Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 06:11 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,436,489 times

Advertisements

Those irritating people use different phones in order to bypass our Blocked List. Hubby and I can only block 30 numbers, which should work, but doesn't. We considered getting a new phone system that blocks 250 calls, but that will get filled too, plus it's a labor-intensive procedure to clear the List.

We still use a landline with an old manual answering machine with the volume very low. When we don't recognize the caller's number we let the answering machine pick up the call. At the end of the day we just delete all messages. We haven't found a better method yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 06:15 AM

16,826 posts, read 15,100,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Those irritating people use different phones in order to bypass our Blocked List. Hubby and I can only block 30 numbers, which should work, but doesn't. We considered getting a new phone system that blocks 250 calls, but that will get filled too, plus it's a labor-intensive procedure to clear the List.

We still use a landline with an old manual answering machine with the volume very low. When we don't recognize the caller's number we let the answering machine pick up the call. At the end of the day we just delete all messages. We haven't found a better method yet.
Here's the issue: They aren't even different phones. It's EXTREMELY EASY to get a new "virtual number" within seconds, with whichever area code you want. There are countless platforms one can use to achieve this.

Heck, my direct work line is a virtual number I created, with the purpose of being able to shut it off when I don't feel like being disturbed for work purposes.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:26 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,684,684 times
It's quite annoying actually. Every single day I receive 2-3 calls and every time it happens I file a complaint to the do not call website. Honestly think that filing a complaint makes it worse and nobody in that department does their job.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:36 AM

5,429 posts, read 3,995,572 times
they are all spoofing numbers now. I have a hard time figuring out how to answer my cell (swiping is involved) and I have seen an out of state number, that I couldn't answer in time, change to a local number once I went to recent history, right before my eyes.

If it's important they'll leave a message.

My sister has NoMoRoBo on their landline (VOIP I think). Callers are told to press one to continue. Robots don't do that. It rings once and then it hangs up since no one has pressed one. They can program in numbers of friends and family they want to bypass the system.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 AM

50,133 posts, read 63,553,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I never answer my phone anymore, unless I know the number that is calling me. So annoying, something really needs to be done about this
We do this too, but we do, on occasion, miss an important call. I usually pick up and if someone doesn’t speak immediately, I hang up.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:50 AM

3,661 posts, read 4,801,635 times
It's very annoying but I really have to answer the phone. I have a boat detailing business as well as a small charter boat so since I live in MD I have to take any call from any of the surrounding states.

There are calls I have intentionally not answered because I did not feel like going to the other room to get my phone because it is just "another robo call" and later hearing an actual message from a possible customer. So these calls are making me miss out on some work.

Likewise, I am on the kidney transplant list and am in the time frame that I should get my call soon, could be today, could be a year from now. But again, I may not go running to my phone for every call like I did before starting to receive these calls.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,404,837 times
Picked up one time for a persistent unsolicited caller, nothing pertaining to any company I have actually done business with. The caller stated he represented *proceeds to list off 4 major banks' names all run together* I laughed and hung up.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:51 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,350,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Three tips I learned: never say hello or hi. Do not state your name...and lastly....talk in an obscure foreign language. If for nothing else.. you get to hear how funny you sound. I'm pretty sure I made up a new foreign language ...even my dog looked impressed as I rattled on.
My method is pretty simple. If I don't know who is calling, I don't answer and later look up those numbers to see if they are spam numbers. If they are, I add them to the block list. If the call was legit, they will leave voicemail.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:10 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,404,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
My method is pretty simple. If I don't know who is calling, I don't answer and later look up those numbers to see if they are spam numbers. If they are, I add them to the block list. If the call was legit, they will leave voicemail.
This, and this again.

Speaking to an attorney about an unrelated matter, if a voicemail is not left, it is not considered a legitimate attempt to reach someone.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:31 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,359,339 times
If you answered your phone and they asked "is this so and so?" Never say "yes" but something like "speaking" instead.

I heard that they'll take what you said in your own voice as a consent for something in their scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events