Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 05:27 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The seat she was sitting on needed to fold up to make room for the wheelchair. She was sitting in a seat designated for Seniors and Persons With Disabilities. She is clearly a senior. She is an obnoxious *****, but she was within her legal right not to give up her seat. That is why the bus driver and his supervisor allowed her to remain seated and asked the man in a wheelchair to wait for the next bus.

Thanks, Cloudy. I haven't ridden a bus since I was a child, so I have no idea how the seating works today. She could have done the nice thing and changed her seat, but she was within her rights not to. The angry passengers should learn to control themselves in public. Speak if you must, but don't shout and threaten seniors. We live in an angry, "me first" world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 06:41 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just unbelievable, the sense of entitlement - apparently, not only millenials can be blamed for 'taking care of numero uno' since this is an older lady. Video of incident, including the bus driver attempting to reason with her, in the link:

https://ktla.com/2018/08/22/video-of...parks-outrage/

If you saw this, how would you react?
That look in her eyes, the 1000 yard stare, she's one doughnut short of a dozen.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:51 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
I think that as soon as it was clear that the woman wasn't moving, the bus should have continued on its way sooner.

Yes, handicapped people get the special sections and by the door, but it's also alright for them to wait for the next bus... just as all of us able-bodied people have when the bus or train arriving is already full. And just because they are disabled, doesn't mean that they have to get immediate service either.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I passed on this as soon as I saw "outrage" in the link. Tired of media outlets trying to yank us around with videos of people behaving badly.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:59 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times
It's been a long time since I rode in a bus but the ones I did ride & that were wheelchair accessible had clear signs stating people were to move it a wheelchair was in use. These seats are designed to fold up and have seat belts for the driver to secure the wheelchair.

If a person refused to move and caused such a rucus, she should have been told to get off the bus and if she refused, call the police to get her off. I don't care if she's an elder. These are the ONLY seats available to wheelchairs. They don't have choices, she did.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's been a long time since I rode in a bus but the ones I did ride & that were wheelchair accessible had clear signs stating people were to move it a wheelchair was in use. These seats are designed to fold up and have seat belts for the driver to secure the wheelchair.

If a person refused to move and caused such a rucus, she should have been told to get off the bus and if she refused, call the police to get her off. I don't care if she's an elder. These are the ONLY seats available to wheelchairs. They don't have choices, she did.

Such a sign was clearly visible in the video.

Yes, other seats were pointed out to her, passengers offered to shift around so that she could have another seat of her choice. She did nothing but shake her head repeatedly.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

You are in the wrong. Disabled/elderly people are supposed to sit in those seats. If disabled/elderly people are ALREADY in those seats then the person who wants to get on has to wait for the next bus, JUST AS ANYONE ELSE has to wait if the bus is full.

I HAVE used public buses since I became disabled. This is much ado about nothing, except that the bus driver should never have made an issue of it if the woman didn't move. I am unstable on my feet. Telling someone who is unsteady to walk to the back of the bus and find another seat is unsafe for that person. I have been literally knocked off my feet in a bus that started moving before I could even get to the handicap seats that are RIGHT IN FRONT. You don't have to be in a wheelchair to be endangered by trying to navigate the narrow aisles of a bus.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:24 AM

21,121 posts, read 19,707,707 times
One minority making life hell for another. If she were a white woman, she would be called a racist. Rosa Parks is rolling over in her grave.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:49 AM

965 posts, read 938,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Just unbelievable, the sense of entitlement - apparently, not only millenials can be blamed for 'taking care of numero uno' since this is an older lady. Video of incident, including the bus driver attempting to reason with her, in the link:

https://ktla.com/2018/08/22/video-of...parks-outrage/

If you saw this, how would you react?
I would be writing to the bus company, and the ADA to make them aware, and ask them to designate further seats. As baby boomers are aging, buses are going to need more handicapped, and elderly spaces, period.
Now is the time to get that done! Well.... 10 years ago might have been the time to get it started..... but better late than never.
“Sense of entitlement”..... sigh.... no one knows that woman’s handicap, and judgement about her is senseless. We know nothing about her, and her disability may be far worse than a wheelchair (which we can all see).

The article and “outrage” is SUCH a waste of time. If you don’t like it, do something about it,take action to changes things instead of moaning. Instead this whole thread ends up as just “gossip”, truly.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
You are in the wrong. Disabled/elderly people are supposed to sit in those seats. If disabled/elderly people are ALREADY in those seats then the person who wants to get on has to wait for the next bus, JUST AS ANYONE ELSE has to wait if the bus is full.

I HAVE used public buses since I became disabled. This is much ado about nothing, except that the bus driver should never have made an issue of it if the woman didn't move. I am unstable on my feet. Telling someone who is unsteady to walk to the back of the bus and find another seat is unsafe for that person. I have been literally knocked off my feet in a bus that started moving before I could even get to the handicap seats that are RIGHT IN FRONT. You don't have to be in a wheelchair to be endangered by trying to navigate the narrow aisles of a bus.

And any reasonable person, disabled or not, when offered by the other bus patrons another seat of her choosing so that the man in the wheelchair could ALSO be accommodated, would have taken them up on their offer. Being disabled doesn't exempt you from common courtesy, especially to other disabled persons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events