Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 07:34 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's why it sickens me to read posts from people who say they think it's "funny". This man has brain damage (from birth) and schizophrenia. If he weren't a homeless person sitting there, would they still think it was funny? Homeless people are often targets for crimes such as this.

So where's this dude's family? Where's his social care worker? If it's known he's sick, since birth, where's his care? He had a phone...why wasn't he calling someone to pick him up? This isn't a surprise incident, and sounds like it's repeated often. Nobody's standing up for this guy now. But can you really expect two morons working in a donut shop to solve what families and doctors couldn't?

Some people are homeless because they choose that lifestyle. I recall one who passed when I was a kid with $21K in his pocket and he was across the street from a hotel. Some are the scary petty thieves you can't have seeing your place as a potential target. Some are just horrible people who everyone else has written off....think the guy from Shameless.

Then you've got mental cases...some of which were tossed out unfairly and are truly very sad cases. But if that is the case here, he's priority 1 for all of the programs. You have to stop and think...why is he out unsupervised for months anyway?

Some with mental needs won't take their meds, or stop abusing drugs until the point that...their caretaker just couldn't deal with it anymore. Diagnosis is not a carte blanche on bad behavior. It can't be. It's understood, but that's what needs to be worked on. They need care but they also need to learn how to act as well. This person has 20 years of learning in...if they haven't figured out you don't go turning donut shops into hostels then the shop owner has no choice but to regard them as potentially dangerous unpredictable people and that there is a responsibility to protect customers from.

Even though I don't agree with what these two did, one needs to look further. The cause of the water dumping was not because the person had a disorder. The cause was not because the person was homeless. The cause was because there was a person sleeping that wouldn't leave after being instructed to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, if kids are hanging out constantly in my yard I would call the parents and say come pick them up. If that doesn't work, then I'd call CPS or police. There are avenues to take that don't involve assaulting people.

There you go again...

Dig deep and make Step 1 telling the kids to leave. Those elementary brats can be scary but it's amazing what happens most of the time. Don't let them intimidate you. You can do it!

Old 10-04-2018, 08:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
So where's this dude's family? Where's his social care worker? If it's known he's sick, since birth, where's his care? He had a phone...why wasn't he calling someone to pick him up?
If you google his name you can find exactly why he's homeless.

Quote:
Even though I don't agree with what these two did, one needs to look further. The cause of the water dumping was not because the person had a disorder. The cause was not because the person was homeless. The cause was because there was a person sleeping that wouldn't leave after being instructed to go.
Is that how most businesses deal with homeless people? Dump water on them? Is that your own conflict resolution technique?

Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh, dear Lord. A criminal assault? Are you serious? It's water!

The guy sleeps all day at a coffee shop. He isn't wanted. He's been asked to stop sleeping there. He refuses. So big deal, they dumped a pitcher of water on his head. Go sleep somewhere else.

I suspect the color of the employees has everything to do with people's feigned outrage.
Yes, it is a criminal assault, and that is backed up by laws everywhere. DD FIRED HIM, to protect themselves from law suites if they kept him which would say they condoned and encouraged such actions.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Imagine if the roles were reversed, there would be even more national outrage and sensationalism.
You mean if a homeless person dumped water on an employee? I don't think that would cause more of an outrage. Or are you trying to make this a race thing? Either way, I'd say you're stretching for your personal agenda here... and probably wrong in both cases.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:36 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
I work at a public library, where people often fall asleep and/or loiter ALL DAY. If I decided to pour water on a patron's head because they wouldn't wake up or leave, I would be fired so fast my head would spin.

If they're sleeping, we use non-physical actions (like dropping a book on the table near them) to wake them; if they don't wake up after repeated attempts, we call 9-1-1 in case it's a medical emergency. And if we've told them to leave but they refuse, we call the non-emergency police number to have them removed. We don't dump water on their head, or even touch them. That would be considered assault, and open us up to potential litigation. Try again!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:47 PM

17,195 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I work at a public library, where people often fall asleep and/or loiter ALL DAY. If I decided to pour water on a patron's head because they wouldn't wake up or leave, I would be fired so fast my head would spin.

If they're sleeping, we use non-physical actions (like dropping a book on the table near them) to wake them; if they don't wake up after repeated attempts, we call 9-1-1 in case it's a medical emergency. And if we've told them to leave but they refuse, we call the non-emergency police number to have them removed. We don't dump water on their head, or even touch them. That would be considered assault, and open us up to potential litigation. Try again!
Two things severely wrong here here:

1 - A library is a PUBLIC place. DD is not. It's private property. Two VERY different types of establishments.

2 - What happens if you drop a book, startle the person and they get a heart attack? Most homeless people are not healthy, and sudden fear can cause a myriad of issues leading to death. You making loud noises to startle people into waking up is FAR MORE dangerous than dumping water on them. Heart attacks, seizures, etc.

Try again.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:26 AM

You guys are too precious.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/t...l-2825049.html
Basically, you may get the assault, but without damages you've got nothing. Judge is going to love that time well spent.

In the meantime, see the shocking truth about unwanted water tossing. But please, viewer discretion is advised. There are plainly two people that really don't want to get hit with water....getting hit with water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2EfnJAr1E

Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Yes, it is a criminal assault, and that is backed up by laws everywhere. DD FIRED HIM, to protect themselves from law suites if they kept him which would say they condoned and encouraged such actions.

Law suites? Are those Luxury Suites?

DD fired him because HE DUMPED WATER ON SOMEONE. "Don't dump water on anyone's head" isn't exactly in the training or policy manuals.. Nor does it need to be. You do that, you're getting fired. ESPECIALLY if it goes viral.

You don't have to search for hidden reasons behind his firing. It's pretty much right out there. You work at Burger King and stand in the lettuce, you're getting fired. You work at Taco Bell and lick the taco shells, you're getting fired.

The one good thing about millennials.. They're making detective jobs so much easier because they record their crimes and post them to social media.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:47 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Basically, you may get the assault, but without damages you've got nothing. Judge is going to love that time well spent.
You don't need to prove damages when assault is a criminal charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events