Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 07:00 PM

50,441 posts, read 36,095,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I deactivated my account almost 2 months ago. I have zero regrets or worries.
I’ve never had a Facebook account, but it worries me regardless. It has farther reaching affects than simply identity theft, that’s the least of it as Zippyman’s post explained so well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 08:28 PM

16,388 posts, read 12,395,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
What's to say Facebook doesn't screw something up (either unintentionally or intentionally) and the privacy settings suddenly stop working the way they're supposed to? I agree it's good not to put anything personal on there, but there's no way I would put trust or confidence in them to maintain their so-called privacy settings.

That was my point. Even if the privacy settings suddenly stop working, there's nothing on my FB that would be of any interest to hackers.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:05 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,480,470 times
I don’t see the point other then using it for political purposes (voting tendencies,etc). People don’t buy and sell on Facebook.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,507,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Hasn’t it?

Have you bought a house recently?

Apparently, several someones have hacked into the email systems of closing agents & sent closing instructions from those email accounts directing funds be wired to the hackers bank account instead of the closing agents accounts. Thereby stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time.. and widespread enough that I was given a hard copy of the correct account numbers to use on my last purchase.

If you think about it, the information you are interrogated for when signing up for a Facebook account is pretty much exactly all the information needed to defeat the security questions everywhere else you go.

Name, birthday, mom’s maiden name, where did you go to school, what’s your pet’s name, who was your best friend in high school, what’s your favorite color, etc - those are all security questions.
I was referring to someone hacking into their bank acct and adding zeros to the balance, (making money just show up, NOT stealing it from somewhere else).

Old 10-01-2018, 08:42 AM

10,975 posts, read 7,059,193 times
People still use Facebook?

I guess they're addicted to that attention-craving / attention-rewarding, and vanity. How could they possibly live and exist if they couldn't go online and see their happy pictures and perfect life posted in full glory for all to see?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:00 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,507,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

I guess they're addicted to that attention-craving / attention-rewarding, and vanity. How could they possibly live and exist if they couldn't go online and see their happy pictures and perfect life posted in full glory for all to see?
I restrict my FB friends to ONLY people I have personally known, its really just a tool to keep up with old friends, co workers, etc. I have PLENTY of friends who post all day long, many post selfies thru out the day, driving home from work, they will post a selfie, eating out, post another selfie, etc etc. LOL

These people are the type that they require attention and encouragement on a constant basis, this one lady I know who is very attractive and nice body, she posts on average 4-5 selfies per day, the same umpteen guys always post the same comments like "WOW, HOT, looking good, "etc. of course, she 'likes' all of them.

I dont think they realize though, doing this makes it very obvious that they are so needy.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:20 AM

8,842 posts, read 4,510,325 times
Quote:

Same can be said of "some" poster here on C-D, sans pictures. Have you looked in a mirror lately?

Old 10-01-2018, 09:21 AM

34,173 posts, read 18,471,987 times
Another reason to NEVER have a FB account.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:46 PM

10,975 posts, read 7,059,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Same can be said of "some" poster here on C-D, sans pictures. Have you looked in a mirror lately?
Thankfully, CD doesn't feature personal pictures. And actual names are discouraged. I'd probably ditch it and go elsewhere if it did. I like that it's not based on pictures and appearances. Even gender isn't obvious many times.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:12 PM

16,829 posts, read 15,126,527 times
Quote:

It's a good platform to keep in touch with family members and friends. The majority of my family lives in a different country.

I'm not sure how sharing pictures with my mom, my brothers, my sister, cousins, and using messenger features makes me "addicted to attention-craving / attention-rewarding."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events