Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times

Advertisements

I know a 13 year old who cannot unbuckle or buckle her seat belt. She has special needs. So it was either that, or she somehow was trapped inside the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Who said anything about not having a clue where their 11 year old is? But since it's a FACT that NO ONE can have eyes on their child 100% of the time, there is some degree of assumption that they are where you believe they should be.
If you watch the video it is reported as the mother saying she had no idea the child was still inside the car.

If people are in a car and you get home or get to your destination how would you not notice if someone didn't get out the car?

Doesn't make sense.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:57 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If you watch the video it is reported as the mother saying she had no idea the child was still inside the car.

If people are in a car and you get home or get to your destination how would you not notice if someone didn't get out the car?

Doesn't make sense.
Because you walk in first, hear your kids tumbling in behind you and assume since none of them say "Hey, Sheila's still in the car," she's inside the house too.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Because you walk in first, hear your kids tumbling in behind you and assume since none of them say "Hey, Sheila's still in the car," she's inside the house too.

You know what they say about "assume" don't you?

We're not talking about a bus load of 40 kids here, we're talking 3 kids, and one is special needs.

No one notices she isn't with them? You never turn around?

IDK about you but when I am in a car with other people, if someone didn't get out of the car I would notice.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:15 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,990,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You know what they say about "assume" don't you?

We're not talking about a bus load of 40 kids here, we're talking 3 kids, and one is special needs.

No one notices she isn't with them? You never turn around?

IDK about you but when I am in a car with other people, if someone didn't get out of the car I would notice.
You asked how it could potentially happen and I answered.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You asked how it could potentially happen and I answered.
Sorry, that's not too logical.

IDK how 4 people are in a car, and only 3 get out and no one notices. Especially when you're dealing with a family member who is special needs.

My guess would be they were all "lost in their phones".

Old 08-30-2018, 07:24 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Walking away from this thread. I just can't with people showing such a lack of compassion.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:02 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Parents need to be held accountable. None of this, well they are suffering enough. They should be charged. Animal parents also. How stupid can one be, to leave a child or animal in a car that gets over 100 degrees. :mad
Don’t worry I have no doubt she will be charged. In 2018 we prosecute everything, accidents like this are definitely prosecutable. We have more people in prison than any other nation on earth because of our tend to prosecute every accident, act of bad judgment etc. We even have people in prison for urinating behind a bar.

I am not defending this woman’s stupidity, just asking why we need to lock her up? Is she dangerous? Evil? No she is guilty of deadly stupidity.

Remember now all her kids will likely be wards of the state, a burden to tax payers. She will cost 50k or more to keep her in prison. When she gets out she will be unemployable and in need of government services. This lock up everyone attitude is expensive for us taxpayers.

Prison should be for dangerous evil individuals. Predators, violent people and criminals belong there. Accidental killers are not evil or dangerous. Locking them up accomplishes nothing but cost taxpayers money.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Don’t worry I have no doubt she will be charged. In 2018 we prosecute everything, accidents like this are definitely prosecutable. We have more people in prison than any other nation on earth because of our tend to prosecute every accident, act of bad judgment etc. We even have people in prison for urinating behind a bar.

I am not defending this woman’s stupidity, just asking why we need to lock her up? Is she dangerous? Evil? No she is guilty of deadly stupidity.

Remember now all her kids will likely be wards of the state, a burden to tax payers. She will cost 50k or more to keep her in prison. When she gets out she will be unemployable and in need of government services. This lock up everyone attitude is expensive for us taxpayers.

Prison should be for dangerous evil individuals. Predators, violent people and criminals belong there. Accidental killers are not evil or dangerous. Locking them up accomplishes nothing but cost taxpayers money.
My best friend did a prison stint for keeping a rental car too long. To make a long story short, he and his gf got into a loud argument at the hotel they were staying at. No violence involved, but they both got tossed in jail. She bailed out early and took off with the rental car. After three days, rental car companies file for grand theft auto. He got out, paid the bill, but the warrent was already on the books.

A year later, he gets pulled over and does a year in California’s for-profit prison system.

Every word of this is pure truth. We need overhauls in our system. I don’t think there is a conservative or democrat that would agree that our tax dollars need to pay for this, and deprive someone of their freedom for a year.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM

668 posts, read 470,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's not neglect. That's ridiculous. No parent has their eyes on their children 100% of the time.

Just like the Bode Miller thread ... should have expected that the Perfect Parent Patrol would pop up!!!

When did common sense and being a parent turn into the online crime of "perfect parent " crap i keep seeing.

That is all this is. common sense. and being a parent. You had x number of kids in the car on your trip. X number of kids exited car and went in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events