Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 11:02 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh, dear Lord. A criminal assault? Are you serious? It's water!

The guy sleeps all day at a coffee shop. He isn't wanted. He's been asked to stop sleeping there. He refuses. So big deal, they dumped a pitcher of water on his head. Go sleep somewhere else.

I suspect the color of the employees has everything to do with people's feigned outrage.
Yes, it meets the definition of that under criminal statutes.

Had he even been asked to leave?

Why not wake the guy up with your hands?

Why not call the police?

They had alternatives.

No, its much easier (and more fun) to dump water on him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I can't really see an issue here- this is a no fuss way of helping keep restaurants, as pleasant places to be.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
I can't believe anyone would defend this behavior. How is pouring water on a stranger okay? How about some common decency and respect for others? How about gently waking the guy and telling him they are closing and he needs to leave (if that's why the wanted him to leave)? Maybe even give him a leftover donut or 2 and cup of coffee? It's shameful that people feel it's okay to treat others this way.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I can't believe anyone would defend this behavior. How is pouring water on a stranger okay? How about some common decency and respect for others? How about gently waking the guy and telling him they are closing and he needs to leave (if that's why the wanted him to leave)? Maybe even give him a leftover donut or 2 and cup of coffee? It's shameful that people feel it's okay to treat others this way.
Because most people would think that tolerating (or even rewarding) that behavior would only invite more of the same, and in many cases they would be right. I am in no way defending what these two idiots did to that homeless man, and there were certainly more civilized ways to deal with him. But it was a place of business that caters to the public, and they have every right, if not a responsibility, to maintain an welcoming atmosphere for their customers. I'm sorry the homeless man is in the position he's in, but sleeping inside a public business is not the right thing for him to do.
DD did the right thing firing those employees. You can't work serving the public if you don't have basic respect for everyone you encounter. These two will either learn that lesson, or find another line of work.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
^^ I can see your point about this being a public establishment, but judging by the video the place was empty and he was not a threat to anyone. IMO, a little bit of kindness and compassion while politely asking him to leave would not have been misplaced.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:54 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes, it meets the definition of that under criminal statutes.

Had he even been asked to leave?

Why not wake the guy up with your hands?

Why not call the police?

They had alternatives.

No, its much easier (and more fun) to dump water on him.

A kid shooting someone with a water pistol probably meets the definition under criminal statutes, but.. These were a couple of stupid kids. At the end of the day, noone was seriously harmed. We don't need BS like this in our court system.

Yes, he had been asked to leave (and not come back) repeatedly

In a way.. Don't police have better and more important things to do?

Absolutely they had alternatives. This was not the right thing to do, but.. Prosecution is waaay overboard. Of either the employees or going so far as getting the police involved to 'trespass' the homeless man. Though the latter.. Since this was multiple times, perhaps it had reached that level.

It would have been more proper to go wake the guy up and tell him it's time to go. Not defending what the kids did, it wasn't right, but raising it to a criminal level is silly. the last I heard, they had been suspended. If they have, indeed, now been fired.. Acceptable.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What a disgusting video. I hope neither one of those kids ever again gets a customer service type job.
What functional, reasonably-educated, self-respecting adult would want a "customer service type job"???

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-02-2018 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 01:51 PM
KCZ

4,662 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Where was the manager while this was going on? Had he previously established a policy for dealing with homeless squatters? Did he provide adequate supervision for his staff? If I were DD corporate, I'd be asking the manager some hard questions.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:00 PM

17,117 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Where was the manager while this was going on? Had he previously established a policy for dealing with homeless squatters? Did he provide adequate supervision for his staff? If I were DD corporate, I'd be asking the manager some hard questions.
Looked to me like the dude with the water might have been the manager.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:13 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Looked to me like the dude with the water might have been the manager.
Now that he's out of a job will he some day be homeless? Wonder how he would feel then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events