Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
because they have to go to either the state crime lab or to the FBI for processing.
You can't just pop these down to 'ol Qwest Diagnostics.
And the state crime labs take, on average, about 4 months to return results. Which is why you hear of some of these folks being kept in jail so long. Especially ones that can't afford bail.
Not true everywhere, when I worked in LE we had a contract with a private lab and the turn around on drug testing was 72 hours, or less if a rush was put on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Public defenders are overworked and don't have much for resources. The reality is, when you're in this situation, you wait for your next court date to take another action, and that can be months.
Of course, cash bail systems for non-violent crimes are a huge part of the problem.

Meh, a lot of people please guilty knowing they aren't guilty. If you plead guilty, you get time served and you're released. If you plead innocent, back in jail you go waiting trial. Many months more of your life. This is what happens when you can't afford cash bail.
Yep, bail is a big part of the problem, California passed a law banning bail and replacing it with a risk assessment. Of course the bail bond industry just gathered enough signatures on a petition for a referendum to overturn the law in 2020, that's unlikely to pass but it will keep the law from going into effect until at least 2024.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:39 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
There have been numerous drug cases before the supreme court and druggies do not win.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/06/28/u...rug-cases.html
Well, then our supreme court is corrupt. and that changes the game entirely, its then up to the people. I posted something similar in another thread on here recently...

Its sort of like the civil rights fight, we have a govt enforcing unconstitutional laws, so people stand up and refuse to comply, Rosa Parks refuses to get up out of her seat, even after police get involved, many are arrested for refusal to obey or comply...of course all these people are honored today for those things...

What if someone just refused to comply with law enforcement over drugs today, maybe lots of people refusing to comply?, Naturally law enforcement will say they were 'just doing their jobs', or 'just trying to protect public safety' (Im sure they said the same things back in the days of civil rights fight too!).

Im doing my part, I will no longer call police if I see drug activity (drug dealing), and Im going to talk with my store employees about this and encourage them not to while at work as well, I dont want to be 'that guy', its time we do something about changing this.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,540 times
Well it is a gateway candy, today its cotton candy, tomorrow its snickers bars ,where will it end?

Old 11-27-2018, 10:54 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
I don't have much to say other than I would be livid. 3 months in jail for cotton candy...

Old 11-27-2018, 10:59 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
If she gets a nice big payout, 3 months inside would be a small price to pay.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Not true everywhere, when I worked in LE we had a contract with a private lab and the turn around on drug testing was 72 hours, or less if a rush was put on it.

I didn't think that was allowed for any state agencies. I mean, things like probation and the like, I could see... But a criminal case.. I suppose if the lab is certified by the state (and DOJ I would suspect) to uphold the chain of custody..

But I do think that the majority of states run their own labs which are required to be used.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I didn't think that was allowed for any state agencies. I mean, things like probation and the like, I could see... But a criminal case.. I suppose if the lab is certified by the state (and DOJ I would suspect) to uphold the chain of custody..

But I do think that the majority of states run their own labs which are required to be used.
It's allowed, the labs are accredited. Large police agencies in California frequently have their own lab, larger ones do their own DNA testing as well. http://www.ncsl.org/Documents/cj/Acc...boratories.pdf

Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:

I understand what you are thinking, that it's kind of like having the fox guard the hen house, but it's really not. In most labs all analyses is verified by a 2nd technician, and a sample is retained for use by the defense. There is little if any motive for a lab tech to lie about results, they don't usually know anything about the case and have no interest in it outside of testing what was presented to them. If a cop wants to falsify results all he/she has to do is plant dope on a suspect, or drop a baggie in the defendants car and allow another cop to 'discover it'. Fortunately very few Police Officers would do that- but it has happened and is easier than trying to get a lab tech to falsify results.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
We called public defenders “public pretenders”. Only the highly motivated ones who were not inclined to be suck-ups would truly challenge a DA.

Heck; your lucky to get one who would even go to trial. They basically function as plea-bargain arrangers. I guess beggars can’t be choosers but they can sure serve to keep the lights on at the jail. It’s the “Poor during an election-year” crime that really gets a response from the courts.
Personal experience says this is true.

Railroaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events