U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:14 AM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
If my kids go ripping across your yard and start hanging out there, you tell them to leave, and they don't...screw the pitcher...go get the hose and give em a good soaking. I guarantee they'll remember not to play in your yard again. My kids aren't made of sugar. They're not going to melt. You were teaching them they need to respect people's property. I'd probably thank you and get a good chuckle to boot out of it.

On the other hand, if you bear false witness against me or one of my kids and get them charged with assault...and they didn't assault you...they just got you wet. I admit I'd be upset. I'd have to determine what is the more ethical way to proceed. If I were to forgive and forget, you might do it to someone else. If I endeavored to make your statement true, you might come to understand the difference.
And you are wrong, as it is assault to turn a hose on children. It is even a more serious offense if you an adult turn a hose on children than if they were adults. Could be a good size fine, for assault on a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 03:56 AM

2,627 posts, read 2,188,076 times
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3219414/

Donít have time to paraphrase this article; there is lots of info here.

I donít know- havenít you guys ever had an increased heart rate or feeling of panic, rise in blood pressure after hearing a loud noise? I have. Enough to be worried Inwas about to have a stroke.

Old 10-07-2018, 02:12 PM

3,609 posts, read 1,625,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And you are wrong, as it is assault to turn a hose on children. It is even a more serious offense if you an adult turn a hose on children than if they were adults. Could be a good size fine, for assault on a child.
Perhaps.

If you go hunting bears, make sure you kill them with the first shot, as you won't have another chance.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:13 PM

5,432 posts, read 2,758,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Great post! Maybe it will connect with those who don't see that man as being an unwelcome intruder.

It wouldn't be acceptable for a homeless man to enter a family campground, find an empty site and sleep at the picnic table every day.

Or how about the local church. Go in and sleep during Sunday service because some of the pews are empty.

Or what about your backyard if you're not using it? What harm would it do to let the homeless sleep on a lounge chair you're not using?

Or better yet, let him sleep in your spare room in your guest bed. If you don't have a spare room, let him sleep on your living room sofa. Or maybe let him sleep in YOUR bed when your not using it.
Or how about someone who goes into a restaurant, sits at a table for two, and then reads a book for an hour after ordering coffee. Would you advocate a server pour water over their head to make them leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
They poured water on a bum that keeps coming in and trying to sleep in a booth resulting in customers leaving or complaining. No big deal, who really cares?
What snowflake would complain about a person in the next booth sleeping? Who cares if the guy in the next booth is sitting there with his eyes opened or closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
If my kids go ripping across your yard and start hanging out there, you tell them to leave, and they don't...screw the pitcher...go get the hose and give em a good soaking. I guarantee they'll remember not to play in your yard again. My kids aren't made of sugar. They're not going to melt. You were teaching them they need to respect people's property. I'd probably thank you and get a good chuckle to boot out of it.

On the other hand, if you bear false witness against me or one of my kids and get them charged with assault...and they didn't assault you...they just got you wet. I admit I'd be upset. I'd have to determine what is the more ethical way to proceed. If I were to forgive and forget, you might do it to someone else. If I endeavored to make your statement true, you might come to understand the difference.
I'd be more apt to all the police if talking to you didn't work the first time. But how do you feel about bear mace and tasers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You mean if a homeless person dumped water on an employee? I don't think that would cause more of an outrage. Or are you trying to make this a race thing? Either way, I'd say you're stretching for your personal agenda here... and probably wrong in both cases.
Actually, there are a lot of customers who assault employees, but because their boss won't let them, they can't file charges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You don't need to prove damages when assault is a criminal charge.
Exactly. If you touch someone who doesn't want you to touch him, unless you're a security guard or a cop, you can be arrested for assault. Which is why when stores have problems with shoppers, they call security or the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I can't speak for the person you're quoting. But.. While I totally agree that what the employee did was wrong. Raising it to a criminal level is silly. What's next? a 6 year old with a water pistol gets sued for damages for squirting the next door neighbor? After all, that meets the definition you've given.
Assault is assault is assault. A child who squirts some adult with a water pistol is the same as a child who throws rocks at an adult. I wouldn't get that worked up about a water pistol myself, but I'd sure be having a fairly strong word with the parents of a child that threw rocks.

The thing is, any child that feels the need to "get back" at someone with whatever is at hand has a problem of some sort. At what point do you intervene? When the kid decides to put bleach in his water pistol and shoot that? At that point I'd say it was too late.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:53 AM

8,976 posts, read 8,099,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It makes far more sense just to give some pesky trespassing kids, a spray with the hose.

All this police state stuff, is over the top.
And after the parents call the police and you have to explain your actions to the judge, you will have a different attitude.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:36 AM

15,870 posts, read 6,242,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
This, some of these posters probably haven't been to San Francisco Bay Area lately. While it's not really a nice way to handle it, homeless people loitering around ruins business. Many of these homeless people do not smell good, and those with mental issues can be dangerous (punching random people, screaming curse words on the street, etc).
This is what happens when the government won't enforce law and public order. Is anyone surprised when a business faces conditions that are illegal but the government is too "progressive" to provide them protection?

Old 10-18-2018, 03:35 PM

757 posts, read 510,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
By dumping water on the man, these employees committed a criminal assault.

I can only hope they are prosecuted for it.

I don't want them suffering draconian punishment for dumping water on someone, but there should be some criminal sanction in a case like this. Perhaps, a fine equal to a month of their salary at Dunkin Donuts.
Would've been nice if the guy urinated in a cup and came back and threw it in the water dumpers face. That's a vodeo I'd pay $5 to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or