Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:06 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,274 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't even curtsy or call Elizabeth II 'Your highness' (tho I'll never have the chance) much less worry about this self-absorbed arrogant snob.
Hope she never runs into ME.

Oh yeah, and I call all my medical professionals by their first name as soon as they call me by mine.
Will not personally address a PHD as Doctor. Ever.
Never had a problem with anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 03:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
I'm just wondering if it's common for people to use their educational credentials on airline tickets? Like, if someone has an associates degree do they put that next to their name?

Old 09-06-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Just to clarify, she is a PhD, not an MD, DDS, DC, DO, or DVM..
Being an MD didn't stop United Airlines from beating up and dragging a doctor off their airplane. Not that it matters because they shouldn't do that to anyone, no matter who they are.

Perhaps the airlines should just stick to addressing everyone as Miss, Mister, etc. no matter who they are.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:18 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
I was glad to see the airline response. From the link above- A Qantas spokesperson told Yahoo on Thursday. “Our crew treat all passengers with the utmost respect, regardless of age, gender, and occupation.”

Old 09-06-2018, 03:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm just wondering if it's common for people to use their educational credentials on airline tickets? Like, if someone has an associates degree do they put that next to their name?
No, but according to Emily Post, the proper address for those with PhDs and MDs is "Dr." even when used in a social environment.

Probably just a recent graduate who's a little too full of herself, but I have trouble seeing it as any big deal. The problem is is that some people take any little thing to social media, and the internet sometimes goes stupid over it.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, but according to Emily Post, the proper address for those with PhDs and MDs is "Dr." even when used in a social environment.
A lot of traditional etiquette is outdated and archaic. I can't imagine referring to someone as "Doctor" in a strictly social environment.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Quote:
A lot of traditional etiquette is outdated and archaic. I can't imagine referring to someone as "Doctor" in a strictly social environment.
Well, certainly not with someone you're on a first-name basis with such as a friend, neighbor, or a regular acquaintance in your social circle.

If you run into your doctor, your kids' doctor, your pet's doctor, etc., outside of their office, I suppose you'd call them by their first name, then. I'm not sure most people would.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:44 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
It's quite rare, except among those who have a colossal stick up their rear about being addressed correctly. And she ahs now decided that this was sexism, please do not ask me why.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, certainly not with someone you're on a first-name basis with such as a friend, neighbor, or a regular acquaintance in your social circle.

If you run into your doctor, your kids' doctor, your pet's doctor, etc., outside of their office, I suppose you'd call them by their first name, then. I'm not sure most people would.
Then of course you can always (oh be still, my beating heart) just ASK them how they prefer to be addressed! If I meet a known lettered professional outside the office I use their title first. If they say to do otherwise, I'll do that next time. The ones who are more hung up about the title will care. The others won't.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:51 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...174912791.html

"O’Dwyer was boarding a Qantas plane when a flight attendant reportedly looked at her boarding pass — which said “Dr. O’Dwyer” — and instead addressed her as “Miss O’Dwyer.”

“Do not look at my ticket, look at me, look back at my ticket, decide it’s a typo, and call me Miss O’Dwyer,” Dwyer shared on social media. “I did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss.”
Oh goodness, what a drama queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events