Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 07:07 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
A proper punishment is whatever the local authorities and courts decide it is. We may think it's excessive, or draconian, or downright evil; but what we think matters not one bit. Their house, their rules.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/u3...263aa36aaa5c70

Apparently, the one on the left is a girl. Personally, I'm not seeing it; but oh well. And the one on the right is wearing a shirt that would be considered offensive in pretty much every country on earth, much less in Thailand.

I'll bet they're regretting having crawled out of mommy's basement and gone on vacation to a faraway land that takes certain things a bit more seriously than they're used to.
I can see your confusion about the gender of the one on the left, as for the kid’s shirt, yes it cr*p, but at least he can change it, what’s “she” gonna do about her arm?
No sympathy from me, before going to Thailand the first time, I read all that I could about it, and KNEW that showing any disrespect for their King was an absolute no-no.
Within half a day, I knew that they took their religion and temples seriously too, but there again, I can read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 04:07 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I hope they do the full ten year sentence. I do not feel sorry for them. I am tired of people from first world countries touring other places in the world and feeling entitled to do or act however they want, breaking any laws they wish to. Otto Warmbier is one example of the type of young man. They typically are white, male, college students or graduated from college, come from privileged backgrounds, and think they can get away with anything. Very often, they are fraternity boys. Screw 'em. They haven't been taught respect for anyone else. They most certainly don't respect people of other races, in other countries, because they haven't been taught this.

You believe North Korea's propaganda? Otto Warmbier didn't do anything wrong!

These two, on the other hand, are not victims of international terrorism and deserve to be punished. I wish we could beat people in the U.S. who commit vandalism.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:41 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
You believe North Korea's propaganda? Otto Warmbier didn't do anything wrong!

These two, on the other hand, are not victims of international terrorism and deserve to be punished. I wish we could beat people in the U.S. who commit vandalism.
I believe it. I don't see what North Korea would have had to gain my framing Warmbier. Personally I wouldn't travel to North Korea. But if I did travel there I would brush up on the laws, and avoid stealing any North Korean propaganda posters, or anything else for that matter. Otherwise I would expect to die in a North Korean prison.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:58 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
This was a pretty horrible thing to do, the walled city is a point of pride for the history and culture of the Lanna Kingdom in Northern Thailand. However I agree with other poster than ten years seems pretty harsh for what is basically a minor property crime, despite the disrespect to the local culture. If some young drunken Thais spray painted the Vietnam Memorial I'd want them punished and to pay to repair it but wouldn't want their youth taken away for ten years because of a stupid decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
They will have ample opportunity to become bi-lingual. Maybe speaking Thai will benefit them in the long run.
From what I've heard about Thai prisons they'll probably learn some Thai but not enough to become bilingual since the farangs tend to end up clumping together by language. They'll spend the next ten years with Australian, British, American, and Canadian drug smugglers, and probably a good share of English speaking folks from India and Nigeria who are in prison for immigration violations.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
I wish we could beat people in the U.S. who commit vandalism
How do you imagine this going down? Like they have a big dude who works for the city as the designated beater? He comes in and starts punching and kicking them, maybe snap a rib or knock some teeth out. Maybe they could have it in a public square so everyone else could scream at the perps as they desperately crawled along getting beaten. Hey why not take it farther and do some tarring and feathering? Maybe a stockade where we can throw tomatoes.

On second thought nah, I'd rather leave the medieval stuff back in the medieval times and have a hope we've advanced past beating people for minor property crimes.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 PM

579 posts, read 367,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
How do you imagine this going down? Like they have a big dude who works for the city as the designated beater? He comes in and starts punching and kicking them, maybe snap a rib or knock some teeth out. Maybe they could have it in a public square so everyone else could scream at the perps as they desperately crawled along getting beaten. Hey why not take it farther and do some tarring and feathering? Maybe a stockade where we can throw tomatoes.

On second thought nah, I'd rather leave the medieval stuff back in the medieval times and have a hope we've advanced past beating people for minor property crimes.

No, whip the backside 25 times, then 6 months jail. Leave the long sentences for violent offenders.

I'm aware this violates the 8th Amendment; it's just that I HATE vandalism, and if I ran a country, that is exactly what I would do. I want our cities to not be so butt ugly with graffiti.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:50 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,434 times
10 years would be a long time to be locked up abroad. Thailand could have a food shortage, coup, war, etc. Their home nations may have their own troubles, maybe even break up into new nations and void their citizenship. They may be permanently stuck there if they can't afford passage home.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Moderator cut: title and details have changed since this thread was posted. The accused are in their 20s and face up to 10 years

https://www.yahoo.com/news/brit-cana...084440088.html

Pretty harsh sentence, but some people just have no respect for other countries. Two teens spray painted an ancient wall in Thailand. Stupid, just stupid.
Yes...the sentence is very harsh. But it is what it is.....obviously that country takes defacing of property (especially an ancient wall) very seriously.

I can never understand why a tourist to another country would EVER do anything deemed illegal in that country.
One should definitely look up the "what you can do's"....and the "what you can't do's) in a foreign country....especially before doing something that you know is considered illegal even in your own country.

Very foolish....I hope they aren't punished severely...I definitely feel sorry for them.
Their parents must be freaked.

Old 10-26-2018, 08:58 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
10 years would be a long time to be locked up abroad. Thailand could have a food shortage, coup, war, etc. Their home nations may have their own troubles, maybe even break up into new nations and void their citizenship. They may be permanently stuck there if they can't afford passage home.
Gosh, that's too bad. Maybe when they get out, they'll be too old to vandalize another countries treasures.

Old 10-26-2018, 05:19 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Gosh, that's too bad. Maybe when they get out, they'll be too old to vandalize another countries treasures.
Our unwillingness to have stiff penalties like Thailand does, is the reason we can't have nice things in the US.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events