U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 18 days ago)

9,683 posts, read 3,694,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Maybe Dunkin needs to have a lesson from Starbucks that now lets people hang out and use the bathroom all day long without even buying anything.
Starbuck's has always let people come in and hang around, use their bathroom, wi-fi, etc. It's not a problem for them or anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Where was the manager while this was going on? Had he previously established a policy for dealing with homeless squatters? Did he provide adequate supervision for his staff? If I were DD corporate, I'd be asking the manager some hard questions.
The manager shouldn't have to watch his staff carefully to make sure they don't throw water on customers.

It's called being a decent human being. You don't throw water on someone.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,092,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Where was the manager while this was going on? Had he previously established a policy for dealing with homeless squatters? Did he provide adequate supervision for his staff? If I were DD corporate, I'd be asking the manager some hard questions.

I highly doubt that a manager at DD makes that much money. So think about this if you were corporate.

Does the manager does an overall good job?
Is business doing well under this manager?

You could sit there & get rid of the manager when it might not be anything he could do about it anyway then you're out of a good manager.

Don't get me wrong there are jobs out there that a manager/president/CEO should have to take responsibility regardless on whether they are at work or not. But this type of job is not one of them.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:44 PM

1,731 posts, read 880,190 times
i keep typing out a response but i just can't think of the right thing to say. those guys are disgusting and deserved to be fired, the guy who poured the water and the person/people who were laughing. if they find that they will now have a hard time finding someone to hire them, they better hope that they don't end up homeless. sometimes i really hate people...

Old 10-02-2018, 05:26 PM

3,625 posts, read 1,638,039 times
A long time ago I was a bouncer in a bar. If you needed to go home, we'd grab you and toss you out. We'd tell you to go home. Then we'd get another as witness to tell the drunk to leave. If the drunk still didn't get it....well, we'd call the police and tell them a final time that the police had been called, and if they had any sense, they'd leave. The vast majority did. A few waited around until they saw the police and jetted. A few emboldened souls saw the last minute light when the officer would ask, "Did these men tell you to leave?" Anything other than yes, I'm leaving right now, meant it was lesson time. They'd grab the dude (never saw it on a lady) and pull them down the alley and whack them with their nightsticks a couple of times.

No arrest. No paperwork. Then they'd be gone again.

We didn't get repeat offenders. We had a very lively peaceful string of bars.

There were rules. If another bouncer saw someone calling early prior to repeatedly telling someone to go, they wouldn't be a bouncer anymore. I remember at the time thinking this actually worked pretty well.

So, forgive me when I say a little water after someone's been told to leave multiple time is no big deal for me. The big deal for me though is the attitude of bragging it up and the stupidity to film it. These are the unpleasant things that must be done to correct a behavior, not a chance to show one's power over another.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 PM

2,270 posts, read 883,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Maybe Dunkin needs to have a lesson from Starbucks that now lets people hang out and use the bathroom all day long without even buying anything.
So... upon reading this story, your first instinct was to run interference on behalf of the people abusing the homeless man, huh?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:37 PM

82 posts, read 8,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX
I can't believe anyone would defend this behavior. How is pouring water on a stranger okay?.
Especially someone who is HOMELESS ..... The guy should be given food and they should try to help him find shelter....

This country is horrible now........

Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,525,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimde View Post
Especially someone who is HOMELESS ..... The guy should be given food and they should try to help him find shelter....

This country is horrible now........
He should be taken, and temporarily confined to a place were he can't get out, and liquor and drugs can't get in.

He should then be confronted with a productive role he's expected to assume (It doesn't have to be too demanding at this phase).

If he refuses, he eats, but not very well; If he responds positively, he eats better, and hopefully, the path upward from that point is clear.

That is the law of the street, and of the marketplace; those who fail to recognize it are penalizing not only themselves, but all of those of us who try to respect the rules of all civilization. The less that law is respected and enforced, the more the "cycle of stupidity" will intensify.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:04 PM

8,475 posts, read 5,838,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
^^ I can see your point about this being a public establishment, but judging by the video the place was empty and he was not a threat to anyone. IMO, a little bit of kindness and compassion while politely asking him to leave would not have been misplaced.
Which prompts the question of "why was the store empty?". The case could be made that it was because he was there in the first place, and running off customers. And whether he was a 'threat' to anyone isn't the point. It has to do with appearances and public perception that a business owner has to maintain to keep customers coming into his store. Everyone who works there depends on that for their livelihood. It's not a matter of the store owner's views on homeless people, it has to do with the volume of patron traffic for his business. Like it or not the public at large will likely avoid a business that doesn't maintain a certain 'standard'.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
A long time ago I was a bouncer in a bar. If you needed to go home, we'd grab you and toss you out. We'd tell you to go home. Then we'd get another as witness to tell the drunk to leave. If the drunk still didn't get it....well, we'd call the police and tell them a final time that the police had been called, and if they had any sense, they'd leave. The vast majority did. A few waited around until they saw the police and jetted. A few emboldened souls saw the last minute light when the officer would ask, "Did these men tell you to leave?" Anything other than yes, I'm leaving right now, meant it was lesson time. They'd grab the dude (never saw it on a lady) and pull them down the alley and whack them with their nightsticks a couple of times.
This was Dunkin Donuts, not a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or