Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 12:56 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
That was my question above, but after reading the report more thoroughly, I believe this is bad reporting. I seriously doubt it was dynamite, but rather a large firework, which sometimes get's called a "quarter stick of dynamite" by kids but in reality is not.
Dynamite is sold in full sticks, half sticks and quarter sticks. It is not inconceivable that the woman did, indeed, find quarter-sticks of dynamite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Real dynamite needs a cap to go off...
Yeah? Seems pretty obvious that the cap and fuse were already inserted, otherwise there would have been nothing for her to light...and it's becoming somewhat obvious that you don't know much about dynamite either, or caps.

A blasting cap is a small sensitive primary explosive device generally used to detonate a larger, more powerful and less sensitive secondary explosive such as TNT, dynamite, or plastic explosive.

Blasting caps come in a variety of types, including non-electric caps, electric caps, and fuse caps. They are used in commercial mining, excavation, and demolition. Electric types are set off by a short burst of current conducted from a blasting machine by a long wire to the cap to ensure safety. Traditional fuse caps have a fuse which is ignited by a flame source, such as a match or a lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Candles are waxy Dynamite/ fireworks are not.
Modern dynamite is manufactured using waxed paper/cardboard, the stick would have a 'waxy' feel to it. In addition, the recommended 'shelf-life' of dynamite is one year, under optimum conditions, aging dynamite begins to 'sweat' nitroglycerin which would contribute to a slick, waxy feel to the stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Candles burn with a steady flame. Dynamite/fireworks fuses burn like a sparkler.
True, but by then it would be too late, unless she made the connection and had enough sense to pull the fuse out...which it would not be a surprise that she did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
My thoughts exactly. Has she even SEEN a candle before?
Had she ever seen dynamite before? I have often been guilty of under-estimating the stupidity of the average person, but most people have never seen dynamite and it is quite likely that she would have been completely clueless. The point is not whether she had ever seen a candle before, but whether she had ever seen dynamite before. Many of those of us with testicles are likely to have some ideas and knowledge of things that go boom, but it does not surprise me that someone who lacks such accoutrements does not...especially a 30 year-old woman of 'average' intelligence who may never have seen some of the old cartoons and other comedy programs depicting such things, and has no knowledge or experience of them.

"Oh, look, it's cylindrical and has a wick, it must be a candle. It's a bit odd, but I don't know what else it could be." Boom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 01:17 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Dynamite is sold in full sticks, half sticks and quarter sticks. It is not inconceivable that the woman did, indeed, find quarter-sticks of dynamite.

Yeah? Seems pretty obvious that the cap and fuse were already inserted, otherwise there would have been nothing for her to light...and it's becoming somewhat obvious that you don't know much about dynamite either, or caps.

A blasting cap is a small sensitive primary explosive device generally used to detonate a larger, more powerful and less sensitive secondary explosive such as TNT, dynamite, or plastic explosive.

Blasting caps come in a variety of types, including non-electric caps, electric caps, and fuse caps. They are used in commercial mining, excavation, and demolition. Electric types are set off by a short burst of current conducted from a blasting machine by a long wire to the cap to ensure safety. Traditional fuse caps have a fuse which is ignited by a flame source, such as a match or a lighter.

Modern dynamite is manufactured using waxed paper/cardboard, the stick would have a 'waxy' feel to it. In addition, the recommended 'shelf-life' of dynamite is one year, under optimum conditions, aging dynamite begins to 'sweat' nitroglycerin which would contribute to a slick, waxy feel to the stick.

True, but by then it would be too late, unless she made the connection and had enough sense to pull the fuse out...which it would not be a surprise that she did not.

Had she ever seen dynamite before? I have often been guilty of under-estimating the stupidity of the average person, but most people have never seen dynamite and it is quite likely that she would have been completely clueless. The point is not whether she had ever seen a candle before, but whether she had ever seen dynamite before. Many of those of us with testicles are likely to have some ideas and knowledge of things that go boom, but it does not surprise me that someone who lacks such accoutrements does not...especially a 30 year-old woman of 'average' intelligence who may never have seen some of the old cartoons and other comedy programs depicting such things, and has no knowledge or experience of them.

"Oh, look, it's cylindrical and has a wick, it must be a candle. It's a bit odd, but I don't know what else it could be." Boom.
I believe this to be the case. I looked at some of the articles about this accident and BOTH the man and the woman remembered seeing something in the basement that looked like candles. So it is not just a stupid woman.

Also, one article said it was more a FIREWORK than a stick of dynamite. And it was more or less home made so we don't really know exactly what it looked like. Bad reporting--not dynamite at all.

AND, she did this in the dark, fumbling around to find the "candles" that they remembered seeing in the basement. Maybe she did have a flashlight but still, how well can you see?

Easy to be a Monday morning quarterback and act superior to someone. No, I don't think I would have taken a match to it but then I would have had a supply of real candles on hand. I know where the candles are at all times. But that's me. What she did seems sort of strange, but how many people would expect illegal fireworks to be sitting in their basement? No worse than the "Duh, I didn't think it was a real gun."

Old 09-09-2018, 04:23 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Go back and read the original article. It says an M-1000 firework. Which is often called dynamite, but isn't. And the idea that someone just left dynamite all ready to go like that with cap and fuse inserted makes less sense than the paper reporting an M1000 as "dynamite."

Old 09-09-2018, 05:01 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Why are people still using candles when you can find things like these on Amazon or at Harbor Freight for little cost? I have around ten of the product in the first link that I have obtained for free over the last few years using the 'free with other purchase' harbor freight coupons.

https://www.amazon.com/Worklight-Fla...SIN=B00A9Z9L06

https://www.amazon.com/Lumens-Bright...SIN=B07D5JCBW4

Candles are just so stone age.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They probably looked like the example provided in post #18.

They didn't have any tapers, Yankee Candles or flashlights? Nothing?
Cell phones?

Seriously, it seems that is what most people use for flash lights these days. Myself, a mini Mag lite is part of my daily load out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Why are people still using candles when you can find things like these on Amazon or at Harbor Freight for little cost? I have around ten of the product in the first link that I have obtained for free over the last few years using the 'free with other purchase' harbor freight coupons.

https://www.amazon.com/Worklight-Fla...SIN=B00A9Z9L06

https://www.amazon.com/Lumens-Bright...SIN=B07D5JCBW4

Candles are just so stone age.
Candles are simpler. A match and you are on your way. The things you suggested, while Great, are more complex, require one to have a stock of batteries around, and also pose the question of how to recycle all of it in the end.

Further, candles have more uses, such as emergency warmth by putting one in a coffee can, or the romance of taking a bubble bath surrounded by them. One may not be taking a bath when the power goes out but at least one probably knows where those candles are.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-09-2018 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 08:56 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Oh Jesus H. Christ. I've never been up close and personal with a stick of dynamite, despite having a semi-rural upbringing with a lot of redneck elements. A lot of areas restrict access to such things. If she was distracted by a storm and the chaos it could have generated with her having children, it's quite conceivable she didn't know what was happening until it was too late. If they had not already identified the sticks as dynamite, she was not of that mindset. If you were not around that kind of thing growing up, you would never expect to find dynamite in the basement of your new house.

I realize a lot of people on here love to scoff at other people's tragedies and brag about how it would never happen to them to feel important, but this is a new low.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:48 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Back in the 1970's all the kids called the H-100's 'silver salutes' and 'quarter sticks of dynamite' but they were just kidding themselves. The thing is that even one of those H-100's held at arms length would have shredded your whole hand and probably ruined your eyes and screwed up your face as well. You hold a real quarter stick of dynamite and light it, you are dead.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:45 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
And now time for a quick back home story, converted into a joke to save the guilty.

Ole and Sven decided to go ice fishing. So they gathered up the normal essentials and drove their truck out onto the lake.

Says Sven, "Ole...it's mighty cold out here. Rather than drilling a hold, why don't I just use a stick of dynamite and I'll blow a hole in the ice."

"You betcha Ole, that's a good idea. Let me just comfort the dog while you do it so it don't get scared."

So Sven, he lights that stick a dynamite and gives her a good toss, when he he hears Old yelling at the dog...."No. No. No."

You see, the dog had thought they were playing the oldest game of fetch, and had run off to retrieve the stick Sven had just tossed and now was running it right back to them.

Not knowing what else to do, Old takes a little .22 he had with him, and with a heavy heart, shoots the dog, wounding it. The dog, confused, takes cover in the only place possible out there on the frozen lake.

Under the truck.

Boom. Dog is gone, truck is at the bottom of the lake. No fish for Ole and Sven.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Clearly this woman is an idiot
I really want to feel for this woman, but I got to say, how do you make a mistake like that? Others have mentioned that the fuse/wick would be so completely different how would one not get that.

Was it completely dark when she went to light it???? Is she Mrs. Mago? WTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events