Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But parents do name their children names like Hitler and Aryan. Am I supposed to be cheering for these parents ability to ruin their child lives at such an early age? Woohoo!
All this "passion" over names? Parents do much worse to their children everyday.

As much as I find those names objectionable, a child's entire life will not be ruined. They can change it when they turn 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many service people these days believe they can get away with anything. And they often do. While complaining about how they aren't earning $15 an hour and deserve tons more money for the piddly jobs they do.
Just curious because this is a common theme in your posts.

Have you ever worked for a living beyond your SAHM gig? Do you have any education at all?

What's your deal? Is your hostility because you feel service people are constantly rude to you? If so, maybe it's you and not them.

If you came into my place of business with the attitude that you portray on the forum, I'd put you out the door rather than subject my employees to you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-29-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
The little girl asked her mom why someone was making fun of her name. Wait til the kid is old enough to know that her mom is an idiot.

I wonder what her middle name is...
Middle name probably is GHIJK.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
All this "passion" over names? Parents do much worse to their children everyday.

As much as I find those names objectionable, a child's entire life will not be ruined. They can change it when they turn 18.
You honestly don't believe a name like "Hitler" or "Aryan" won't have a huge impact on a child's life?

This kind of name isn't an outlier in an otherwise emotionally healthy family. Chances are excellent that these names are just the tip of these parents' icebergs.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-29-2018 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 06:57 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Agent is wrong, but damn, that parent is an idiot and deserves to be mocked for naming the kid such a stupid name.

This is just the beginning for the kid...I am sure she will use an alternative name pretty quickly.
Quite the contrary, the parent is ingenious and had to know future mocking of her child's name would result in a lawsuit and her winning millions.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:02 PM

555 posts, read 500,918 times
Mom names child outlandish, unpronounceable, ridiculous, not-a-phonetic-word name.

Mom then complains *on social media* feigning outrage about name being ridiculed on social media.

I try very hard to always consider cultural differences etc in names and naming conventions, but cases like this only showcase the lengths to which certain narcissistic individuals will go to in order to gain more attention and a bigger audience.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Oh, now there's a deeply considered rationalization. So you think gummint is overstepping when they protect children from physical abuse and neglect, too?

Do you even have any children of your own? Because I think this is a topic where parents might just have more of a vote than maiden aunties and childless liberal firebrands.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
Regardless of what anyone thinks about the child's name or of her mother for giving it to her, there is no justification for the gate agent to have publicly targeted the child or her name for ridicule and certainly no justification for having photographed her boarding pass and posted it on social media.

That is the behavior of a 12-year-old bully, not of an adult employed by and representing a major corporate entity ostensibly involved in what is essentially a hospitality role.

The gate agent is entitled to have an opinion about the child's name, but she is not entitled to use it as a weapon to belittle a child who has done her no harm. It is possible to recognize that someone has an odd name or other unusual trait beyond their control and not feel compelled to remark on it or to draw the attention of others to it. Emotionally mature people are able to do it successfully all the time. There is no requirement to belittle anyone because of a difference they did not choose and cannot alter. The mere fact that the child's name was very odd was no excuse for the way the gate agent chose to behave. The child did not "deserve" to be ridiculed, regardless of what her name might have been.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Mom names child outlandish, unpronounceable, ridiculous, not-a-phonetic-word name.

Mom then complains *on social media* feigning outrage about name being ridiculed on social media.

I try very hard to always consider cultural differences etc in names and naming conventions, but cases like this only showcase the lengths to which certain narcissistic individuals will go to in order to gain more attention and a bigger audience.
As a black American, I myself struggle to see the logic or benefit of parents (who are largely poor and uneducated) intentionally giving names to their kids that violate the English language. Which will further subject them to additional scrutiny, discrimination, mockery, prejudic, and bullying outside of an urban enviroment where kids may have similiar silly names.

This is another sad case of parents, with no business procreating, sabotaing their own kids before the kids even have a chance at life.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
My wife is a kindergarten teacher in Minnesota. She had a child named Abcde in her class a few years ago.

You know what? The kids - neither the child with the name nor her peers - don't know that it's a name that sends some adults running for their name safe-space. They have to be taught that.

Whining about someone's name is the very definition of a first-world problem.
The problems arise when the children become older, especially when the parent becomes angry when their name gets misspelled. And yes, parents do get angry when that happens.Grownups get angry when that happens with their own names too. When you deal with the public you run into this.

You may call it a first world problem and you may be correct except for the fact that the whining comes from the person with the difficult name or the one who gave it to them. That's not the fault of the person being chastised for pronouncing or spelling a "unique" name wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events