Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM

50,422 posts, read 36,064,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I had problems stopping that video and magnifying the steep grade signs. Sometimes they will tell truckers the grade of the hill they are about to descend. In this case, since truckers were not allowed on the hill, I think they did not post the grade. But I could be wrong. The states do not like to go over about a 5% grade; although I have seen steeper grades. My driveway is 18% and the people that paved it will not pave over 20%. Of course the length of the hill also plays an important part. The longer the hill; the hotter the brakes.
Someone posted earlier that the hill is a mile long, with a very increased slope in the last section ending at the stop sign. Trucks were banned after several lost their brakes and couldn’t stop. The poster speculated the driver may have had to ride the brakes the entire mile and then when the grade increased at the end they were already too overheated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,917,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Can someone explain why this incident was considered so news worthy that it was covered for days and days? I don't get it. Twenty people are killed in crashes every day.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/n...imo-crash.html

Quote:
The death toll from Saturday’s accident made it the worst transportation-related accident in the country in nine years, dating to a 2009 plane crash outside Buffalo that killed 50 people.
Can you explain to us all your deliberate obtuseness?

Old 10-11-2018, 12:18 PM

15,283 posts, read 8,894,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Can someone explain why this incident was considered so news worthy that it was covered for days and days? I don't get it. Twenty people are killed in crashes every day.
Probably because you are still interested enough to be reading about it.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 PM

5,345 posts, read 3,850,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
152,000 is probably his number since 151,600 people die each day on average in the world.
lol

Old 10-11-2018, 12:37 PM

18,756 posts, read 18,035,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Someone posted earlier that the hill is a mile long, with a very increased slope in the last section ending at the stop sign. Trucks were banned after several lost their brakes and couldn’t stop. The poster speculated the driver may have had to ride the brakes the entire mile and then when the grade increased at the end they were already too overheated.
One of the occupants complained about the sound of the motor. My thinking is that the driver knew his brakes were failing and tried to use the engine to slow down by downshifting. Of course that transmission was an automatic and designed for a lighter vehicle (the original SUV before they stretched it). The motor or transmission of both were probably screaming because they were never designed to hold back the kind of weight that vehicle was carrying. There is a chance that the transmission totally failed by the time they were at the bottom; but that information should come out in the investigation. I could be totally wrong?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thank you. That's the video I saw before. There are, I think, 3 signs saying no trucks. No caution signs - even on the curves, the speed limit only drops from 55 to 50. The guy wasn't driving a truck, so why would the no trucks sign influence him?

From the video, it doesn't look like a very steep hill to me. Since it's such a dangerous intersection, I'd expect the speed limit to be much lower when approaching it, but the speed limit never drops below 50.
Yeah, I think the speed limit was part of the problem. We have a lot of highway intersections exactly like that one here in Oregon. Typically here when approaching an intersection like that, the first indication is a 45 mph Zone Ahead sign. Next is the 45 mph Speed Limit sign. Then a 35 mph Speed Limit sign, then a Stop Ahead warning sign, then the Stop sign, plus a lot of flashing red or yellow lights. It's pretty hard to miss all those signs and flashing lights.

I don't know how common that is in NY, but how they expect somebody to come to a complete sudden stop from 55 mph I have no idea. It looks to me like they probably didn't even change the signs after they reconfigured that intersection. I have never seen a highway warning sign that the speed will reduce to 50 mph after a Stop sign. That seems pointless. The emphasis should be on the Stop Ahead. Then they can put a speed limit sign after that, to let drivers know what speed they can resume.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 PM

5,262 posts, read 6,000,434 times
All of the discussion about speed limit might be somewhat moot if the vehicle was unable to stop. I wouldn't be surprised after the investigation if the speed limit on that stretch is lowered 10mph though.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Another poster said the weight limit on that road was dropped to five tons. He was over five tons.
No way. Closer to four tons. It was originally a two ton vehicle. The stretch would double the weight. Even with the passenger's weight, it would have still been well under five tons.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No way. Closer to four tons. It was originally a two ton vehicle. The stretch would double the weight. Even with the passenger's weight, it would have still been well under five tons.
20 adults x 150 pounds each = 3000 pounds, 1-1/2 tons. Conservatively calculated. Leaving 3-1/2 tons for the vehicle, which left the factory at "6650 to 7190 pounds" - or 3.25 to 3.6 tons. Meaning 5 tons without the stretch modifications.

Correction: subtract 2x150. Only 18 were in the vehicle. 300 pounds doesn't change much, anyway.

Addendum: Factory payload is 1700-1900 pounds, meaning the original structure was nearly 100% overloaded by just the passsenger weight.

Pretty meaningless calculation and limit, though. Roads don't collapse because (modestly) overweight vehicles drive on them. Weight limits are for bridges and long-term durability.

But still - probably six to eight tons on a consumer-grade truck chassis, which may have been properly strengthened in some areas but almost certainly did not replace all suspension, brakes, driveline etc. to cope with that mass.

Last edited by Quietude; 10-11-2018 at 01:56 PM..

Old 10-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
All of the discussion about speed limit might be somewhat moot if the vehicle was unable to stop. I wouldn't be surprised after the investigation if the speed limit on that stretch is lowered 10mph though.
The speed limit is important. That is why they have low speed limits for trucks on downgrades. It's entirely possible that he could have stopped if the speed limit was lower and he was following it. And I agree, I would bet money that they will lower the speed limit, at least for the approach to the stop sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events