Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times

Advertisements

We had a very ugly case here where a Down’s syndrome kid was left to cook in a car. They had like ten kids or something and they kept their own fridge in the master bedroom while the kids ate beans and rice so they could afford to tithe to the Church. It was probably an accident, but I’m not positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 05:11 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,363,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
5 as of 2015 and a few more on Google, one 4 days ago; SC; one in June in Detroit; dog left for 40 minutes, the alarm system failed to work to alert people

Aug 13, 2015 ... He's the fifth police dog to die in hot car in U.S. this summer.

K9 dog died in hot car - Google Search
Thank you for that link..........

It seems it is much more prevalent than I realized, and that makes me angry. Very angry.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:40 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
5 as of 2015 and a few more on Google, one 4 days ago; SC; one in June in Detroit; dog left for 40 minutes, the alarm system failed to work to alert people

Aug 13, 2015 ... He's the fifth police dog to die in hot car in U.S. this summer.

K9 dog died in hot car - Google Search
Wow! Those dogs usually come from Germany or some other country and the cost of each dog can go as high as $10,000 and more.

I can never sit in a hot car myself. The dead heat with no moving air will give me a severe headache in just a couple of minutes.

I hate to say this, but is it possible the mother left her daughter in the car deliberately? Having a special needs child can bring a mother to a breaking point and this could be the perfect accident. I know when I was babysitting, I was counting noses, constantly. I mean, like every couple of minutes if the kids went with me anywhere. Of course, it's impossible for a mother to do that all day on account of so many other things that have to be done. But still, her life will be easier without a special needs child to take care of. Although if she didn't do this deliberately, I'm sure she'd far rather have the hard work and the child back.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Wow! Those dogs usually come from Germany or some other country and the cost of each dog can go as high as $10,000 and more.

I can never sit in a hot car myself. The dead heat with no moving air will give me a severe headache in just a couple of minutes.

I hate to say this, but is it possible the mother left her daughter in the car deliberately? Having a special needs child can bring a mother to a breaking point and this could be the perfect accident. I know when I was babysitting, I was counting noses, constantly. I mean, like every couple of minutes if the kids went with me anywhere. Of course, it's impossible for a mother to do that all day on account of so many other things that have to be done. But still, her life will be easier without a special needs child to take care of. Although if she didn't do this deliberately, I'm sure she'd far rather have the hard work and the child back.
I don't think anyone but a literal monster could deliberately leave a child to suffocate and cook to death. This definitely wasn't where my mind went with this story. If the girl was ambulatory perhaps she passed out or something or was ill, but the mother assumed she had gone into the house.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:36 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,530 times
Assuming that 1 of the 3 other kids was older than this 11-year-old, why that kid didn't stay with the 11-year-old is another question to ask.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:02 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,420,365 times
The child was non-verbal and had special needs, the mother prob. felt she was safer being w/ her rather than staying at home w/ a sibling (I c/b wrong but got the impression the siblings were younger so if that were the case, it would be a moot point)

Old 08-30-2018, 03:08 AM

11 posts, read 4,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme
Parents need to be held accountable.
Yes they do... If this was indeed a special needs girl she should not have been left alone!!

Very sad all around........

Old 08-30-2018, 03:19 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Try more then double of that. The dog in SC was very young too.

Police Dog Dies After Being Left in Hot Car for 6 Hours, Chief Says
Quote:
The 22-month-old explosive-sniffing dog had been with Hurt for seven months...

At least three police dogs have died from heat stress inside vehicles so far in 2018 and that number is unofficial because there is no requirement to report the deaths of police dogs to the government, said Catie Cryar, a spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Last year, PETA counted 13 police dog heat deaths, Cryar said, while the website had seven dogs killed by gunfire and two stabbed to death.

Holbrook estimated the police department lost about $25,000 in training and other expenses from the dog's death.
Quote:

I do not understand it. I raised 2 kids that are 8 years apart, have never left either kid in the car. Now I practically raise my 5 year old grandson have never, ever accidentally left him in the car. Even my daughter, who shares custody of her daughter has never left either kid in a car.

I'm really curious what the outcome will be because according to the link she was a helicopter parent. She doesn't sound like the type either.

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-30-2018 at 03:28 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 07:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Sometimes a tragedy is just a tragedy. It makes us feel better from afar to demand a new law or demand that heads roll, but it doesn't really help anything. May that girl rest in peace.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:14 AM

7,028 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Quote:
Try more then double of that. The dog in SC was very young too.
I was just quoting the purchase price without any training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events