Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Then of course you can always (oh be still, my beating heart) just ASK them how they prefer to be addressed! If I meet a known lettered professional outside the office I use their title first. If they say to do otherwise, I'll do that next time. The ones who are more hung up about the title will care. The others won't.
Of course you can ask them how they care to be addressed. But if I run into Buster's vet at a local restaurant and we say hello, I'm just going to call her Dr. Buster's Vet. But if she were a regular in my social circle, I'd think it was a little weird if she insisted on holding onto the title and probably just wouldn't call her anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 04:08 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
"No, I spent 8 years at university to be petty and immature if people don't address me the way I want them to."

Seriously. Of all the things to get upset about? She must have a great life if this is what her struggles consist of!
This is what people would define as a first world problem.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:11 PM

297 posts, read 166,653 times
So...

woman gets PHD, puts Dr as title/salutation, airline doesn't oblige and all of you are outraged at her selfishness.

man takes hormones, puts in breast implants, wears dresses and wants to be called her, hers, they, theirs or whatever pronoun and all of you scream inequality when someone doesn't use the proper pronoun.

i'm scratching my head here...

Old 09-06-2018, 04:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,537,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
A lot of traditional etiquette is outdated and archaic. I can't imagine referring to someone as "Doctor" in a strictly social environment.

It sounds totally crazy. I have tons of friends from college who now have PhDs, and I don't know of anyone who expects to be called "Dr." in a social context. I suppose, perhaps, it could be normal in a social situation such as a cocktail party in which many people don't know each other and someone is introducing someone else to the "doctor." But even then it seems like that would only make sense if the party were within academia.

Yes, if I ran into my medical doctor when out shopping, or my college professor who goes by "doctor," I would call them "Doctor So and So." But that would only be because I had a pre-existing relationship with them which existed within the setting in which they would traditionally be called "Doctor." If I were not their patient or student and it was not in a medical or academic setting, I can't see calling them by their professional title.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:22 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
The air hostess should have called her "Ma'am".

Old 09-06-2018, 04:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
The air hostess should have called her "Ma'am".
If that's what they call everyone else, sure. I get called "Ma'am" all the time.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:31 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Note to all airline employees who meet customers: Take a good look at this person's picture, so that you will recognize her (it) anywhere, anytime, then be sure to call her "Yo, you there, Ma'am, the skinny, dark haired, DOCTOR broad!"
PhD: Piled higher, Deeper.
I have known a few people with higher degrees in my life. Many of them were at the top of the list for "Least Common Sense" awards.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:37 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...174912791.html

"O’Dwyer was boarding a Qantas plane when a flight attendant reportedly looked at her boarding pass — which said “Dr. O’Dwyer” — and instead addressed her as “Miss O’Dwyer.”

“Do not look at my ticket, look at me, look back at my ticket, decide it’s a typo, and call me Miss O’Dwyer,” Dwyer shared on social media. “I did not spend 8 years at university to be called Miss.”

Wow burn the flight attendant at the stake for making a mistake. It doesn't bode well for the new doctor and patient relations.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:42 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I suspect most flight attendants don't really care what a person does for a living. They're too busy.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Do not look at my ticket, look at me, look back at my ticket
I think this is what got her going. The attendant took the time to look at the ticket twice, apparently.

Must be a slow day in the tabloids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events