Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:33 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That makes me sick to just think about that! Hopefully people do not forget what those insurance companies tried to do.

Insurance is a total scam anyway, they expect people to just give them money but never need anything in return, what kind of business model is that?!!!
Many people in hurricane prone areas buy storm insurance but not flood insurance. I think that’s why large areas along the Gulf hit by Katrina have yet to be rebuilt. We almost built a house near the beach in Waveland MS before Katrina and realtors were poo-poohing the need to buy flood insurance and said “nobody” bought it. And it was expensive, no doubt. But I knew better, having been flooded with a previous house.

In any event the owner of the lot had trouble clearing the title and we backed out. Had we built the house it would’ve been finished just in time to end up washed up against the railroad track embankment along with the rest of the neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Mexico Beach looks a bit like Ortley Beach, NJ after Sandy. Houses just wiped out with only wood left on the sand. The wind appears to have done it in FL, while the ocean did it here. Ortley had no dunes.

The destruction is unbelievable, I cannot imagine the force of the winds.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
If you stay put in an underground bunker or like a tornado shelter underground, what happens if a car or something heavy lands on your escape door, how do you get out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'd be more concerned about water getting in.

An underground bunker would the absolute worst place to be in a hurricane. The storm surge would wash over it, and in comes the water (those things aren't air tight, as far as I know), and everyone inside will drown.

In a tornado, on the other hand, an underground bunker is your best bet. If a car happens to land on your escape door, I suppose you could try using your phone and calling for help, once the storm has passed. But you'd be stuck there until someone came and hauled the obstruction away. It would be inconvenient, sure, but certainly better than YOU being hauled away in an ambulance, or worse, a hearse.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:59 AM

19,802 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Wikipedia is reporting 24 fatalities, but the largest being reported by the MSM is 13 (some are still saying "just" eight).

Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
OMG. I can't even imagine! I need a xanax just to watch that. Glad to see some of the updates ... I was worried for those guys!

That is terrifying. Any idiot who thinks about riding out a hurricane should be forced to watch that.

There's only one place to be safe in a hurricane: 300 miles from landfall in a Hampton Inn.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
An underground bunker would the absolute worst place to be in a hurricane. The storm surge would wash over it, and in comes the water (those things aren't air tight, as far as I know), and everyone inside will drown.

This. People who don't know better equate hurricanes with tornados. But a hurricane is like a ten-hour long tornado with twenty inches of rain, and a tsunami thrown in for good measure.

If a significant hurricane is heading your way and you're close to the coast, you simply put your valuables, your pets, and your important documents in a car and drive away.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:56 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
My DH, who retired from Emergency Management, told me the most difficult thing about recovery from the early stages is the painstaking work of removing debris with the recognition that there may be people under it. So you can't go in with bulldozers or other heavy equipment which would speed the job up. And yet time is of the essence.

This puts a great deal of pressure on the people who are present to help. Every good city management has counselors available after the fact to help the work crew deal with post traumatic stress.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:52 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
This link is absolutely heartbreaking: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/12/us/be...rnd/index.html

Each photo shows the "before" aerial on the left and the "after" aerial for the exact same spot on the right, and you can move the center slider back and forth.

It honestly looks like a warzone. Like bombs were dropped and decimated the whole town.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,492,988 times
Mexico Beach looks horrible, they seemed to have a lot of older wooden structures. Very sad, I do hope the missing people are found alive and well.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It's really bad there. I can only wonder how many people will be killed.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...m/#more-155199
If I live to be 100 years old, I will never, ever understand why people who are under a mandatory evacuation refuse to leave. Complacency gets you killed, and I have no doubt there will be significant numbers of deaths attributed to people refusing to leave. It’s also incredibly selfish to stay behind and then expect someone to risk their own life to rescue you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events