Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:58 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The thread is about armed forces recruits who are often 18 years old. Yes, many adults are fat, but they weren't when they were 18.
Yes, I have trouble believing that there are so many teens who are even significantly obese. I don't see this on college campuses, or around town at all, either.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:00 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, I have trouble believing that there are so many teens who are even significantly obese.
Have you been in any high schools lately? I'm not saying they are all obese, but a higher percentage are today than in the past, just like the adult population. The standard FAA adult is 170 lbs. Do you think that works today?

Old 10-14-2018, 10:11 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
100% agree. Sports team type games not only keeps uncoordinated kids uncoordinated, it makes them feel like crap when they are always picked last for a team. I was one of those kids and not only did I never get fit, but the rejection wasn't fun either. It made me avoid physical activity like the plague. Only after I grew up did I develop an enjoyment of individual sport, where I naturally suck, but still improve, and no one makes fun of me.
That would be me. I did run track in high school, but I ran long distance. Nobody cared about long distance.
Running long distance meant that we finished at the very end of the meets...after everyone had left. Long distance is also a solitary event.

When my knees began to show wear, I went to bicycling, also a solitary event (I shunned pelotons).

Old 10-14-2018, 10:14 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Yes, I have trouble believing that there are so many teens who are even significantly obese. I don't see this on college campuses, or around town at all, either.
I see it all over.

Most disturbing, I see it in pre-teens. Remember that pre-teens should be as spindly as fishing poles.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:42 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
I don't see much of it around town here or on college campuses, but go into certain (well, I don't want to say "Walmart" but...) places and there it is. I see entire overweight families and feel sorry for those little kids waddling along with their puffy faces and swollen-looking bodies. Those kids will grow up to be the overweight military rejects.

I read once that if you are fat as a kid, it's hard to ever lose the weight. It was something about more fat cells to begin with. Not sure if this is true, maybe someone will know.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
I have cleaned up my act so much, and a can of soda has changed so much, that I cant drink one now. They taste like a can of chemicals to me, and I cant believe it wasn't that long ago that I thought they tasted good.

It just goes to show how much consumers do not exercise their power. Once society rejects fast food and unhealthy ingredients, then the marketplace will only be able to offer easily digested healthy alternatives. Then society will get healthy again.

Digestability is at the base of metabolism and weight loss or gain. Getting back to pure food and healthy spices will see those pounds dropping...naturally.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:08 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I have cleaned up my act so much, and a can of soda has changed so much, that I cant drink one now. They taste like a can of chemicals to me, and I cant believe it wasn't that long ago that I thought they tasted good.

It just goes to show how much consumers do not exercise their power. Once society rejects fast food and unhealthy ingredients, then the marketplace will only be able to offer easily digested healthy alternatives. Then society will get healthy again.

Digestability is at the base of metabolism and weight loss or gain. Getting back to pure food and healthy spices will see those pounds dropping...naturally.

Unfortunately, with the fat acceptance movement, I don't see that happening any time soon. Heck, Vogue just put a 250lb + model on their cover. In a bathing suit!

Every time one of these articles is posted on Yahoo, many of the comments are saying the obese person in the story photo is "normal." Yeah they are normal in our society today, but they are NOT normal weight. They are obese. But more and more people aren't understanding the distinction. They prefer to think that normal is good, and if they look like the people around them then they are doing fine.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post

I think soda is one of the main problems causing this today, there is SO much sugar in a 12 oz can of regular soda, its equal to eating about 14 cookies!

Coke and Pepsi deliver to our stores every day though, so even though many families have stopped drinking this stuff, they are selling more than ever right now.

One odd thing I have noticed over the years, back in the mid to late 90s, a large soda at most places was a 32 oz size...today a large is 44oz, 52oz, even 64 oz in some places!! Fountain sodas are very popular at all our gas stations, and they are all the same price, so most people go for the largest (64oz), the smallest size we sell is 24oz, but rarely does anyone buy a fountain drink of that size...

If this trend continues, in another 10 or so years, we will see 96oz or even larger fountain cups!

Old 10-14-2018, 12:25 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,079,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think soda is one of the main problems causing this today, there is SO much sugar in a 12 oz can of regular soda, its equal to eating about 14 cookies!

Coke and Pepsi deliver to our stores every day though, so even though many families have stopped drinking this stuff, they are selling more than ever right now.

One odd thing I have noticed over the years, back in the mid to late 90s, a large soda at most places was a 32 oz size...today a large is 44oz, 52oz, even 64 oz in some places!! Fountain sodas are very popular at all our gas stations, and they are all the same price, so most people go for the largest (64oz), the smallest size we sell is 24oz, but rarely does anyone buy a fountain drink of that size...

If this trend continues, in another 10 or so years, we will see 96oz or even larger fountain cups!
Look at that can of Coke or Pepsi again. They don't contain as much sugar as you think. High fructose corn syrup, which our bodies have a hard time digesting, is cheaper than sugar. The drink tastes sweeter than sugar, especially when combined with aspartame - which isn't just for Diet Soda anymore - and makes it seem like they contain a lot sugar.

Marketing-wise, the companies that make these products know you have a sweet tooth, and so do your kids, and they want to take advantage of that. If they are ever successfully sued for giving little Johnny diabetes, you might see them go back to using just sugar.

Same with gum. You cant buy a mainstream pack of gum made with sugar anymore in the US.

Oddly, Mexico exports gums and sodas to the US which only contain sugar, lol.

Maybe these companies are their own worst enemies? I cant be the only one that thinks they taste downright bad these days.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Depends where. Go to the South (TN, AL, MS, Etc) and you will see masses have obese kids, teens, adults, everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events