Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 05:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

Had to have been quite a scene. By the time zoo staff responded to the commotion, there was nothing they could do.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1MV0M3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 05:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Zoos are not the normal environment for these animals so it can affect their behavior.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:10 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
So far, the only communication from the lioness has been this, on her Twitter account.

"#metoo"

What, too soon?

Old 10-21-2018, 06:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So far, the only communication from the lioness has been this, on her Twitter account.

"#metoo"

What, too soon?

I guess no means no

Old 10-21-2018, 06:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Zoos are not the normal environment for these animals so it can affect their behavior.
Oh, yeah. Don't even get me started on zoos.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:59 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,895,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

"#metoo"

What, too soon?
LMAO, except she refused to be a victim, and used what God gave her to take charge. This is an impressive feat considering male lions on average are 50% larger than Females, but Females are much more agile, and they are the real killers.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've been watching the Bronx Zoo show on Animal Planet. It's not something I'm normally into but my 5 year old grandson is up so it's a show we both can watch. I'm amazed by how many extinct animals they're trying to save. The whole zoo is about conservation so that others down the line can see some of the amazing animals they have.

No matter what they do they still have loss of some very rare animals, last year a snow leopard got really sick and died. It had some sort of virus. I believe the animal was also on loan from another zoo such as this one that died.

I don't know what the alternatives are to conservation if we didn't have zoos trying to do that. It's very possible this male lion was some how sick, she put it out of it's misery. If they're like the Bronx Zoo they will run tons of tests on it to make sure

Meet the stars of Animal Planet's "The Zoo" season two

Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've been watching the Bronx Zoo show on Animal Planet. It's not something I'm normally into but my 5 year old grandson is up so it's a show we both can watch. I'm amazed by how many extinct animals they're trying to save. The whole zoo is about conservation so that others down the line can see some of the amazing animals they have.

No matter what they do they still have loss of some very rare animals, last year a snow leopard got really sick and died. It had some sort of virus. I believe the animal was also on loan from another zoo such as this one that died.

I don't know what the alternatives are to conservation if we didn't have zoos trying to do that. It's very possible this male lion was some how sick, she put it out of it's misery. If they're like the Bronx Zoo they will run tons of tests on it to make sure

Meet the stars of Animal Planet's "The Zoo" season two
I watch The Zoo a lot too, Rose. I think that Bronx zoo is wonderful. Have you seen the commercials for the Erwins coming back to tv? The kids are all pretty much grown up now! I think the show is called "Crickey!" I am sure Steve would love this!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:18 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
LMAO, except she refused to be a victim, and used what God gave her to take charge. This is an impressive feat considering male lions on average are 50% larger than Females, but Females are much more agile, and they are the real killers.
Females tend to hunt for the pride.

The males tend to have the job of fending off threats, mainly other male lions, hyenas etc.

However, young male lions upon exiting the pride when they get old enough have to do all their own hunting as well as fending off attacks from resident male groups defending the pride\territory.

So, not sure the whole "real killers" thing...it's really a division of labor situation where each party does the jobs that they are better suited for and those roles have been determined by millennia of evolution.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I watch The Zoo a lot too, Rose. I think that Bronx zoo is wonderful. Have you seen the commercials for the Erwins coming back to tv? The kids are all pretty much grown up now! I think the show is called "Crickey!" I am sure Steve would love this!
Yeah, it's called Crickey, it's the Irwins! I knew from the 1st teaser commercial that it was Bindy. I'll be shocked if it's not a hit since everyone is interested in how she's doing since losing her dad. She looks like Steve would be very proud of her, her brother and mom. Mom could have come back to the states to raise them but didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events