Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 12:19 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sorry--but that is called "The Nanny State" by those who prefer to remain obese. Michelle tried--but the GOP headwinds against health and fitness proved to be very strong.
Right, the GOP is forcing people to be fat!!

Old 10-15-2018, 12:21 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I was merely opposed to another ineffective government program which obviously didn't accomplish much. Michelle's program had a number of years to do something, it would appear it was ineffective.
It is offensive and politically incorrect to say anything negative about the Obamas.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Amen. This whole idea about how PE classes are going to save kids from obesity is silly.
Right.
It is the food.
No amount of P.E. is going to save you from the food.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Its everywhere, especially around cities where fast/processed food joints are more plentiful, and access to activity more limited. Combine that with social lives that are spent sitting in a chair and focused on the internet and its a wonder everyone isn't obese.

On my block, kids rarely see daylight. They go from home to school and back home again. You never see them playing outside anymore. Its been at least 10 years since Ive seen anyone outside playing touch foot ball or stick ball in the street.
I hope their parents are giving them vitamin D supplements.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 PM

20,755 posts, read 19,947,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
A study released this week has found that nearly one-third of young Americans are now too overweight to join the military.

Have we forgotten, survival of the fittest? This is getting a little worrisome.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/too-fat-f...065831726.html
We do not need to go into a war - we are killing ourselves without outside influence and the enemy can lean back and watch with a big smile. I moved to VA near the Navy headquarters and expected lean, fit men and the gyms to be packed with them - what I witnessed was quite the opposite.

The government wants us fat and dumb so we do not question them. Otherwise education would be free and food would be healthy and accessible to everyone.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Well the PE classes at my kids' school involve running laps around a full sized track, push ups, sit ups, planks... definitely no standing around and eating.

OF course diet is important, but it's good that schools are starting to lay the groundwork for physical activity. People have been eating crap diets for years but they were also far more active.

As for mocking Obama's weight, she's 5'11" and 170. Her BMI is 23.7. A solid, larger boned woman. Not everyone is rail thin or wants to be. My daughter is going to probably be at least 6' and from toddlerhood she's been solid and muscular, whereas her sister is thin as a pole. I admire MO's guns/tris...pretty awesome for a woman her age. She was my inspiration for doing intense arm workouts, lol...

Old 10-15-2018, 02:24 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I hope their parents are giving them vitamin D supplements.
Actually rickets has come back for that very reason.

My grandmother back in the 50s knew to give us cod liver oil in the winter. That was a horrible experience, but she knew we needed the vitamin D.

A lot of mothers today don't realize that. Old school knowledge has been lost.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Sorry--but that is called "The Nanny State" by those who prefer to remain obese. Michelle tried--but the GOP headwinds against health and fitness proved to be very strong.
Well here is the thing. It wasn't the GOP that hated it but rather school children especially middle and high schoolers who have been use to full-sized McDonald's meals because they need to use more calories than in a Happy Meal. I bet many don't remember this viral spoof video of the Obama school lunch policy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IB7NDUSBOo

The irony is that was still in at about a third of the active teenager's caloric intake, albeit the low end. The biggest problem is that we don't portion right and instead normally want the super-sized meals and drink sodas.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Most schools still have vending machines right outside the gym door where the chubby uncoordinated kids can get a coke and candy bar to soothe their emotions after the humiliation of gym class.
I remember when the machine came in. I was in high school in the early ‘90s. We got one snack machine and one drink machine during my sophomore year in 1992-1993. We had a pizza line where you could buy one slice of pizza for $1.50 or the regular cafeteria line.

When I was substitute teaching and doing my teaching internship from 2001-2003, there were ice cream machines, candy bar machines, coke machines, the regular snack machine. Schools at the middle school and high school levels had “snack” lines where kids could get plates of chicken fingers and fries, huge frozen yogurts, or other items instead of a real lunch. Many new schools being built no longer had real kitchens and just had areas to warm up food. It is no wonder that kids are getting fatter.

People who complain about Michelle Obama and her school lunch program don’t realize how bad school lunches had gotten from what they use to be. Kids really do not need to be going to the frozen yogurt line, chicken finger line, or heading to the ice cream or candy bar machine during the school day.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
It is offensive and politically incorrect to say anything negative about the Obamas.
Yep, and never mind if it's true or not.

"If you like your healthcare plan ..... "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events