition of “rape”, but as an ignorant male, I always had the idea that it was when a male forcibly, and against the will of whomever his male/female partner is, sexually penetrates that partner.
If I, as a 17, 27, or 37 year old guy start to make out with a female of legal age, and matters get to the stage where we are both aroused, to the point that we both want to have sex, and she is trying her darndest to get me inside her, how in hell is she raping me?
Unless of course, you take the view that as the kid was only 17, he couldn’t legally agree to sex, as he was too young under California law, gimme a break.
No, it's not actually about my view. It's about this being a law, and what it says about someone that she would willfully break the law rather than wait a few more months, or choose someone who was at least 18.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I haven't really heard anyone talk about that part. Why _isn't_ what he did illegal? And how the hell did they arrive at the number $380,000?

Old 09-06-2018, 08:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I'm not sure a 17 year old having consensual sex is really even an issue. I wonder how many of us would not even exist if someone in their family tree did not have sex at age 17 or even younger for that matter. And not 500 years ago even. Many, many, many people in the 20th century got married at age 17 had had fine upstanding rewarding lives.
This a great point, this also would apply to my grandparents, (they died years ago), but they lived to their mid 80s, My grandpa was 22 when he came home from Korea in WW2, my grandma was around 14-15 at the time they got married. NOT A SINGLE PERSON ever held this against either one of them, however if he was alive today, he would be called every vile thing in the book, and probably lots of people calling for him to be arrested!!

Just shows you how bad the 'times' are we currently live in.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This a great point, this also would apply to my grandparents, (they died years ago), but they lived to their mid 80s, My grandpa was 22 when he came home from Korea in WW2, my grandma was around 14-15 at the time they got married. NOT A SINGLE PERSON ever held this against either one of them, however if he was alive today, he would be called every vile thing in the book, and probably lots of people calling for him to be arrested!!

No. What it shows is that because there were some stories like those of your grandparents, other not so happy stories were allowed while the law and loved ones looked the other way. There were some stories like your grandparents, but there were also many, many other stories of girls (usually) being taken advantage of, even outright raped, including as child brides. And the reason it could continue so long is just what you're doing now - "If it worked out for one couple, then it must be okay for other 14-year-olds to have sex with adults." The middle road - "but some girls/guys are just so mature" - is hard if not impossible to support (what's mature for 14?), or "but she said yes" (really? A middle schooler was "ready" to make that "decision"?), plus there can be other factors, some but not all of these also driven by immaturity, for defending the adult or older party.

Things weren't so rosy in the old days for everyone or even the majority. If they had been, these laws would never have come about. Nobody would even have thought of such a thing; why would they?

*Today* there is a cutoff point, state to state, to make it all very clear. There can be no question; actually, in that regard it couldn't be MORE fair. Absolutely have to have sex with that one special person? (By the way, these Qs are general, not pointed directly at this poster.) Great, wait for his/her Age of Consent birthday. There is literally no reason you should not be able to. Is the object of your desires going away to war or something? Is the planet running short of babies? Are you being sent on a 40-year mission to Venus? No? Then only literally a thumbing of one's nose at the law (or if young enough, pedophilia, which doesn't apply in the Argento case) could "force" anyone not to wait for that one birthday.

Think the law is dumb? Well, that's indicative of a risk too. Thinking laws are dumb, and going about in legitimate and legal ways to change them, is smart, adult and actually has a long-standing tradition. Thinking laws are dumb and saying "Meh, I'll do it anyway" isn't the answer unless one has a disregard for the law in general, or thinks s/he will never get caught. Two totally different scenarios and one is punishable. It is really that simple.

Now, with that said, there are also laws against extortion - both offering and accepting bribes. One does not cancel the other. Both (extortion, statutory rape) should be prosecuted. Or should have been, within the statute of limitations. It is all a giant S storm at this point.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-06-2018 at 09:33 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a solid defense. I wonder if that's what Jared Fogle argued.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:10 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:

Things were way different 80 to 100 years ago. Kids grew up way faster. They were given jobs on the farm at younger ages. They were actually doing real work at 10 or 12 years old. I also can't count how many census records I've seen in my son's family where 5 years were added onto a kids ago. It blows my mind to even think the relatives had no clue if a kid was 10 or 15 or didn't they give it much thought?

I was born in 1965; I wasn't legally allowed to work for my dad with a paycheck until I was 15 (1980) with working papers from my high school. I worked before that, starting at age 11 pumping gas. I was pumping it into cars, taking money, making change, checking oil, air in the tires and washing windows. I can't recall how old I was when he let me start driving our tow truck and Bronco (manual transmission) in the parking lot. The Bronco had a shifter on the column. I don't think I was 15 because it was before I drove my moped at 15.

IMO; Kids these days are no where near as mature as even we were
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events