Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:48 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You can't just blame this on a moment of drunken inspiration, they planned vandalism. Why else would they happen to have a can of spraypaint with them?
^^^This. It's not like they were drunk and decided to take a fountain dip or climb on something. They got spraypaint.

Enjoy your stint in prison a-holes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
At the age of 23, these idiots shoulda known better. That's the problem with the younger generation. They are either too stupid or just don't care. 10 years in a prison over there should set them straight. If they survive of course.
Right. In the olden days - you know, 20 or more years ago - everyone was too smart to ever get caught vandalizing anything.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No sympathy. What did they think their painting meant anyway? The letter "B" could mean anything and what was the other thing the guy painted? A name?

I'm just glad they weren't Americans. We're not looking all that great to the rest of the world anyway these days.
"Scouser Lee" for him and letter B for her. "Scouser" is a nick name for someone from a particular city in England. Lee is his name. "B" is her first initial.

She has been in contact with her mother and is frightened beyond belief with her mother telling her over the phone "what were you thinking" and "you've done it, now face up to it and stay strong" or some such. Her mother is flying over there to attend the trial I guess but that could take months for it to happen.

If I were the Thais, I'd make them stew for a couple of months pre-trial in some really awful jail, subject them to public ridicule, force them to perform menial chores out on the open, then upon trial, fine them stiffly forcing their parents to pay it before letting them have one breath of free air. During the trial, if the judge believes they've already suffered more than soft westerners are known to tolerate, he might give them time served and that heavy fine hoping the lesson is there for all others so inclined to do stupid things is learned.

In any case the Thai gov. should drag this out to discourage tourist stupidity.

I cannot give either of them one scintilla of sympathy, getting drunk as an excuse doesn't cut it. 23 going on 7, the both of them.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:42 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,363,801 times
They will have ample opportunity to become bi-lingual. Maybe speaking Thai will benefit them in the long run.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:19 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A proper punishment is whatever the local authorities and courts decide it is. We may think it's excessive, or draconian, or downright evil; but what we think matters not one bit. Their house, their rules.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/u3...263aa36aaa5c70

Apparently, the one on the left is a girl. Personally, I'm not seeing it; but oh well. And the one on the right is wearing a shirt that would be considered offensive in pretty much every country on earth, much less in Thailand.

I'll bet they're regretting having crawled out of mommy's basement and gone on vacation to a faraway land that takes certain things a bit more seriously than they're used to.
At least they'll have 10 years in a safe space.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:12 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
I would support caning in this situation, put some scars in their backs to match their painting remnants.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...00px-Canes.jpg

Old 10-21-2018, 11:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
I hope they do the full ten year sentence. I do not feel sorry for them. I am tired of people from first world countries touring other places in the world and feeling entitled to do or act however they want, breaking any laws they wish to. Otto Warmbier is one example of the type of young man. They typically are white, male, college students or graduated from college, come from privileged backgrounds, and think they can get away with anything. Very often, they are fraternity boys. Screw 'em. They haven't been taught respect for anyone else. They most certainly don't respect people of other races, in other countries, because they haven't been taught this.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:54 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEN2RION View Post
Thailand might be the country of smiles but I would not attempt to break any laws in Thailand, some are so tough they can cause the guilty party never seeing the light of day again.

This is a country that reveres it's past, and honor their ancestors.
Having lived in Thailand, I have an idea that had some Thais done the exact same thing, it would have been seen as a minor issue. Slip some money under the table...that's what is really hoped for here.

Having said that, I have little sympathy for people who deface public or private property.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:04 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I would support caning in this situation, put some scars in their backs to match their painting remnants.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...00px-Canes.jpg
I'll say one thing, if it doesn't set either of them straight then I don't know what will. We were hit with a thinish radiator hose for being bad. It easily left you purple, red, black and blue and broke blood vessels. You got hit especially hard if you did something a sibling was already beaten for because you didn't learn a lesson seeing them get whacked. My dad was a Hungarian immigrant, I guess that's what they did over there.

I was reading wiki; he will probably get 24 whacks on a bare butt using what you posted. I'm not sure if she will get it too because it says they do it to males.

Here's a picture of the frame they get tied to if anyone is curious

Caning in Malaysia Judicial caning, ordered as part of a criminal sentence imposed by civil courts on male criminals, is the most severe of the three types of caning. It is always ordered in addition to a prison sentence for adult offenders. Male convicts who were not sentenced to caning earlier in a court of law may also be punished by caning if they commit aggravated offences while serving time in prison.

Exemptions

The following groups of people shall not be caned:[6]

Women[7]

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-21-2018 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-21-2018, 02:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
"Scouser Lee" for him and letter B for her. "Scouser" is a nick name for someone from a particular city in England. Lee is his name. "B" is her first initial.

She has been in contact with her mother and is frightened beyond belief with her mother telling her over the phone "what were you thinking" and "you've done it, now face up to it and stay strong" or some such. Her mother is flying over there to attend the trial I guess but that could take months for it to happen.

If I were the Thais, I'd make them stew for a couple of months pre-trial in some really awful jail, subject them to public ridicule, force them to perform menial chores out on the open, then upon trial, fine them stiffly forcing their parents to pay it before letting them have one breath of free air. During the trial, if the judge believes they've already suffered more than soft westerners are known to tolerate, he might give them time served and that heavy fine hoping the lesson is there for all others so inclined to do stupid things is learned.

In any case the Thai gov. should drag this out to discourage tourist stupidity.

I cannot give either of them one scintilla of sympathy, getting drunk as an excuse doesn't cut it. 23 going on 7, the both of them.
Yup. Old enough to know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events