Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:03 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times

Advertisements

I wonder if homicide charges of manslaughter should be applied here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 10:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Oops.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Not all cops are created equal. They should be required to have medical/emt training so they can recognize true health issues. Poor training.
I didn't watch the video. I can't unsee things.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I am sicken by this.

I also know that the penal systems creates rules that look good on paper (to "CYA" the higher authorites), while staff shortages make them impossible for correction officers to fulfill. Nobody is going to "go down" except the correction officers, and that is not acceptable.

Inmates never shut up, especially when drunk or high. They whine, fuss, kick, scream, do anything for attention. Some will even vomit and relieve themselves on the floor for attention. Corrections officers are understaffed. They have to tone those things out in order to do (survive) their jobs.

In this case, someone really was in distress. And now, rather than stand up for their staff, the powers that be will blame an officer for "failing to follow the rules".
And many inmates will fake their distress in order to get special treatment or to get out of a situation.

I have no sympathy for any drug addicts. Drug addiction is a result of a many poor life decisions. It's not a disease, and society shouldn't have to pick up the bill for these losers. And no, most drug addicts didn't get there by being on prescribed drugs.

No matter how badly life treats me or how bored I am, I would never ever turn to trying drugs for "kicks".

Old 09-09-2018, 07:16 AM

88 posts, read 86,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I understand much of the general public, law enforcement and health care workers are fed up with dealing with addicts but what happened to this woman seems deplorable and inexcusable in my opinion.

****video isn't horribly graphic, shows her behavior at the time of arrest, her behavior while in the cell, at the end her body is removed but that may be disturbing to some (it is covered).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-...ment-policies/
Show it to kids in high school as a reminder to NOT DO DRUGS.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:17 AM

88 posts, read 86,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not all cops are created equal. They should be required to have medical/emt training so they can recognize true health issues. Poor training.
I didn't watch the video. I can't unsee things.
"They should be required to have medical/emt training"

They should be required to be full MD's, and ALSO to have LAW DEGREES!

And YOU can pay for it!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTexas18 View Post
"They should be required to have medical/emt training"

They should be required to be full MD's, and ALSO to have LAW DEGREES!

And YOU can pay for it!
Truthfully, all they had to do is follow policy of doing welfare checks. (Which I guess they did, actually. They did seem to come in and kick at her to see if she was still alive, and made her attempt to mop up her continuing vomit. Maybe the guards are too dumb to know what the required welfare checks are for - so you can react when a prisoner is in clear medical distress). A prisoner who has been there for 3 days, hasn't eaten, hasn't gotten out of bed, is vomiting bile, requires medical attention. And their policy agrees, and the guards either willfully or due to lack of training violated the policies that would have saved her life.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's really not about sympathy for the person in this case.

It's about an expectation that the government will properly safeguard individuals in its charge. An incarcerated person is a ward of the state. The state has an obligation - a moral obligation - to assure basic levels of safety and care.

Really, it's about you and I. That's who the state is: us. We are the state. I expect the state not to abandon people in cells to die. What about you? I guess you're cool with that.

Hopefully, it's never anyone you happen to care about who finds themselves, unconvicted, in state custody and ignored and left to die. But I suppose you imagine that the state is so perfect and infallible that this only happens to 'those who deserve it' (you, of course, being the supreme arbiter of who deserves what).

This^^^^

This person has a complete grasp on what this topic is about and why it should be of concern to people.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:08 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And many inmates will fake their distress in order to get special treatment or to get out of a situation.

I have no sympathy for any drug addicts. Drug addiction is a result of a many poor life decisions. It's not a disease, and society shouldn't have to pick up the bill for these losers. And no, most drug addicts didn't get there by being on prescribed drugs.

No matter how badly life treats me or how bored I am, I would never ever turn to trying drugs for "kicks".
That's fine for you to have that opinion; however, you wouldn't be able to be in a job where you are the only line of communication for an incarcerated person.

Someone whose job it is to supervise incarcerated people - alone - has to have the mindset that they will react to life and death situations the inmates under their guard are experiencing. And they won't choose certain attributes of the inmate that they have "no sympathy for" and will allow the person to slowly die on their watch.

That's why they have mandated welfare checks on inmates, and specific anti-suicide protocols for inmates who are potentially suicidal.

I wonder. What did these guards think their job was, if not to respond to dying prisoners?

Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 AM

15,437 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for this woman. Totally self inflicted. You reap what you sow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
let's not play shoulda/coulda/woulda. It is meaningless. The deceased made the decisions that put her in that spot, not me and not you. And she would have sold YOUR soul in a heartbeat for more heroin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Complete and utter lack of empathy for others shown in these posts. The dead person developed addiction after a soccer injury. That probably means she was over prescribed opiods by a doctor,and developed an addiction to them, and when the vicodin and oxycodone became too expensive or too hard to obtain, she switched to heroin because it's cheaper and easier to find. This is a well known progression for many drug addicts these days, and it's not a choice thing. None of them chose to become addicts, they just followed instructions on the prescribed medications and slid down a very slippery slope that is nearly impossible to climb back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events