U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:12 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
137 posts, read 89,686 times
Reputation: 283

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Aren't all school children required to memorize the fifty states and their capitols?

Not anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:13 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
137 posts, read 89,686 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post

I once worked with a girl who thought Kansas was an abbreviation for Arkansas.

Wait...


WHAT???


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:43 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
78,832 posts, read 70,665,916 times
Reputation: 76799
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
New Mexico is a state. I would argue that the name of the territory/state should have been changed in 1912 when statehood was achieved so as to prevent incidents like these.
Too late now. How about simply educating the citizenry as to the names of the 50 states? Too radical a concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
 
Location: The analog world
17,086 posts, read 9,879,331 times
Reputation: 22750
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Aren't all school children required to memorize the fifty states and their capitols?
Someone left me a rep to point out that private schools do not have the same requirements as public schools. True enough. I was thinking of public schools when I wrote my post, which typically do have a state-required geography component in the topic that is now referred to as Social Studies.

Geography is a fascinating subject and one that I do believe receives short-shrift in the STEM-obsessed academic environment of today, and it's further neglected because Social Studies topics are not included in state-mandated student testing. Ironically, a Geographic Information System (GIS) degree opens the door to some pretty great career options that pay very well.

In any case, to me it's inexcusable that someone who has completed middle school, if not elementary school, cannot recognize that New Mexico is a state. That's very disheartening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA
3,907 posts, read 3,589,304 times
Reputation: 7188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/67240...n-by-d-c-clerk
apparently this happens to other people too?

We need to change Mexico to Old Mexico so people know that people from New Mexico are not Mexicans
I guess it's all fun and games because the guy's white and the clerk and her supervisor are black. But I daresay NPR.org may have had a very different take on this story if the applicant was Hispanic and the clerks were white...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 AM
 
843 posts, read 302,881 times
Reputation: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From the Bugs Bunny “I knew I should-a taken a left at Albuquerque”, the road signs in New Mexico must be awful.
In Albuquerque, Route 66 was politicalized, year 1937.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 04:53 PM
 
188 posts, read 107,966 times
Reputation: 1010
I think a big part of it is that so few Americans can afford to travel around their own country. I taught at a school about 7 miles from the beach, and yet most of my poverty-stricken students had never been. Additionally, they had no concept of a vacation. When I read them a book about a family taking a vacation to another state, most of my students thought the main characters were moving permanently. The book blew their minds.

Why bother learning about something you'll never experience first-hand? Seems like a cruel tease.

To the Canadians on this thread who know America so well: do poor Canadians know America, or Canada, as well as you do? I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 06:13 PM
 
4,323 posts, read 885,721 times
Reputation: 2401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
I think a big part of it is that so few Americans can afford to travel around their own country. I taught at a school about 7 miles from the beach, and yet most of my poverty-stricken students had never been. Additionally, they had no concept of a vacation. When I read them a book about a family taking a vacation to another state, most of my students thought the main characters were moving permanently. The book blew their minds.

Why bother learning about something you'll never experience first-hand? Seems like a cruel tease.

To the Canadians on this thread who know America so well: do poor Canadians know America, or Canada, as well as you do? I doubt it.
The short answer is generally yes.

Canadians are very aware of the US... as one wag once said, when the US sneezes, Canada catches a cold. We may not know each States capital, but certainly can generally place which State is in which part of the country. When ever I say I am from Alberta, a place that is as large as Texas, I always say just north of Montana. It surprises me how many people have no idea where Montana is, and generally, they are not impoverished citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Edinburgh,Scotland
364 posts, read 200,111 times
Reputation: 896
A few years ago we stopped for a burger in yuma az and the person behind the counter upon hearing our accent asked where we were from, we replied scotland and she asked how long did it take us to drive to yuma from scotland!.Another one was when we were in memphis tn for xmas and the desk clerk asked us if we celebrate xmas day in scotland on the same day as them i.e.25th dec.Priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2018, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,334 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Reputation: 33532
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhead View Post
A few years ago we stopped for a burger in yuma az and the person behind the counter upon hearing our accent asked where we were from, we replied scotland and she asked how long did it take us to drive to yuma from scotland!.Another one was when we were in memphis tn for xmas and the desk clerk asked us if we celebrate xmas day in scotland on the same day as them i.e.25th dec.Priceless.
I think people in Australia do celebrate Christmas on June 25th though and at what point on your drive over did you have to switch over to the right lane from the left lane you started out on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top