Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:13 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times

Advertisements

I understand much of the general public, law enforcement and health care workers are fed up with dealing with addicts but what happened to this woman seems deplorable and inexcusable in my opinion.

****video isn't horribly graphic, shows her behavior at the time of arrest, her behavior while in the cell, at the end her body is removed but that may be disturbing to some (it is covered).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-...ment-policies/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 09:24 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Disclaimer: I'm not saying they were not responsible for her death.

Should have thought about that before she started doing drugs.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Not surprising, many in law enforcement take the fight against drugs on a personal level, they truly believe they are doing a good thing!

In the end, her family will get a big check, a few people will be fired, but after that, it will be back to business as usual for police.

Ending this drug war immediately is what needs to happen, the public should really demand this happen.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:48 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Just more evidence that we have two systems of justice in this country. One for government agents, and one for everyone else. If they were not government agents they would have been arrested on the spot and sent to prison. It's just like when cops shoot someone and the DA announces that the cops actions were not justified under the law, but declines to prosecute them, because they have already been fired by the police department. Being fired is not a penalty for committing a crime. Going to prison like anyone else, is the penalty for committing a crime.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:19 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Extremely negligent and inhumane. They found her cold and unresponsive and then still left her there dead for hours.

And the one guys "punishment" was early retirement. They also got him a bonus for a larger pension/better benefits. I guess that's what you get for not doing you job and someone dying.

Idc if she was addict, she was also a human being.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Extremely negligent and inhumane. They found her cold and unresponsive and then still left her there dead for hours.

And the one guys "punishment" was early retirement. They also got him a bonus for a larger pension/better benefits. I guess that's what you get for not doing you job and someone dying.

I agree, this case is awful.

The lack of human compassion, and the decision by a guard to withhold what he must have known was a potentially deadly situation, and then to leave her there dead is beyond excuse.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:45 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for this woman. Totally self inflicted. You reap what you sow.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:33 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for this woman. Totally self inflicted. You reap what you sow.
It's really not about sympathy for the person in this case.

It's about an expectation that the government will properly safeguard individuals in its charge. An incarcerated person is a ward of the state. The state has an obligation - a moral obligation - to assure basic levels of safety and care.

Really, it's about you and I. That's who the state is: us. We are the state. I expect the state not to abandon people in cells to die. What about you? I guess you're cool with that.

Hopefully, it's never anyone you happen to care about who finds themselves, unconvicted, in state custody and ignored and left to die. But I suppose you imagine that the state is so perfect and infallible that this only happens to 'those who deserve it' (you, of course, being the supreme arbiter of who deserves what).

Old 09-08-2018, 03:51 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's really not about sympathy for the person in this case.

It's about an expectation that the government will properly safeguard individuals in its charge. An incarcerated person is a ward of the state. The state has an obligation - a moral obligation - to assure basic levels of safety and care.

Really, it's about you and I. That's who the state is: us. We are the state. I expect the state not to abandon people in cells to die. What about you? I guess you're cool with that.

Hopefully, it's never anyone you happen to care about who finds themselves, unconvicted, in state custody and ignored and left to die. But I suppose you imagine that the state is so perfect and infallible that this only happens to 'those who deserve it' (you, of course, being the supreme arbiter of who deserves what).

yada, yada. Moralize all you want but the "arbiter of who deserves it" was in this case the woman who died. Not me, not you.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:54 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Thank you for this line. I am pretty appalled at this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events