Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
She's not evil incarnate, she's sick.

Sick people should not be thrown out in society without very close monitoring from the mental health system. It doesn't matter if she's 25 or 105.

Now that the criminal justice system is washing their hands of this matter, the chances of that happening are zero unless she commits a criminal act.
She's supposed to agree to mental health treatment as a condition of her release as well as report to a parole officer on a regular basis. I think it's possible that she'll slip off their radar and end up being part of the homeless community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
She's supposed to agree to mental health treatment as a condition of her release as well as report to a parole officer on a regular basis. I think it's possible that she'll slip off their radar and end up being part of the homeless community.
I suspect too that will be the case. I can’t see her diligently following up with mental health treatments. Plus she doesn’t seem remorseful and is reading the same literature as when she was with her partner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
So what is their point exactly? To rant and rave and complain at all the perceived injustices in the world?

I reviewed some of the posts and it is not as cut and dried as it appears to you. Some of the posts seem to advocate ignoring the law to keep someone like Barzee in prison.

Barzee is a sad specimen of a human being and was indisputably dangerous when she was younger. At 72, I'm skeptical that she is capable of any bad acts other than maybe shoplifting.
Ok yes that’s what many of us are doing in this thread. It’s venting and blowing off steam. Also she may be 72 but she could still participate in a lot of criminal acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Markg is an actual lawyer. Just fyi.

He is being so adamant because too often, threads like this or threads advocating for vigilante justice come up and there are always psychos who 1. show a total lack of understanding of the law and our system and/or 2. seriously believe that vigilante justice or locking people up forever, though our laws only allow it for certain crimes, is fair and should happen for many crimes, regardless of the circumstances. There are some very emotional people out there who sometimes, in some situations, cannot sit back and see things logically or rationally for even a second. Or who simply don't know what they're talking about. I'm not accusing anyone here of doing those things, just explaining where he is coming from. There are a few posters who are lawyers who typically pop up on these kinds of threads to bring it back down a notch to reality and reason.

Nobody has to like how the state legislatures or Congress have made sentencing guidelines and laws and all that stuff, and some criticism sometimes is deserved, but if they truly find it that much of an issue, lobbying for change would be a good step. Especially when it comes to mentally ill criminals and how they are handled, because that's a whole other mess.
That’s wonderful. Based upon his verbiage I’m not surprised. Yes I understand the concept as stated earlier and I also understand vigilantism.

Quote:
You don't understand that people can have a strong emotional reaction against Barzee's release yet realize that the justice system doesn't work that way — or even necessarily want it to work that way?

Here's a parallel that might clarify it for you ... many people don't believe that the state should have the power of life or death over its citizens, yet many of those same people personally feel that certain offenders who've committed particularly heinous crimes deserve to die. They're capable of making the distinction between how they emotionally react to a situation and what they think speaks to the greater good of society.

Moderator cut: .

Agree.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:03 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Send me the bill. I'd gladly pay for her to remain in a hole somewhere.
Lol.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post

Ok yes that’s what many of us are doing in this thread. It’s venting and blowing off steam. Also she may be 72 but she could still participate in a lot of criminal acts.

Agreed; she seems the type to be easily manipulated, and who knows what she might be talked into doing if she falls in with the criminal element on the streets. Her past crimes could have been easily committed by someone of her current age, so I'm also not sure that being 72 years old makes her harmless.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Agreed; she seems the type to be easily manipulated, and who knows what she might be talked into doing if she falls in with the criminal element on the streets. Her past crimes could have been easily committed by someone of her current age, so I'm also not sure that being 72 years old makes her harmless.
Your point is that a seventy-two year old woman with mental problems is capable of abducting and holding a teenager out of sight for an extended period of time? Correct?

I think the earlier discussed possibility of her becoming homeless and disappearing from sight is far more likely.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your point is that a seventy-two year old woman with mental problems is capable of abducting and holding a teenager out of sight for an extended period of time? Correct?

I think the earlier discussed possibility of her becoming homeless and disappearing from sight is far more likely.
No, that isn't correct, and I'm not sure how you got there. This is what I said:

Quote:
Just in case you don't know, she wasn't the primary player in ES's abduction. She didn't enter the home and take the girl away at knifepoint. Her part in the whole thing didn't require any particular physical strength. Again, even though it's probably unlikely that she'll pair up with another Mitchell and relive that same scenario, she's possibly nonetheless capable of criminal activity.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-19-2018 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events