Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 AM

405 posts, read 256,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Zoos are critical for creating a wildlife-appreciating constituency.

Nonsense. There have been zoos for a thousand years and it's never slowed down the killing of animals or destruction of their habitat. Can you imagine the millions of animals that have passed through the hell of captivity since humans decided it was their right to own them and gawk at them? Although they breed them now, all animals used to be caught in the wild. The survival rate for wild animals shipped to America 'back in the day' was around 20%. There was a constant stream of captured animals crossing the Atlantic and to Europe to replace those that died, to keep the zoos, circuses and menageries stocked.

There are incredible documentaries on animals living in their natural environments, that are more likely to give people appreciation of preserving their habitats than bored animals lying on fake rocks, staring into space all day.

Last edited by IWLC; 10-25-2018 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 06:13 AM

405 posts, read 256,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
And having no tolerance for suffering of animals certainly can coexist in one's mind with having no tolerance for suffering of humans; why you made them mutually exclusive is very strange to me.

I know. That is the common BS you read under every story of people caring about animals "you care more about the animals than you do about humans....blah, blah, freaking blah" I'd say that people who care about animals are far less likely to hurt another human being. Cruelty to animals and other humans usually goes hand in hand. Those who smack their children around aren't sparing the dog. Those countries with the worst human rights abuses are also those with total disregard for animal suffering.

For the record, I'm proud to be a fanatical animal lover. I'm proud to be a tree hugger. When the last elephant has been shot, when the last fish as been pulled from the ocean and when the last tree comes down, it won't be because of us 'loonies'.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:07 AM

17,116 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
I know. That is the common BS you read under every story of people caring about animals "you care more about the animals than you do about humans....blah, blah, freaking blah" I'd say that people who care about animals are far less likely to hurt another human being. Cruelty to animals and other humans usually goes hand in hand. Those who smack their children around aren't sparing the dog. Those countries with the worst human rights abuses are also those with total disregard for animal suffering.

For the record, I'm proud to be a fanatical animal lover. I'm proud to be a tree hugger. When the last elephant has been shot, when the last fish as been pulled from the ocean and when the last tree comes down, it won't be because of us 'loonies'.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:03 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Yes they are. You may NOT know that's actually an improvement. Some years ago they were categorized by the same authority as endangered which brought them to the attention of international meddlers. Something's working and that might just include efforts used by zoos and oversized animal welfare/conservation groups to educate the non-sanctified masses. Probably most of the useful efforts were made by locally active education and habitat programs but they need funding too. Guess where they get some of it?

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-25-2018 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 01:29 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Violence against lions by lionesses? Where's the #MeToo movement for that?

Old 10-25-2018, 01:37 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Lion says: "We don't need no stinkin' #MeToo movement. We're lions!"

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-25-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 01:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
You sure you went to Sea World?
Polar bears and emperor penguins are not in 100 degree weather. They are in frozen marine habitats full of snow and man-made glaciers. Temperatures below 32 degrees with actual wind, rolling waters, snow, ice, etc. Not sure where you're getting this nonsense from.

Also, if you saw behind the scenes, you'd know that Sea World does A LOT more good for the environment than it does harm, including funding massive restoration projects in dozens of regions of Africa, among others.
Google is your friend!!

This is not nonsense.

A Polar Bear died in 2014 at Sea World Orlando. His name; Klondike.

Last edited by virgode; 10-25-2018 at 02:01 PM..

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
YES it WAS Sea World and it was in Orlando Florida. It might not have been 100 that day, but it was in the high 90's. This was back in the 1970's, so maybe they have wizened up and changed things since then?

Do they still have that short round pool that the dolphins have to swim around and around in, so people can lean over and pet them as they swim past? That was more cruelty that I saw.

I am sad for the animals in captivity, although as you say that SW funds restoration projects in Africa. That is good, but I'd love to know what the CEO of SW takes home in his/her fat pockets each year.
Yes.. the poster is incorrect. .One died during in 2014 as well.
Edit
Klondike was born in '94 and transfered from Denver zoo to Orlando . He died in 2014.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:51 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
While I love a good joke as much as the next person (as evidenced by my satirical post), this one just...misses the mark. Unless the lioness raped the lion.

Just...wah-wahhhh (descending trombone).

Interesting how a certain faction take every single opportunity to claim someone else is constantly bringing up #MeToo. (Wait for it, think about it.) Give it a rest, eh?

BTW, you dudes are way late to the party, read back.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:11 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Captivity must have made that male lion soft. How else could he be killed by a much weaker female?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events