U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2018, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
4,403 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Reputation: 8015

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
I remember reading of a TSA agent that wouldn't accept a Washington DC drivers license as a valid ID because it wasn't issued by a state.
CYA. The book said "state-issued photo ID" and DC is not a state. He was right, and properly knowledgeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2018, 05:47 PM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 9,864,636 times
Reputation: 22744
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I have had multiple people (in different States) ask for my ID. I show them my Military Retiree (spouse) ID and have been told that they have to see a D.L.

When they insist that it has to be a D.L. I respond that I am blind so, no I do not have a D.L. I really don't understand why there are issues accepting a Federal ID.

Stupid.
My husband has had the same type of issue, only with his birth certificate. He was issued a state department birth certificate because he was born overseas in a military hospital. In places where the DMV and other offices deal with military members frequently, it's never a problem, but where nobody has ever seen such a thing, they just can't wrap their heads around the idea that it's legitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Hawaii/Alabama
1,699 posts, read 3,168,701 times
Reputation: 4412
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My husband has had the same type of issue, only with his birth certificate. He was issued a state department birth certificate because he was born overseas in a military hospital. In places where the DMV and other offices deal with military members frequently, it's never a problem, but where nobody has ever seen such a thing, they just can't wrap their heads around the idea that it's legitimate.
Yes, my eldest son was born in Frankfurt (back when it was West Germany) and has run into issues similar to your husband's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Forest bathing
1,631 posts, read 964,591 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
No way. If we do that, it'll confuse people more, thinking old Mexico is one of the States. It's bad enough we call the USA, America when America is actually a continent.

Mexico is a country. New Mexico is a state.

What about New York, New Hampshire, and New Jersey...

The BEST idea is bring geography back in to schools.
Is it even taught today? No spelling or penmanship? Oh well, itís a changing world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Forest bathing
1,631 posts, read 964,591 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Skeptic View Post
I remember reading of a TSA agent that wouldn't accept a Washington DC drivers license as a valid ID because it wasn't issued by a state.
Yeah, being from the state of Washington, especially back East, I have to reply Washington State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 07:15 PM
 
5,280 posts, read 3,318,179 times
Reputation: 6467
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Yeah, being from the state of Washington, especially back East, I have to reply Washington State.
Having been born and raised in NEPA (Northeastern PA) and having also lived in Arizona twice for a total of 7 years as an adult, there is a certain mindset, no doubt. Growing up, it was always DC/Washington and Washington State in my vocabulary, but in Arizona I would just use Washington to refer to the state and people already knew what I was talking about, it's very interesting living in different parts of the country!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,879 posts, read 2,381,300 times
Reputation: 5335
WHAT really boggles my minds that American's have NO CLUEabout their HISTORY.. AS a Canadian.. I actually experience this back in the 60's//

Be that ismay, New Mexico became a STATE backing 1912.. BEFORE Alaska .. Senator McCain was born in Panama( territory ) and parents both Americans never got labeled as NOT American...

Bottomline island is now and has been for many decades.. American's lack Historical knowledge and still claim all sorts of informations fed to thereby conspiracy theorists. I shake my head, but only blame their"Mentors/Educators that fed inaccurate history.

IF LEOfficer's aren't educated HOW the HELL can they follow the laws on the books?? THEY can't and won't and that goes back many decades. YET still currently, there's still ignorance

New Mexico History~~ Statehood~~
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...oins-the-union
snippet~

The Apache and the Navaho resisted the colonial efforts of the U.S. as they had those of Spain and Mexico, and after three decades of bloodshed, Indian resistance finally ended with the surrender of Geronimo, chief of the Chiricahua Apaches, in 1886. After the suppression of New Mexicoís natives, the population of New Mexico expanded considerably, and many came to participate in the ranching boom brought on by the opening of the Santa Fe Railroad in 1879. In 1912, New Mexico was granted statehood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Forest bathing
1,631 posts, read 964,591 times
Reputation: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Having been born and raised in NEPA (Northeastern PA) and having also lived in Arizona twice for a total of 7 years as an adult, there is a certain mindset, no doubt. Growing up, it was always DC/Washington and Washington State in my vocabulary, but in Arizona I would just use Washington to refer to the state and people already knew what I was talking about, it's very interesting living in different parts of the country!
Yes, I think it is a back East thing. When I visit my NY cousins, they know but they introduce me as their Washington state cousin. In the west, most people know, unless they are from the Midwest or points further east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Howard County, Maryland
5,672 posts, read 3,645,631 times
Reputation: 16604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I lived in New Mexico for four years. Ignorance like this happens fairly frequently. The New Mexico magazine has a section called "One of our fifty is missing." People can send in their stories to be printed in the magazine.
I was passing through New Mexico one time and stopped for the night at a hotel, and found myself thumbing through the New Mexico magazine. I thought "One of Our Fifty is Missing" was hilarious. Hard to believe that those stories in there are true, but I guess they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2018, 10:43 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
WHAT really boggles my minds that American's have NO CLUEabout their HISTORY.. AS a Canadian.. I actually experience this back in the 60's//

Be that ismay, New Mexico became a STATE backing 1912.. BEFORE Alaska .. Senator McCain was born in Panama( territory ) and parents both Americans never got labeled as NOT American...

Bottomline island is now and has been for many decades.. American's lack Historical knowledge and still claim all sorts of informations fed to thereby conspiracy theorists. I shake my head, but only blame their"Mentors/Educators that fed inaccurate history.

IF LEOfficer's aren't educated HOW the HELL can they follow the laws on the books?? THEY can't and won't and that goes back many decades. YET still currently, there's still ignorance

New Mexico History~~ Statehood~~
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...oins-the-union
snippet~

The Apache and the Navaho resisted the colonial efforts of the U.S. as they had those of Spain and Mexico, and after three decades of bloodshed, Indian resistance finally ended with the surrender of Geronimo, chief of the Chiricahua Apaches, in 1886. After the suppression of New Mexico’s natives, the population of New Mexico expanded considerably, and many came to participate in the ranching boom brought on by the opening of the Santa Fe Railroad in 1879. In 1912, New Mexico was granted statehood.
Like heck!
https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/11/u.../11mccain.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6d2ff3c3e1c4

Plus much more! Maybe you don't know as much US history as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top