Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:53 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Think of what what we do to trout. We catch 'em, string 'em together and let them suffocate in a bucket of water. If they're lucky enough to survive that, we saw their heads off while they gulp and flop around in fear and pain.

I may become a vegetarian after this.

But then I think about ripping the plant from the ground by its roots. Just because we don't hear them screaming does that mean they aren't?

Not everyone does trout like that. Once I'm sure I'm going to harvest it, I wack it over the head with a small mallet I carry. Very humane. no flopping around in a bucket. It takes about 30 seconds, I think it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 06:56 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,541,448 times
Quote:
Think of what what we do to trout. We catch 'em, string 'em together and let them suffocate in a bucket of water. If they're lucky enough to survive that, we saw their heads off while they gulp and flop around in fear and pain.

But then I think about ripping the plant from the ground by its roots. Just because we don't hear them screaming does that mean they aren't?
We put our walleye into a live well where they can swim all day in fresh aerated water. When we land on shore, hubby clubs them hard enough just behind the head to kill them with the first blow.

Anyone who guts a fish alive and gulping/flopping, is just plain cruel IMO. They might be fish, but they are living creatures.

I've seen some bastards filleting their fish alive. I peeked through the screen in a fish cleaning hut and saw what they were doing. I told them it was cruel and asked why don't they kill the fish first. They just laughed and said they don't feel the pain. OH yes they do. It made me sick.

Ditto for people who let their fish flop around on the ice after catching them, letting them die a slow death, rather than killing them immediately. Another unnecessary cruelty IMO.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Quote:
Should the same be done to clams before steaming them?

I think the clams will be fine put into boiling water. I'm not sure about steaming. I'm pretty sure they don't have Cannabinoid receptors, so they wouldn't feel any effects from pot. Might make them taste better though!

Old 09-20-2018, 05:10 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:

Oh My God! I may never eat a living thing ever again. Years ago I bough fresh mussels for my tomato sauce. I noticed on the bag it said "LIVE". When I realized they were alive and were going to be put into a steaming pot of tomato sauce I wanted to drive them to the nearest ocean (about 45 minutes away). My husband was hysterical. They eventually went into the pot with me feeling horrible.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I doubt being stoned would make being thrown into boiling water, feel any better!
Ditto.

This is just to make headlines and try to drum up business.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
We put our walleye into a live well where they can swim all day in fresh aerated water. When we land on shore, hubby clubs them hard enough just behind the head to kill them with the first blow.

Anyone who guts a fish alive and gulping/flopping, is just plain cruel IMO. They might be fish, but they are living creatures.

I've seen some bastards filleting their fish alive. I peeked through the screen in a fish cleaning hut and saw what they were doing. I told them it was cruel and asked why don't they kill the fish first. They just laughed and said they don't feel the pain. OH yes they do. It made me sick.

Ditto for people who let their fish flop around on the ice after catching them, letting them die a slow death, rather than killing them immediately. Another unnecessary cruelty IMO.
That's what hubby and I do. We both remember our fathers beheading and filleting them alive when we were children. It was sickening. Our dads also told us it didn't hurt the fish, but their flopping and gulping told us otherwise.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:58 AM

652 posts, read 340,459 times
I already filled out an application to work at that restaurant. I requested to be assigned to ‘smoke preparation’ duty.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:08 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
That's what hubby and I do. We both remember our fathers beheading and filleting them alive when we were children. It was sickening. Our dads also told us it didn't hurt the fish, but their flopping and gulping told us otherwise.

My father told me the same thing but how does anybody really know other than the poor fish who can't tell us. If I had to kill my own food to survive I would be in big trouble. I might be able to eat a fish as long as it was caught & killed humanely.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:06 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,413,482 times
I will REFUSE a Lobster that has been using drugs before I eat it.

Not kidding ...

I love when I go to Maine, I choose the critter I want from the tank. Making sure it's alive and well, and watch it get that hot bath before I get it on me plate.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 AM

3,327 posts, read 2,136,040 times
While I'd never suggest that there shouldn't be any concern for the suffering of living organisms, I wonder how such a concern scales between what goes on in the wild versus prior to the arrival upon one's dinner plate. Is it horrific that bears, wolves, lions, and other mammalian predators catch and dine while the prey's nervous system is still firing? Or only when humans catch (or farm) and prepare a meal? And if it's the latter, what makes the act of acquiring sustenance more unpalatable (pun somewhat intended) when humans need to eat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events