Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:43 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

He was probably mentally ill, and as such his refusal to turn off the music should have been tolerated as part of his "disability."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 04:44 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
You have no right to invade the sound of those around you with your crappy music on loudspeaker. It's common sense, common courtesy, politeness, and considerate.

If you are dumb enough to do this, yes, you deserve a beatdown. It drives me nuts that people think this is ok.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

If you are dumb enough to do this, yes, you deserve a beatdown. It drives me nuts that people think this is ok.
Who thinks it's okay?

I don't particularly think it's okay, but that doesn't mean I want to live in a world where thugs are free to administer "beatdowns" at every annoyance.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:06 PM

26 posts, read 33,163 times
I don't get why people play loud music on public transports either. First it's likely bad music. Second, people can't really be without their "music" for a few hours?

Old 09-02-2018, 06:49 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I don't like loud music and don't have respect for those who 'share' it. I also don't respect those who just 'handle it' themselves. Both were wrong, but the men who threw him off of the bus were more wrong.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:08 AM

914 posts, read 642,700 times
We get this rude behavior frequently on public rail. I sit enduring it quietly while fantasizing taking the offender's phone and stomping on it until it is rendered useless. It is a satisfying fantasy but will eventually get me killed I'm sure of it.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:34 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I ride the train to work every day. It always amazes m how inconsiderate some riders are. The blasting music - usually some kind of rap - is the last thing I want to hear at the end of my workday when I'm mentally exhausted and "peopled out" from being on the phone all day. While I would never physically attack the jerk who is blasting their music, I have to admit I'd like to.

Add that to the other inconsiderate behavior like talking loudly on the phone, putting their feet up (dilthy soles down) on the seats, eating and drinking on the train and leaving their trash behind on the seats. You have to wonder how these people were raised. It seems basic consideration for others simply does not exist in their world.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:55 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Um, I actually thought the stupid young guy probably learned a lesson.

He looks like an adult to me.

But guy in hat probably had a type of road rage. A headlock is not cool. Other passengers certainly thought it was too much.

This is clearly not a case of bystanders NOT ignoring something bad going down.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:04 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Maybe he didn't want to have to pay again? Maybe he didn't want to have to wait for the next train (which can be a long wait as they're frequently delayed by 15+ minutes).

Regardless, while what he did was inconsiderate to the other passengers, the people who actually deserve to suffer serious consequences are the two who thought that the proper reaction to a mild annoyance was assault and battery. They belong in jail and on the receiving end of a civil suit. We live in a society; you don't get to violently attack someone just because they annoyed you.

As for that BS about loud music increasing heart rates and that constituting assault, please. Which gets your heart going more, some annoying music or witnessing a violent assault and battery on the train?
I take Muni and BART almost every day. What the guy with the music was doing was annoying, but its an everyday occurrence that ranks pretty low on the list of crap that goes down on Muni on a routine basis.
Well that ‘BS’ about loud, umwanted music raising heart rate and BP has been the subject of at least a couple of studies by people with, I am guessing, more education than you.

Regardless, thankfully your kum bay yah baloney is in the minority here, so common sense prevails.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As for that BS about loud music increasing heart rates and that constituting assault, please. Which gets your heart going more, some annoying music or witnessing a violent assault and battery on the train?
I take Muni and BART almost every day. What the guy with the music was doing was annoying, but its an everyday occurrence that ranks pretty low on the list of crap that goes down on Muni on a routine basis.
You misunderstood the comments about the loud music changing your heart rhythm.

The thread took a bit of a rabbit trail, about cars in traffic who have their bass cranked way up, with sound systems augmented way beyond the original manufacturer's capabilities. That boom booming, that you feel more in your heart than you do in your ears, are what was being discussed.

No one thinks an Iphone on a train can cause someone's heart to go out of rhythm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events