Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 06:36 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times

Advertisements

And just for a -- I think -- non-controversial current event on the lighter side --

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/08/...stanley-hotel/

This was especially amazing to me because my husband and I just stayed at the hotel last Thursday and Friday nights and have our own bear story to tell:

We were walking to downtown Estes Park last Friday morning. and encountered a hotel employee -- probably a maintenance man -- and he showed us wet/oily tracks of what he said was a "big male black bear". (I don't think it was the same bear in the video, though, because the tracks were about the size of my husband's hands with the fingers splayed, and the bear in the video does not appear to be that big.) Anyway, the man seemed very concerned about trying to figure out where it had gone, so The Stanley does take their bear "visitors" seriously. My husband later talked to the bartender about that, and he said that the bartender said that bears OUTSIDE the hotel are very common because they are attracted to the trash areas (but usually only the early morning hours).

Oh, and bear visits to Rocky Mountain National Park campgrounds are not rare at all, either. We have only gone camping at the RMNP about four times, and we had one firsthand experience with a bear and one secondhand experience. The secondhand experience was that very late at night, there were a couple of forest ranger vehicles shining their lights around, and a ranger told that someone had actually reported a bear in the campground we were at, but we never saw it. However, the firsthand experience occurred in 2010, and a bear came within about 50 yards or so above our tent campsite during the day! We saw it on the ridge directly above us, and our 16-year-old son actually crept to within about 25 feet of it, but he was quiet and stayed low and mostly hidden -- and he got some great photos of the bear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:49 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,055 times
Wendy, let me explain something to you. Whenever you come in here and interrupt me, you're breaking my concentration. You're distracting me. And it will then take me time to get back to where I was. You understand?

Old 08-24-2018, 11:58 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times
Does a bear s@!t in a hotel lobby?

Might be good for a Charmin commercial.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
I love this story.

Maybe the bear’s a King fan.

And I like your stories too, OP! I have a couple myself. Bears are pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events